Incorrect error message from new server
I just installed the brand new server (released today) and encountered an error message telling me that my Recorded TV folder needs to be shared publicly, at least read only, in order to work.

This error message is wrong.

I do not have my Recorded TV Folder shared publicly. I have it shared with a single user and I entered that user's credentials in the ServerWMC client, and everything works just fine.

I've clicked the box telling the system not to warn me again, but I just wanted to alert you guys to the fact that this error message is incorrect. The system works just fine without having the publicly share the Recorded TV Folder.
Thanks for letting us know. Can you confirm if you are using a remote client or whether your client is on the same server as ServerWMC?
pvr.wmc TV addon and ServerWMC Backend Development Team
http://bit.ly/ServerWMC
Yes, I am using a remote client.

To be specific:

I run Windows 7 on a VMWare ESXi machine which runs on an Acer Desktop with IP address 10.1.1.80. This is a server type machine. I never use it to do anything other than record TV using Windows Media Center and then serve it using ServerWMC. I created a special user on this machine called "XBMC" and gave it read/write access to the Recorded TV Folder. I entered the XBMC username and password in the ServerWMC field provided for that purpose.

I run XBMC via OpenELEC on an Intel Next Unit of Computing with IP address 10.1.1.179. This machine is hooked up to my big TV and I use it to watch TV.
Cool thanks for clarifying. Krusty made these changes in response to alot of people that were having sharing type issues when transitioning from local clients to remote clients. Im not sure why he thought "everyone" access is required when really only "suitable/appropriate access" is required for the security context in which the remote client is accessing things. The username and password provided is only used for SMB connections from non windows clients, if you have a windows remote client it just uses the provided UNC path without using those credentials, so perhaps that is why krusty is advising people to use "everyone". I guess at least for now, those of you who are power users and know better, can stop the warning from bothering you and have a working setup... but it may help the significant number of people that are posting here for help due to not having their share configured correctly. Krusty may chime in further Smile I havent run the new server code myself yet so it could also be that some more tweaking/testing is required, or the warning message could be refined
pvr.wmc TV addon and ServerWMC Backend Development Team
http://bit.ly/ServerWMC
I'm working on a complete write-up on how to configure XBMC and Server WMC, but on this point, I've written the following:

Server Configuration

1. Install Windows 7 Home Premium on a computer.
2. Configure Windows to use a static IP address and make a note of that IP address for later.
3. Configure Windows Media Center (install TV Tuner, add TV Tuner drivers, run Windows Media Center configuration).
4. If you add other Recorded TV Folders to Windows Media Center using a Network share, set them up using the IP address and NOT the Windows Share Name. If you use the network share name, you will probably run into problems down the road where XBMC is unable to resolve the share name and you won’t be able to play videos.
5. Create a user on the Windows PC with a password.
6. Share the Recorded TV Folder with that user
7. Run netplwiz from the command line in the Windows machine. Choose the admin account, uncheck “Users must enter a user name and password.” Click OK, enter password. Click OK.
8. Install ServerWMC.
9. Configure Server WMC as follows:

General/Start when Windows Starts: Checked
General/Minimize to System Tray: Unchecked
General/Close box minimizes to system tray: Unchecked

Folders: Enter the network path: Change computer name to IP address
Folders: Use username/password you created in step 4

Click Save

FYI- When I'm done, I'll post a complete guide that includes everything about my setup...
Pretty much what scarecrow said. I put the warning dialog in there so that new users are hit with the idea that the recTV needs to be shared from the start, since that probably makes up 60% of problems new users face when they bring up remote clients. I think most people enable everybody or homegroup, and that was simple to test for. That's also what I want to encourage people to use since it is the easiest setup wise. I figured more tech-savy people would realize they could do it differently, or read how to do alternate setups later, so I made the warning 'killable'. After killing it once, future revs won't re-enable it - although changing the location of the RecTV folder will.

We could certainly refine it going forward, but I think it was an important change to make now.

advocate99, looking forward to the write up!
Windows Media Center PVR addon (pvr.wmc) and server backend (ServerWMC)
http://bit.ly/serverwmc
(2014-02-07, 08:22)advocate99 Wrote: FYI- When I'm done, I'll post a complete guide that includes everything about my setup...

I'll keep an eye an get it added to the wiki when you are done (if you wish). I hadn't gone into the Windows configuration in the wiki as I never really felt it was relevant. It's for SWMC not Windows. With the influx of issues over this one seemingly simple concept, I have changed my mind and think this is a great idea. I have also all but put this section in flashing neon lights on the wiki to try to alleviate the issue. Hopefully the warning that kr has added, the warning in the wiki and the inclusion of the guide will help!
The XBMC team, plug-in devs, skinners, etc. do this for us for FREE in their spare time because they want to. Think about that for a second before you start bitching...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Incorrect error message from new server0