Asus Chromebox announcement

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 4.33 Average
dontknowhow Offline
via help from several Matts I found the problem. I'll post the fix here if anyone else runs into the same issue. It amounts to wakeup not being enabled in
/sys/bus/usb/devices/*/power/wakeup
-
the fix was to add udev rule:
sudo vi /etc/udev/rules.d/90-keyboardwakeup.rules

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="046d", ATTRS{idProduct}=="c52b" RUN+="/bin/sh -c 'echo enabled > /sys$env{DEVPATH}/../power/wakeup'"
--
(the device vendor/product have to match your device which can be obtained vi lsusb)
-
Also this thread talks about how to fix mce which I do not use but someone else mentioned as being a problem:
http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.ph...68487.html
--
The thread is in context with ubuntu but i believe this is generic linux stuff.
find quote
fedman41 Offline
Just read through this whole thread. Good stuff.

My desktop PC just died, which I was using as a quasi-media box. Had it hooked up to my TV and denon receiver (pre-HDMI - currently use optical connection).

I primarily listen to FLAC audio. I'm not a big movie guy. Have an external 2TB HD over half full of music. As most of this is (legal) live music downloaded from bt.etree.org, the files aren't tagged very well.... but I have my own file structure with artist name, etc, so the files are easy to navigate (at least in my mind). I just learned about XBMC, and tried it out on my laptop - seems to be a great solution for my rather simple needs.

Looking at getting a Chromebox and loading Openelec/XBMC to act as a means of playing music through my receiver. Initially had thought about a RPi but for only about $50 more (once you buy all the accessories) a Chromebox seems much more robust.

I have zero linux experience but am generally comfortable experimenting with computers. I build my last Windows desktop. With the robust instructions out there I'm pretty sure I could make it work.

A few questions for the guru's on here:

1) Can any audiophiles (or non audiophiles that appreciate decent sound quality) comment on the audio quality coming out of the 1/8" and HDMI ports? Unfortunately my receiver is a bit older and doesn't have HDMI. I may consider a converter such as this one that was posted in the forum a while back http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=10...1&format=2 I'll probably upgrade my receiver sometime in the next couple years, but not planning on it too soon. Sound quality is a primary concern.

2) Is it possible to turn the Chromebox into an NAS as well? I have been toying with the idea of buying or building an NAS for a while. I think from what I've read on other forums I would have to install Ubuntu instead of openelec, and configure the NAS in the background... running XBMC over the top. From what I've read the stability of openelec is much better than Ubuntu for the Chromebox application, and given my level of Linux experience I don't really want to bit off more than I can chew. Is the Chromebox robust enough to handle this? Alternatively, if I plug my external HD into the Chromebox, would I at least be able to see it over the network from my laptop to access files if I wanted to if I ran openelec and don't bother with an NAS?

3) Any difference in the configuration of the ASUS vs HP chromebox? The HP is on sale for $150 on Amazon right now. Most of the instructions on this thread specifically call out ASUS.

Thanks in advance!
Mark
(This post was last modified: Today 04:47 by fedman41.)
find quote
Stereodude Offline
I bought a USB to SPDIF converter with a CM6631A chip on eBay to use with my HP Chromebox. I need to feed a DSP with coax SPDIF. I didn't try the 1/8" analog output so I can't comment on that.

I guess you could make a NAS out of one, but you would need to use USB HDs. I would think there are better options that can use internal drives.

I've dabbled a little with Linux here and there in the past but have primarily been a Windows user. OpenELEC isn't too hard to get working but it doesn't quite seem to have the polish of XBMC on Windows. There is a lot of documentation / wiki's, / how to's, but a lot of it is conflicting / contrary because behaviors change with different versions and there are many different possible workarounds for a problem so when something doesn't work it can be frustrating to try and find the right solution.
(This post was last modified: Today 05:30 by Stereodude.)
find quote