• 54(current)
Asus Chromebox announcement
via help from several Matts I found the problem. I'll post the fix here if anyone else runs into the same issue. It amounts to wakeup not being enabled in
/sys/bus/usb/devices/*/power/wakeup
-
the fix was to add udev rule:
sudo vi /etc/udev/rules.d/90-keyboardwakeup.rules

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="046d", ATTRS{idProduct}=="c52b" RUN+="/bin/sh -c 'echo enabled > /sys$env{DEVPATH}/../power/wakeup'"
--
(the device vendor/product have to match your device which can be obtained vi lsusb)
-
Also this thread talks about how to fix mce which I do not use but someone else mentioned as being a problem:
http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.ph...68487.html
--
The thread is in context with ubuntu but i believe this is generic linux stuff.
Just read through this whole thread. Good stuff.

My desktop PC just died, which I was using as a quasi-media box. Had it hooked up to my TV and denon receiver (pre-HDMI - currently use optical connection).

I primarily listen to FLAC audio. I'm not a big movie guy. Have an external 2TB HD over half full of music. As most of this is (legal) live music downloaded from bt.etree.org, the files aren't tagged very well.... but I have my own file structure with artist name, etc, so the files are easy to navigate (at least in my mind). I just learned about XBMC, and tried it out on my laptop - seems to be a great solution for my rather simple needs.

Looking at getting a Chromebox and loading Openelec/XBMC to act as a means of playing music through my receiver. Initially had thought about a RPi but for only about $50 more (once you buy all the accessories) a Chromebox seems much more robust.

I have zero linux experience but am generally comfortable experimenting with computers. I build my last Windows desktop. With the robust instructions out there I'm pretty sure I could make it work.

A few questions for the guru's on here:

1) Can any audiophiles (or non audiophiles that appreciate decent sound quality) comment on the audio quality coming out of the 1/8" and HDMI ports? Unfortunately my receiver is a bit older and doesn't have HDMI. I may consider a converter such as this one that was posted in the forum a while back http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=10...1&format=2 I'll probably upgrade my receiver sometime in the next couple years, but not planning on it too soon. Sound quality is a primary concern.

2) Is it possible to turn the Chromebox into an NAS as well? I have been toying with the idea of buying or building an NAS for a while. I think from what I've read on other forums I would have to install Ubuntu instead of openelec, and configure the NAS in the background... running XBMC over the top. From what I've read the stability of openelec is much better than Ubuntu for the Chromebox application, and given my level of Linux experience I don't really want to bit off more than I can chew. Is the Chromebox robust enough to handle this? Alternatively, if I plug my external HD into the Chromebox, would I at least be able to see it over the network from my laptop to access files if I wanted to if I ran openelec and don't bother with an NAS?

3) Any difference in the configuration of the ASUS vs HP chromebox? The HP is on sale for $150 on Amazon right now. Most of the instructions on this thread specifically call out ASUS.

Thanks in advance!
Mark
I bought a USB to SPDIF converter with a CM6631A chip on eBay to use with my HP Chromebox. I need to feed a DSP with coax SPDIF. I didn't try the 1/8" analog output so I can't comment on that.

I guess you could make a NAS out of one, but you would need to use USB HDs. I would think there are better options that can use internal drives.

I've dabbled a little with Linux here and there in the past but have primarily been a Windows user. OpenELEC isn't too hard to get working but it doesn't quite seem to have the polish of XBMC on Windows. There is a lot of documentation / wiki's, / how to's, but a lot of it is conflicting / contrary because behaviors change with different versions and there are many different possible workarounds for a problem so when something doesn't work it can be frustrating to try and find the right solution.
(2014-05-10, 14:44)tetsuya Wrote:
(2014-05-10, 10:14)MacBurp Wrote:
(2014-05-10, 09:18)Matt Devo Wrote: link?

http://reviewingtech.com/install-android...ook-pixel/
http://liliputing.com/2013/02/how-to-run...pixel.html
http://community.arm.com/groups/android-...chromebook

No idea if this could work on the chromebox, would be cool to know either way Smile

I tried android-x86 in live mode, installed some apps from fdroid just to test out and they all loaded up and executed.
I then tried xbmc-13 and the xbmc daily from 05/09 and they installed, but they immediately exited with an error of
xbmc has stopped working. I tried the iso's from the following.

android-x86-4.4-RC1.iso:
http://www.android-x86.org/download
android_x86-4.4.iso:
http://www.reddit.com/r/chrubuntu/commen...for_c720p/

You can run android on the chromebox, but these iso's don't have the arm translation layer that intel's build does.
So you'll only be able to run x86 apks. Also if you let android go to the lockscreen and idle, the fan in the chromebox
will ramp up to full speed and sound like a grinder ginding something. This has been the only time I have ever heard
the fan this loud before and not even in Xubuntu playing Hi10p anime maxing out most of both the cores.

Hi,
Can you tell me how to install Android on a Chromebox ?
Thanks
(2014-08-24, 00:40)figaro Wrote: Hi,
Thanks

download the ISO, write to a USB stick, and boot it. Don't expect hardware-accelerated video playback in XBMC though, so it's pretty useless
(2014-08-24, 01:19)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-08-24, 00:40)figaro Wrote: Hi,
Thanks

download the ISO, write to a USB stick, and boot it. Don't expect hardware-accelerated video playback in XBMC though, so it's pretty useless

Thanks for the answer
I am thinking of dual booting install, where XBMC will be installed on openELECT and Android is installed on the chrome side. Is it still a useless set-up ?
Regards.
(2014-08-24, 07:51)figaro Wrote: Thanks for the answer
I am thinking of dual booting install, where XBMC will be installed on openELECT and Android is installed on the chrome side. Is it still a useless set-up ?
Regards.

There's not really a Chrome-side per se, and all you are doing is dual booting two Linux based OSes, which is of course perfectly doable. I'm still not sure how much functionality you'd get from Android, due to lack of hardware accelerated video playback. So Netflix etc wouldn't work all that well
(2014-08-22, 20:21)dontknowhow Wrote: via help from several Matts I found the problem. I'll post the fix here if anyone else runs into the same issue. It amounts to wakeup not being enabled in
/sys/bus/usb/devices/*/power/wakeup
-
the fix was to add udev rule:
sudo vi /etc/udev/rules.d/90-keyboardwakeup.rules

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="046d", ATTRS{idProduct}=="c52b" RUN+="/bin/sh -c 'echo enabled > /sys$env{DEVPATH}/../power/wakeup'"
--
(the device vendor/product have to match your device which can be obtained vi lsusb)
-
Also this thread talks about how to fix mce which I do not use but someone else mentioned as being a problem:
http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.ph...68487.html
--
The thread is in context with ubuntu but i believe this is generic linux stuff.

I don't know anything about Linux, or how to do any of the above. Will this be fixed in a future update? Or will I need to do this? My remote used to wake the system occasionally (I've ordered a different MCE receiver to hopefully fix that), but after the latest update, it will not wake at all, ever.

Standalone Openelec install on Celeron Chromebox.
(2014-08-25, 18:34)Walrus Wrote: I don't know anything about Linux, or how to do any of the above. Will this be fixed in a future update? Or will I need to do this? My remote used to wake the system occasionally (I've ordered a different MCE receiver to hopefully fix that), but after the latest update, it will not wake at all, ever.

Standalone Openelec install on Celeron Chromebox.

No, most MCE IR receivers should work out of the box, esp if listed as working on the wiki. If yours stopped working, providing the make/model as well as submitting a bug report to the OpenELEC folks would be the way to go. I'd also recommend downgrading to the previous OE release to ensure it still works there.
It's a Rosewill remote & dongle, not listed in the wiki. The HP MCE receivers listed are next to impossible to find here in Canada, unless you want to pay $90+ ! I've ordered one on ebay for $12, but the fine print states '100% manufacturer compatible. Equivalent Replacement Part' so I'm worried I'm going to receive a piece of junk. Should have just bought a flirc.
hi everyone, im a newby, i hope someone can help me. i followed the scripting steps and arrived at the same issue posted here. As the error below shows. I then used the Google restore image to restore the system back to load Chromeos and the system will not boot. i suspect this might be releated to the updated firmware that the script delivers compare to the original firmware. Please adivse, as i have a new error message after the restore.

"Booting from Hard Disk...
early console in decompress_kernel
KASLR using RDRAND...

Decompressing Linux... Parsing ELF... Performing relocations... done.
Booting the kernel."

New Error after system Restore.

"processin linux parsing elf performing relocations done starting kernel"

Please help.
Have you followed this guide ; http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=ASU...k_Firmware

You can't boot the Chrome OS restore image with the standalone Firmware/BIOS installed, you need to restore the original Firmware/BIOS first. To do this you need a bootable Chromium (not Chrome) OS USB stick to run the instructions to restore the factory firmware. (Chromium and Chrome OSs are not exactly the same)
Thank you for the feedback, however, im still having difficulties, as pressing ESC to get the boot menu does not work. I had modified the boot settings to boot up to OpenLec quickly per the instructions for the OpenLec install.

Thank you,
(2014-08-26, 04:44)sylinvain Wrote: Thank you for the feedback, however, im still having difficulties, as pressing ESC to get the boot menu does not work. I had modified the boot settings to boot up to OpenLec quickly per the instructions for the OpenLec install.

Thank you,

What it sounds like is that you did a dual boot install with OE default, and then used the ChromeOS recovery media. in which case, you need to hit [CTRL-D] *before* the black SeaBIOS boot screen to get into ChromeOS. Because you used the recovery media, it restored ChromeOS and the factory SeaBIOS payload, which as you discovered is broken and doesn't allow any keyboard input.
you certainly know your stuff Matt. I got Chrome back with your suggestion. I don't know how much trouble i'm in with the Dual boot option, i'd like to simply get OpenLec on with XBMC and see how well this works. The alternative is to figure out how to get just Chrome OS to boot, single boot, and return this thing back. Thoughts?

Thanks you, i was going nuts over here with this thing.
  • 54(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Asus Chromebox announcement8