• 55(current)
Asus Chromebox announcement
(2014-08-26, 05:15)sylinvain Wrote: you certainly know your stuff Matt. I got Chrome back with your suggestion. I don't know how much trouble i'm in with the Dual boot option, i'd like to simply get OpenLec on with XBMC and see how well this works. The alternative is to figure out how to get just Chrome OS to boot, single boot, and return this thing back. Thoughts?

Thanks you, i was going nuts over here with this thing.

OE works fine in both dual boot or standalone, so just re-run the steps to download/run the script and choose whatever option you prefer. I'm going to guess the reason the dual boot setup didn't work before was that you didn't do a factory reset/recovery before you ran the script the first time
i went through the steps again starting with option 5 for stand alone. i did not start in the beginning with the steps to wipe the drive and partition it. i followed through with backing up the firmware and then creating the openlec install on a second usb drive. upon reboot, im not able to hist ESC nor does the CTL D option work any longer. I tried to start the unit with the paper clip to see if i have the option for the factory restore, but that option does not load either upon boot. Any thoughts? besides sleep, i must be missing something here.

And to respond to your prior note, i did not mean to perform a dual boot, i was just following the instructions, after long day, as usual and neglected to skip down to the standalone option and just went in sequence.

Thanks again,
(2014-08-26, 06:28)sylinvain Wrote: i went through the steps again starting with option 5 for stand alone. i did not start in the beginning with the steps to wipe the drive and partition it. i followed through with backing up the firmware and then creating the openlec install on a second usb drive. upon reboot, im not able to hist ESC nor does the CTL D option work any longer. I tried to start the unit with the paper clip to see if i have the option for the factory restore, but that option does not load either upon boot. Any thoughts? besides sleep, i must be missing something here.

And to respond to your prior note, i did not mean to perform a dual boot, i was just following the instructions, after long day, as usual and neglected to skip down to the standalone option and just went in sequence.

Thanks again,

After you use the standalone option, which flashes the custom firmware, [CTRL-D/L] and the recovery button (paper clip) are no longer functional, as they exist only as part of the stock firmware.

If you're not getting the 'press ESC for boot menu' text, it means your USB stick isn't being detected, so try to create the OpenELEC install media using another PC, following instructions on OE site to do so.

If you are getting the 'press ESC for boot menu' text, and the SeaBIOS version string has my name at the end, but [ESC] isn't working, then you need to use a different keyboard
Hi Matt, thanks again for the quality support. Feedback --> Definitely don't create OpenElec USB bootable media using Windows (i'm on 8x). I recreated, using the same USB media on the Mac, following the Wiki instructions from OE and that worked out lovely. Additionally, I switched from using the MS Wireless Keyboard to Dell wired USB keyboard and was able to use the ESC feature to launch the boot menu to select the correct media (USB) to boot from. From there the OE install was simple. I'm now running OE. I plan to perform an update because i want to run the latest version of XBMC Kodi. If you have any feedback for the upgrade process or links, please share. Again, thank you for the great support, have a nice day.
(2014-08-26, 18:38)sylinvain Wrote: Hi Matt, thanks again for the quality support. Feedback --> Definitely don't create OpenElec USB bootable media using Windows (i'm on 8x). I recreated, using the same USB media on the Mac, following the Wiki instructions from OE and that worked out lovely. Additionally, I switched from using the MS Wireless Keyboard to Dell wired USB keyboard and was able to use the ESC feature to launch the boot menu to select the correct media (USB) to boot from. From there the OE install was simple. I'm now running OE. I plan to perform an update because i want to run the latest version of XBMC Kodi. If you have any feedback for the upgrade process or links, please share. Again, thank you for the great support, have a nice day.

that's why I have the script function to create the OE media for you Smile

updating OE on the CB is same as any other PC, just follow instructions on OE wiki for manual update. That means copy the downloaded .tar file into the \update folder on the CB (which is shared via SMB), then reboot

I wouldn't be in a rush to test out the XBMC 14/Kodi alpha versions however, since they are redoing the VAAPI video acceleration, and it's probably not in a terribly stable state ATM
Hello!

I did this http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=194362
with option 1 ChromeOS + OpenELEC
and now when I try to boot into OpenElec

I get error that "Booting from Hard Disk..."
and it just hangs

I can get into ChromeOS when booting using CTRL-D

My Legacy BIOS does not need updating
(2014-08-31, 21:30)zz000ter Wrote: Hello!

I did this http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=194362
with option 1 ChromeOS + OpenELEC
and now when I try to boot into OpenElec

I get error that "Booting from Hard Disk..."
and it just hangs

I can get into ChromeOS when booting using CTRL-D

My Legacy BIOS does not need updating

did you perform a factory reset using the recovery media as described in step 1.3 of the wiki? If not, that's your issue (and what I'd recommend you do either way), so do that then redo the dual boot setup.
Thanks! I did the factory reset via USB stick and then redid the whole process and it works now.

My next question - how do I get my PS3 bluetooth remote working with OpenELEC/XBMC?
I go into settings and am told that there is no bluetooth adapter found
I would love to use that remote for XBMC

TIA
(2014-09-01, 00:23)zz000ter Wrote: Thanks! I did the factory reset via USB stick and then redid the whole process and it works now.

My next question - how do I get my PS3 bluetooth remote working with OpenELEC/XBMC?
I go into settings and am told that there is no bluetooth adapter found
I would love to use that remote for XBMC

TIA

there's an issue with the PS3 BT remote in OpenELEC 4.1.x currently, you should do a manual update and downgrade to the stable version 4.0.7.

After that, go to System --> OpenELEC --> Services and enable Bluetooth, then you should be able to pair it under the BT section
Matt - thanks for the help.
Before I read your message, I managed to get the PS3 remote paired but then the OpenELEC hung

since nothing was happening, I turned off the box and then turned it on.
Now I get a message

*** Error in check_disks: could not repair filesystem, dropping to debug shell, try to run 'fsck' manually: ***
### Starting debug shell ... type exit to quit ###
sh: can't access tty: job control turned off
#

but when I enter fsck it says

fsck from util-linux 2.25

nothing happens

do I have to reinstall everything?
(2014-09-01, 01:43)zz000ter Wrote: Matt - thanks for the help.
Before I read your message, I managed to get the PS3 remote paired but then the OpenELEC hung

since nothing was happening, I turned off the box and then turned it on.
Now I get a message

*** Error in check_disks: could not repair filesystem, dropping to debug shell, try to run 'fsck' manually: ***
### Starting debug shell ... type exit to quit ###
sh: can't access tty: job control turned off
#

but when I enter fsck it says

fsck from util-linux 2.25

nothing happens

do I have to reinstall everything?

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=ASU...leshooting
I got an Asus Chromebox M031U yesterday and put Openelec on it standalone. It's a cracking little machine and I'm considering getting another already.

I haven't managed to get Wake On Lan working though - I'll try again tonight.

I also plan on getting a dedicated remote control for it - are there any recommendations ?
(2014-09-10, 17:54)defsdoor Wrote: I got an Asus Chromebox M031U yesterday and put Openelec on it standalone. It's a cracking little machine and I'm considering getting another already.

I haven't managed to get Wake On Lan working though - I'll try again tonight.

I also plan on getting a dedicated remote control for it - are there any recommendations ?

WOL only works when the box is suspended, not fully powered off

lots of remote options listed in the wiki
I seem to have a problem with suspend/resume. 3 times out of 4, the network will not work after resuming, and sometimes the whole OS just hangs. powercycling via the button is the only option.

Running openelec as standalone on mine.

Anyone else seen this, or know of a fix?
(2014-09-16, 06:31)odinb Wrote: I seem to have a problem with suspend/resume. 3 times out of 4, the network will not work after resuming, and sometimes the whole OS just hangs. powercycling via the button is the only option.

Running openelec as standalone on mine.

Anyone else seen this, or know of a fix?

firmware version? OE version? wired or wireless?
  • 55(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Asus Chromebox announcement8