VLC to XBMC raspberry PI
Question 
Dear Friends,

I'm trying to stream from my PC to XBMC PI using VLC. I checked many threads which are discussing this process. I tried a lot. But I get only an audio streaming no video.

Does anyone tried this before?

Thanks
If you let us know what you are streaming (file type, media info, codec, etc), what settings/approach you tried (in VLC or other, are you transcoding?) and how you opened the stream in VLC (upnp server, strm file, other?) then you might get some direction. What steps you took? What didn't work? Otherwise, your problem description is way to vague.

Consider checking your debug log as well.
Hello Whitebelly,

Yes you are right about the details. Here what I did further:
I want to stream my Dreambox channel to the XBMC (PI) via VLC. Firstly, I made a stream in the VLC as below:
1. Media/open network stream/I add the channel link then Stream.
2. New Destination> HTTP (click add)
3. Port : 8008 ( this is my NAT forward port). then Next
4. Activate Transcoding (active). Then, I chose the profile (Video-MPEG-2+MPGA(TS)). then Next Edit
5. I clicked (Edit) and I chose (Encapsulation = MPEG-TS), (Video code = MPEG-2) and (Audio code = MPEG Audio). then Save
6. Finally, Next and Stream.

I created stream.strm file and I put the current file link (http://mypcIP:8008) in the file. Then, I put this file in the video playlist file inside the Raspberry PI.

when I run the streaming, I click the strm file in the XBMC. I get only the audio no video. I tried different video and audio type and it gives same result and sometime no stream.

I hope you all understand this long story.

Thanks in advance.

Ali
do you have a license for mpeg2 on your pi? If not, try h264 instead.
(2014-02-06, 23:16)wsnipex Wrote: do you have a license for mpeg2 on your pi? If not, try h264 instead.

No I don't have but I will try h264. Thanks
IF that doesn't work.......High bandwidth video can cause streaming problems as well. Is that a 1080i stream? if so, you might want to reduce the resolution (scale) or frameraite (fps) in your transcode... or maybe try de-interlace?
(2014-02-07, 00:12)whitebelly Wrote: IF that doesn't work.......High bandwidth video can cause streaming problems as well. Is that a 1080i stream? if so, you might want to reduce the resolution (scale) or frameraite (fps) in your transcode... or maybe try de-interlace?

Yes, thanks for your response. I will do that also.

Thanks
this may seem like a silly question, but why dont you simply use the VU+ tv addon?

then you can change channels etc using the addon, set schedules etc
(2014-02-07, 08:05)Dam0 Wrote: this may seem like a silly question, but why dont you simply use the VU+ tv addon?

then you can change channels etc using the addon, set schedules etc

Dear Dam0

Thanks for your comment, I already used the VU+ addon. But I'm trying to learn more about streaming without an addon.

Thank you.
(2014-02-06, 23:23)alisaher2000 Wrote:
(2014-02-06, 23:16)wsnipex Wrote: do you have a license for mpeg2 on your pi? If not, try h264 instead.

No I don't have but I will try h264. Thanks

Yes it works with h264 and mp3.

Thanks
Thanks for the great post and replies. Being a newbie, I would appreciate it if a couple details could be cleared up for me to get this running.

First, i have the latest version 13 of raspmc. In step 3 listed,
"3. Port : 8008 ( this is my NAT forward port). then Next"
my version asks for port and path. Not sure what to put for Path.

Next, for the step
"I put this file in the video playlist file inside the Raspberry PI. "
I am not sure how to do this. I created the file on my PC, but using SMB on Pi doesn't seem to be able to find the file? Must be missing something.

TIA

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VLC to XBMC raspberry PI0