Problems playing DVD over network
I am planning the evolution to my XBMC home setup and one of the nice to have features would be to be able to play the odd dvd in one of my rooms without having a player in there. I will probably be using a lightweight solution (OUYA?) for most rooms and would like to share the dvd drive on my main machine with them.

I am testing this functionality now and having problems. I am using a CSS encrypted dvd, in a windows 8 machine and trying to play it in Frodo on a ubuntu machine. The share works correctly and I can see the files. I tried enabling stacking which I had read somewhere, but it still doesn't work. Not sure if this is a CSS issue or something else. XBMC displays the "working" notification and the dvd drive spins up and accesses data, then it stops.

I plan to try it in reverse (i have read that dvdread should work in linux) but I will probably use a windows machine for my main XBMC so I am focusing on the windows being the dvd host first.

Any advice? Is there anything like dvdread for windows to remove CSS on the fly? Is this even possible for CSS encrypted disks?

If not, I will just set up the main machine to auto-rip any disk inserted and call it a day. Smile
Well nevermind. I tried it again to generate a log and it worked. I had installed decss yesterday on the ubuntu machine but maybe I hadn't rebooted.

So, sharing dvd from windows 8, decss installed on linux, stacking enabled, and pressing play on the dvd share point does indeed work. I could navigate the menus and everything.

Now to test using the linux machine as the source...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problems playing DVD over network0