Futureproof Fanless (€ 541) & Cheap NUC (€227)
(2014-02-11, 13:09)Kib Wrote: Definitely thanks for looking up those boards!

I am pretty confident with the Zotac board now - knowing that it fits well is a big plus because the Streacom FC8 EVO is quite picky.
Many mini-itx boards have the processor in a spot where you can't reach it with the cooler block.

It should be a great build, interested to see the temps on this!
No such thing as future proof! i.e. HEVC decoding, HDMI 2.0 etc etc.

I've built a Streacom before, unless you plan on using a blu ray drive I would just get a NUC instead. Much less hassle and the fan can ramp up from silent (20%) to higher if you need it to. Unless you need a AMD GPU that is.
(2014-02-11, 12:45)Kib Wrote: I have decided to switch to the Zotac board, and have updated the first post to reflect that.

I thought the MSI H87I would fit fine because Streacom has the MSI Z87I (which has the exact same layout) on their list of FC8 EVO compatible boards in the Streacom build guide.

Then I saw this pictures where someone installed the Z87I in the Streacom FC8 EVO and had to bend one pipe to avoid hitting the PicoPSU, which is just stupid.

On a side note - it is always a good idea to get the same hardware as one of the core developers Wink thanks for the picture, FernetMenta.

That's the problem I had. Did a lovely bend over it. That's rough in the pic!!
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

mini (fanless)
NUC (fanless opt.)

Good luck with your builds,
omnium
The first pc looks amazing. Now if there only wasn't the price Wink
Please note that that first build could be much cheaper but has been customised (read: beefed up) for my personal needs.
There could be a much cheaper processor (as FernetMenta mentioned already), less memory, and a smaller SSD (or even an USB stick) and you would still be able to run XBMC nicely from it.
I built a Streacom fanless system, bloody hell it was hard work with those heatpipes! But it's a thing of beauty and silence is golden. My motherboard had a USB3 header for the front USB ports and a USB2 header which I used to internalise a Flirc receiver for my remote running Openelec and it works really well, my motherboard doesn't seem to wake from sleep after a night off so I'm just waiting for a Simerec PCS-2 to arrive to take care of IR power duties which I'm hoping I can fit alongside or on top of the Flirc.
Yesterday on IRC I found someone with a Baytrail NUC and he was able to do some tests for me.

Good things first:
- It can decode full hd very well with little CPU ressources. The GPU is doing its job great
- The GPU is fast enough to upscale SD content to 1080p via Lanczos 3 Optimized
- The CPU is fast enough to use the VAAPI SW Filter to copy back the surfaces into System Memory.
- The CPU is fast enough to deinterlace SD Content with "Yadif" and upscale it to 1080p

Bad things:
- The CPU is too slow to deinterlace 1080i content with Yadif, it is fast enough though to do BOBBING

So for now: If you are primary use case is 1080i LiveTV avoid that box. If you just want to watch normal blurays (not(!) VC-1 interlaced ones) that box will be great for you. If you have thick glasses and BOBBING does not hurt your eyes also 1080i live tv is fine.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I had a feeling this was were it was going to end up.

As I am unable to get live TV going in my house, I am going to be OK. Thanks for the response, @fritsch
We still need to test HD-Audio - but he did not have the equipment I think.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2014-02-13, 12:01)fritsch Wrote: We still need to test HD-Audio - but he did not have the equipment I think.

You know I have the equipment to test - lets just wait until my order comes in Wink
@Kib
Can you tell me what other tasks (and OS maybe) your planning to run on your "Futureproof Fanless" system?

I'm also looking for a new system so I picked your hardware choice (mainly the board) as a baseline.
Since LiveTV is important for me I dropped the NUC as an option because of what @fritsch said.
(2014-02-13, 15:13)Kib Wrote: You know I have the equipment to test - lets just wait until my order comes in Wink

repoooooort ! ;D
cu
Due to some circumstances I haven't been able to get the NUC yet but I'll be ordering it tomorrow.
(2014-02-13, 09:21)fritsch Wrote: Yesterday on IRC I found someone with a Baytrail NUC and he was able to do some tests for me.

Good things first:
- It can decode full hd very well with little CPU ressources. The GPU is doing its job great
- The GPU is fast enough to upscale SD content to 1080p via Lanczos 3 Optimized
- The CPU is fast enough to use the VAAPI SW Filter to copy back the surfaces into System Memory.
- The CPU is fast enough to deinterlace SD Content with "Yadif" and upscale it to 1080p

Bad things:
- The CPU is too slow to deinterlace 1080i content with Yadif, it is fast enough though to do BOBBING

So for now: If you are primary use case is 1080i LiveTV avoid that box. If you just want to watch normal blurays (not(!) VC-1 interlaced ones) that box will be great for you. If you have thick glasses and BOBBING does not hurt your eyes also 1080i live tv is fine.

Very useful to know. The de-interlacing performance is a little disappointing. Makes the Celeron 2955U stuff look even more interesting. The Asus Chromebox could be a great little solution.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Futureproof Fanless (€ 541) & Cheap NUC (€227)2