Intermittent success only when WMC is running
Sorry for the delay guys but duty called being Vday and all.

Well I tried build 1126 especially since the release notes commented on channel bleed. Unfortunately it still doesn't work and the symptoms have changed. Now when I start to watch a channel there's no visible image even though the status tab in ServerWMC indicates it's streaming. After about 10 seconds or so it just stops.

I've uploaded the log and video files to Gdrive as heatpipe_tid185822_post16.zip. Hopefully you can glean something from them. I haven't had any luck getting a channel to work at all with this new version, but I'll keep trying in order to get a log of the success case.

@Scarecrow - Answers to your questions: (1) I don't have the pre-start tuners option enabled. I've also rebooted numerous times since first installing ServerWMC. (2) The failures occur from the very first channel.
Wow so the wife started watching TV using a DLNA player. And all of a sudden it starts working! In my previous testing, I always made sure no one was using any of the tuners. Maybe my trick by watching tv via WMC was simply occupying a tuner. And maybe when no tuners are active somehow this introduces "noise" when the very first tuner is enabled? I'll keep playing around. Again, I'm at your disposal if you'd like to see any testing.

Thanks
heatpipe,

Thanks for the upload. However the fix we put in 1126 works fine for this video, I get the same log as you when I run it but the video/audio start and play to the end.

In your last post is that using version 1126?
Windows Media Center PVR addon (pvr.wmc) and server backend (ServerWMC)
http://bit.ly/serverwmc
krusty,

I know it's strange since I can playback the video files! It's so close but I can't explain why the client is closing the stream:

Code:
2014/02/15 15:29:39.452    OpenLiveStream> stream path returned to client: \\192.168.1.50\Recorded TV\TempSWMC\LiveTV_Oberon_Digital Cable_707_2014_02_15_15_29_36.ts
2014/02/15 15:29:39.452    OpenLiveStream> -----------------done-------------------------
2014/02/15 15:29:39.456    Finished request OpenLiveStream in 2.92s
2014/02/15 15:29:40.221    Received client request: Oberon|CloseLiveStream
2014/02/15 15:29:40.222    CloseStream> -----------------start------------------------

Is there a way to enable tracing in the pvr add-on on the XBMC client?
I didn't realize the client was closing the stream. Since no errors are being reported, my guess is that your tuner is stopping on its own, see:

WtvToPesDemuxer:Tonguearse> Guid header detects stream end

When we stop getting wtv data it cause the the remux to quit, which makes the client xbmc call closelivestream

You can turn on enable debug logging in xbmc settings.
krusty,

I've enabled debugging and uploaded the xbmc.log to pastebin. For both the audio and video I see events such as:

"Get - asked for new data packet, with nothing available"

..followed by the exit of the audio and video threads.

So forgive me if the following comments are just ignorant as I don't know anything about your code, but is it possible the client is ending processing which in turn results in the server releasing the tuner? Is the client deciding to exit too early? Is it possible the CDVDMessageQueue(audio/video) if empty, may not be empty a few seconds later?

Again apologies if those comments are rediculous. You and scarecrow have been nothing short of amazingly supportive. If there's some charity that could use your blessing, please let me know.

Thanks again.
Hi Heatpipe,

Question:
Your xbmc setup is all default right? Did you set an unusual video settings?

We are still thinking about this, your setup is certainly a challenge! We will hopefully have something for you to try soon.
krusty,

Completely default 12.3 installation except for disabled RSS feeds and your PVR add-on. My HDHomerun Prime (HDHR3-CC) is running the 20140121 firmware. My WMC clients which communicate directly to the same tuner for live tv and recording are all working beautifully. I wonder if other HDHomerun users are facing this same problem?
Have you assigned your network tuners to multiple wmc clients?
It doesnt work that way. You dont assign tuners to a particular client. In my case I can see the tuner status and see that only my test system is locking the tuners.

Does scarecrow have any thoughts about my comment about the message queue?
I just PM'd you with an experimental build I'd like you to run when you can.

I don't know whether scarecrow has looked at it or not.
Hey guys, sorry i was also a bit awol over valentines day and the weekend Smile

So to get back into this, I agree that the stream bleeding looks to be handled by the latest build, but you are now getting a different problem.

Incidentally Id still like it if you could do the tests I previously outlined, to determine whether the invalid streams are present in recorded WTV files or only in live viewing.

In relation to the "new problem" looking at the ServerWMC log you uploaded:

- truncated streams are present, but build 1126 seems to handle these OK, drops them during the remux

- 10 seconds after the OpenLiveStream completes, the CloseLiveStream is called.

Therefore I concur that the client is closing the stream rather than the stream failing. Looking into what circumstances the CloseLiveStream() call is called from the PVR interface, is such things as us being unable to get the current filesize from the backend, or that filesize not growing for a period of time, or there being no data in the stream, and things like this.

I had a look at the XBMC log you uploaded but to me it seems like it's not actually in DEBUG format as there is not really any messages there id expect to see (eg from our pvr.wmc addon directly). Infact the level on all of the log messages is NOTICE and WARNING, there are no DEBUG lines in there, so I dont think it's actually a DEBUG log. Can you have another go at getting an XBMC DEBUG log because when we see exactly which messages our addon logs, we will be able to focus in on which specific situation is causing the timeout/failures which leads to XBMC calling CloseLiveStream.

Also can you give a rundown on your setup - If you could specify what your server and client machines are (i think you are virtualised so details on the host machine/OS etc as well), what storage is used, what the network connection between server and client is, that would be good. Have you tried from any clients other than "Oberon" ? Can you try a local client just to see if video plays (if its a VM this may not be possible).
pvr.wmc TV addon and ServerWMC Backend Development Team
http://bit.ly/ServerWMC
@Krusty - thanks for the experimental build. At the very least it confirmed the problem was in the client since even when the client stopped, I could see that the wtv and ts files were growing with valid video and audio.

Thank you guys so much for all of your help. But I think I can put this nightmare to rest. I'm convinced now there's something wrong with the audio hardware on my test system. When I saw a bunch of audio-related errors in the xbmc.log I thought to change the default audio device, and then it started working. I even went through the trouble of re-installing the OS and was able to reproduce the problem.

Thanks for everything guys.
default audio device in windows or XBMC? What was the old and new value. This is a most unsatisfying conclusion lol Smile I guess we did find the invalid streams and coded a fix for those... But I still need you to try and determine whether recordings have invalid streams in them too, or only live streams
pvr.wmc TV addon and ServerWMC Backend Development Team
http://bit.ly/ServerWMC
scarecrow, just fyi: the experimental build just ignored 'closelivestream' from the xbmc client. Somehow I got it into my head the stream was being close on the server, I think I must have looked at the wrong log.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intermittent success only when WMC is running0