TV and PC XBMC remote control for under $70
Didn't come across a guide like this for this particular set up / equipment. So I thought I'd have a go at preserving my experience. No guarantees this will work for you, but did for me!

The goal here was to create a simple remote for my wife that included :
- Ability to control TV IR (for volume, tv on/off)
- Easy, TV remote like controls for XBMC
- A Keyboard
- A mouse

Keep in mind, this is a Win8 PC build, so your mileage may very.

Here's what you'll need :
- 1 Rii mini i13 4 in 1 Wireless Multmedia Air Fly Mouse Keyboard
Currently $47 on Amazon

- Ortek Windows 7 Vista XP Media Center MCE PC Remote Control and Infrared Receiver for Home, Premium and Ultimate Edition
Currently $19 on Amazon

Total Cost = $66

Why both?
You'll need both to utilize both sides of the Rii i13. The “remote” side of the Rii i13 only supports IR, which renders it useless for dealing with XBMC. Adding the Ortek remote allows you to use the keys on the IR side to control XBMC.
Why not a cheaper MCE remote?
I've used a cheaper model and the USB dongle wasn't recognized. True I could have maybe fudged with the drivers and gotten it going, but I want this guide to be plug and play.

Procedure :
1. Hook Rii i13 up to PC via USB dongle. Test out moving the mouse and using keyboard. Automatically installed without issue in Win 8
2. Connect Ortek USB IR receiver to PC. (note : I am currently using USB over Cat5 for this, works fine). Load up XBMC and verify that you can control using the play button, directional keys, etc. Automatically installed without issue in Win 8.
3. Program Remote
a. On the Rii, Hold “TV” or “VCR” or whatever mode you want to program the remote for. The blue light on the front of the i13 will light blue and after held for a sufficient length of time, will get slightly brighter.
b. Press the button on the i13 you'd like to program, LED flashes.
c. Point the remote you're programing at the i13 head to head. Press the button you'd like to program on the original remote.
d. I13 will blink to confirm learning code.
e. Continue learning buttons in the same fashion until all necessary commands are learned.
f. Wait for Rii to time out before using.

I'd programmed the Power button and the volume/mute buttons to replace my TV remotes buttons.
And I determined which buttons on the Ortek to map to the i13 D pad / media controls / etc.

All in All, was an incredibly easy set up (about 15 minutes) and now I have 1 remote to control the TV, XBMC with a full function keyboard and mouse.

Cool!

Let me know if you have any tips or tricks for a setup like this!.
Hello, I'm looking to buy this Rii remote for its learning function (I have so many remote controls I want to get rid of) After using it for all this months would you recommend it? Have you had any kind of issues with it?, my concern are the not so great reviews at amazon.com

TIA
My XBMC/Kodi folder: addons, skins, addon/menu backgrounds & more
Veronica :

I've been quite happy with the Rii and I'm considering getting a second for the theater. The best part is I won't have to program anything, just duplicate the buttons on the first.

Rii Pros :
IR has great battery life - a month or so of daily use
Range is great - used comfortably at 40 ft.
Rechargeable battery

Rii Cons :
Battery life for keyboard/mouse (must be turned on) is terrible - maybe 3-4 days before recharge if you accidentally leave it on
Mouse is activated instantly when keyboard is switched on, meaning it must be turned off if you don't plan to use it. had to disable mouse in XBMC.
No Stop Button (probably other VCR buttons are missing, look at the picture)

If you're looking for a keyboard/mouse, I'd skip the rii. I still have my wireless Logitech keyboard as the primary input device when not using XBMC.

If you're looking for an XBMC remote, with an emergency/classy-to-use-when-company-is-over keyboard on the back, it's a good little device.

Hope that answers your questions.
I just recently got this remote as well. Haven't programmed the arrows for xbmc yet though as I don't have the McEnroe remote. Do all the generic McDonald remotes work for programming? Or should I find one similar to yours?

EDIT* Haha damn autocorrect on my phone! Those were supposed to be MCE.
Paxonator :

Not sure about McEnroe or McDonald, but the if the IR remote you have works to control XBMC, you *can copy those commands to the Rii.

The front side of the Rii doesn't have any method for communicating with your XBMC box, which is why you need an IR receiver.

The easiest/cheapest way to get an IR receiver, is to buy a cheap compatible PC remote.

The added benefit of this method is now you can use the remote that already works with XBMC and copy those commands to the Rii.

Hope that answers your question.

(*Not an expert)
(2014-06-05, 14:56)lostramblin Wrote: Paxonator :

Not sure about McEnroe or McDonald, but the if the IR remote you have works to control XBMC, you *can copy those commands to the Rii.

The front side of the Rii doesn't have any method for communicating with your XBMC box, which is why you need an IR receiver.

The easiest/cheapest way to get an IR receiver, is to buy a cheap compatible PC remote.

The added benefit of this method is now you can use the remote that already works with XBMC and copy those commands to the Rii.

Hope that answers your question.

(*Not an expert)

Thanks and ya those were a type outs haha. Well I guess I'll go searching for a cheap mce remote that will work. Thanks again.
(2014-06-05, 14:56)lostramblin Wrote: The front side of the Rii doesn't have any method for communicating with your XBMC box, which is why you need an IR receiver.

Have you tried using EventGhost - maybe it will recognize the input from the Rii without an IR receiver?
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
Hello, Is there a better option to he Rii i13 (for the learning function) now or not? something with a beetter battery life for the keyboard/mouse part

[/align]
My XBMC/Kodi folder: addons, skins, addon/menu backgrounds & more
Hello mates,

Same question like above - five years later is there any better or any similar solution to Rii i13 which can control multi devices at the same time and has the functions like fly air mouse with gyro, qwerty keyboard?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
TV and PC XBMC remote control for under $701