Best remote for XBMC + TV + Receiver?
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but I was wondering if you guys can point me to a good remote that can control not only XBMC within windows, but my receiver and TV as well. There are a ton of remotes out there but some that I am finding do way too much for me to need. Is there a type of remote that I should be looking for that will do all of my equipment and XBMC? I've seen remotes that even turn the computer on and off too but they don't do much else. I'd appreciate the help.

I'd prefer a touch screen remote of some sort, but the ones I see, like the Harmony series, have more features than I'd ever use. I'm mainly looking for something basic that can use XBMC, control Media Player Classic, and also work with the rest of my home theatre equipment. (TV and Receiver). I'm not using cable tv or anything as of yet, just to be clear. And my HTPC will have a blu ray player in it already.
I love walking into Radio Shack and when the worker asks what you need, I say "I'm looking for a 1N4148 Diode." Then they have the look on their face of absolute uselessness. If it's not a cell phone, they just don't know what it is any more.
Harmony
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I am with nickr, the harmony remotes are great! I have 2 of them and love them both. Touch screens eat up battery life big time though, just fyi. If your equipment has cec ability, even a cheap 15 dollar remote can control the basics of each system. Its when your equipment has special features like internet apps that they cant control and that is where the harmony comes into play.
I think I'm going to end up with the new Harmony. The Ultimate one has features to control Phillips Hue lighting too. I showed it to my wife and now we both agree we should get it. Smile This HTPC and home theatre room is getting costly, but at least it will be awesome!
I love walking into Radio Shack and when the worker asks what you need, I say "I'm looking for a 1N4148 Diode." Then they have the look on their face of absolute uselessness. If it's not a cell phone, they just don't know what it is any more.
Harmony.

Harmony smart is particularly good because they left out the shitty little plastic screen that smashes each and every time guaranteed if you drop it onto anything firmer than sponge.

I have to say the smart and software is the best logitech have done, its a really good remote.
I have an 880 and the touch. The 880 has been dropped onto hardwood floors probably over a hundred times over the course of its life. Battery flying across the room and all and the only issue it has ever developed is that the motion sensor in it to detect movement so it will light up, quit working somewhere early on in its life. I cant believe the abuse it has taken and still works fine. Havent tested the durability on the touch yet though lol. The 880 has been discontinued for a long time now and yet, if you can find it new, costs the same as it did early on in its life, expensive! It has been a beast I tell ya! The touch is ok but some of its button placements are just in bad spots, they screwed up on this design but if you can overlook that, its not bad for its price,
We've decided not to venture into the Phillips Hue lighting and I bought just the Harmony Touch. Awesome remote. works great for all my other devices but I need to get a good IR Receiver to use it on the PC. Can you guys help me out and point me to the best one for the job? I want all available features. I see that many people use the HP receiver (gray box looking one) with great success. I bought a receiver from ebay that is supposed to be RC6 capable and all, but it's giving me issues and I can't get a driver to install for it.

Thanks for your help!
This receiver is what I use. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00224Z...UTF8&psc=1
In the harmony you set it up as ORtek Media Center PC (VRC-1100)
Is it the best? I have no idea, but it is very cheap and works well. I used it on my pc and currently use it connected to my raspberry pi.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/FLIRC-Dongle-Med...B00BB0ETW8

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best remote for XBMC + TV + Receiver?0