XBMC Noob Music library issues. help?
Smile 
Ok so I have been digging in as deep as I can with XBMC and I love it but I have run into something that I havent quite figured out how to resolve. The way a music artist is displayed in Music Library is irking me. I have a feeling this may be more than one issue at work and have something to with both me and a program or scraper being confused.

I will use the artist that got me started down this spiral - "Weird Al" Yankovic. For example I have XBMC set to read tags. I have the entire Weird Al discography. In Artist view in the Music Library he shows up three times. Once as "Weird Al" Yankovic showing 8 of the 13 albums, once as Weird Al showing 1 of his albums, and Once as Weird Al Yankovic showing 12 of 13 albums. The last two instances reflect reading of the folders and filenaming used.

Of course I would like to have them all show up under one artist. I scraped with Univeral Album/Artist scraper and theAudiodb scraper. Not sure if this may be a cause of problems. Cleaned library once. And I am not sure completely how to find this but i think the tags are ID3. Also, nowhere in file names or tags are any of the song's artists or album artist "Weird Al" Yankovic with the quotes.

Anyone have any ideas or help to sort these items better, even if its just to tell me i'm a noob and to go to such and such? Should I just start over without a scraper?
TIA

Not sure if it matters but openelec 3.2.4 generic x86-64 Frodo 12.2
If you have any doubt about the tags, install MP3Tag, drag all the albums into it, select all files (Ctrl-A) and update all "Artist" and "Album Artist" fields with Weird Al, save, and then see what happens. That will ensure there are no tag conflicts.

BTW, if you have the entire collection of Weird Al, you may have other issues Smile
@whitebelly - <BWHAHAHAHA!!!>
(2014-01-31, 17:00)Zoltan23 Wrote: Ok so I have been digging in as deep as I can with XBMC and I love it but I have run into something that I havent quite figured out how to resolve. The way a music artist is displayed in Music Library is irking me. I have a feeling this may be more than one issue at work and have something to with both me and a program or scraper being confused.

I will use the artist that got me started down this spiral - "Weird Al" Yankovic. For example I have XBMC set to read tags. I have the entire Weird Al discography. In Artist view in the Music Library he shows up three times. Once as "Weird Al" Yankovic showing 8 of the 13 albums, once as Weird Al showing 1 of his albums, and Once as Weird Al Yankovic showing 12 of 13 albums. The last two instances reflect reading of the folders and filenaming used.

Of course I would like to have them all show up under one artist. I scraped with Univeral Album/Artist scraper and theAudiodb scraper. Not sure if this may be a cause of problems. Cleaned library once. And I am not sure completely how to find this but i think the tags are ID3. Also, nowhere in file names or tags are any of the song's artists or album artist "Weird Al" Yankovic with the quotes.

Anyone have any ideas or help to sort these items better, even if its just to tell me i'm a noob and to go to such and such? Should I just start over without a scraper?
TIA

Not sure if it matters but openelec 3.2.4 generic x86-64 Frodo 12.2

id say whitebelly is probably on the money with a naming issue in your tags.
i have the same issues which im slowly resolving.
my music collection has been neglected and dis organized for many years as ive
added to it and its now a horrible mess which will take a lot of time to fix.
so good luck to both of us Smile
I have had problems with unusual unicode characters in names. (Quotes in "Wierd Al" being one) Often these are hard to tell apart just visually. Agree that mp3tag will help to deconflict these, but I have had a problem with mp3tag putting in a unicode BOM (0xFEFF) and mp3tag treats names with or without the BOM as identical, while other software will treat as different names (I think XBMC is in that category).

scott s.
I use Tagscanner. It seems everyone uses mp3tag, but I have never heard anyone recommend Tagscanner. Anything mp3tag does better or more completely?

To the original poster--I have the same issues with similar, yet duplicate artists. What I do is a search in Windows Explorer...in your case "Yankovic" and drag these into Tagscanner. Then, under the Album Artist and Artist categories I highlight all the tracks and change the name the way I want it and click "save".

Then, you'll need to do a library clean and update (in XBMC). This should straighten everything out.

B.
Should also note that in Gotham, you can add the MUSICBRAINZ_ARTISTID tag. If you do that, and enable the setting to have Musicbrainz override what is in the artist tag, all those instances of "Weird Al" will be replaced by whatever name MusicBrainz has in its database (MBID 7746d775-9550-4360-b8d5-c37bd448ce01 “Weird Al” Yankovic).

scott s.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Noob Music library issues. help?0