Bug External Subtitles not working when buffermode=1
Hi everyone,

I'm running the latest Gotham Nightly on XBMCBuntu on my Intel NUC i3 (DC3217BY). I enabled the buffermode=1 option in advancedsettings.xml (also enlarged the cache to 1GB using the cachemembuffersize option and set readbufferfactor to 2.0) so even media from my NFS share would be cached (because my Wi-Fi doesn't always work that well in the home).

However, with these options, XBMC is unable to display external subtitles with a video. The subtitles are stored on my NFS share, in the same folder as the videos and have the filename "<episodefilename>.nl.srt". XBMC does recognize the subtitles and their language (in this case "Dutch") but doesn't automatically enable them (although prefer external subtitles option is enabled and Dutch is set as the preferred subtitle language). When I enable the subtitles manually through the OSD audio setting, the subtitles also won't show.

Downloading subtitles through opensubtitles f.e. also doesn't work. XBMC reports the subtitles are downloaded, but won't show them.

Subtitles that are embedded in the video (internal subtitles) do perfectly work. When I change the buffermode to 0 (the default option), subtitles do show up and everything works normally (but because my wifi isn't as strong in the living room, I sometimes get buffering issues, that's why I would like to have buffermode = 1).

Pastebin URL with debug log: http://pastebin.com/FcyyvXUA (playing an episode of How I Met Your Mother, trying to enable external subtitles and downloading them through opensubtitles.org).

EDIT: Have been skimming through the debug log myself, found these lines of code (but now I have reached the boundary of my code knowledge :p):

Code:
826.21:21:41 T:2543647552  NOTICE: Opening Subtitle stream: 0 source: 1024

827.21:21:41 T:2543647552   DEBUG: CFileCache::Open - opening <home/fileserver/Media/TVShows/How I Met Your Mother/Season 6/s6e5.nl.srt> using cache

828.21:21:41 T:2543647552   ERROR: Open - Unhandled exception

829.21:21:41 T:2543647552   ERROR: Open - Error opening nfs://10.124.161.101/home/fileserver/Media/TVShows/How I Met Your Mother/Season 6/s6e5.nl.srt

830.21:21:41 T:2543647552   ERROR: OpenStream - Unable to create subtitle parser

831.21:21:41 T:2543647552 WARNING: OpenSubtitleStream - Unsupported stream 0. Stream disabled.
Bump, nobody else experiencing or able to recreate this issue?
I wasn't able to recreate the issue using an SMB share. I'll try setting up an NFS share.
Happens to me too on both XBMC 13.2 and Kodi 14 RC3.
Setting the buffermode back to 0 fixes the issue.
To reproduce:
- Open a movie located on another PC in your Windows network (SMB). The movie must have no built in subtitles, but can have srt files in the folder, which can be viewed when loaded via XBMC locally.
You will not be able to see the srt subtitles.
- Try to download subtitles using the built in downloader.
Result: they won't load either.
I've found that sometimes I have to select which subtitle I want, stop the movie, then resume it and the subs will appear (this has been happening since 13.2, with buffermode=1).
@isamudaison
Tried your suggestion now, but it didn't help.
I'm running Kodi 16.0 on Windows 7 with buffermode=1 and am also having this problem. Strangely, it started for me sometime between upgrading from 15.2 to one of the 16.0 beta builds (although I'm not sure which one). I know this post is old but has anyone found a fix other than switching the buffermode setting?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
External Subtitles not working when buffermode=10