I've taken over as maintainer from ronie, and hope to add a few more improvements in the near future, such as allowing skins to show more upcoming guide info and also improving the translation support.
Here are some improvements that you may notice:
- The TV Guide GUI now uses actual future episodes for its 7-day view (not the "normally appears on these days" info), so each day that has a show visible has real data behind it.
- A show with multiple shows per week will display each show's unique info (title, episode num, etc.) rather than only showing the one next episode's info. (This does not include broadcast time, which is a per-show item in the available data, not per episode.)
- A show can appear multiple times per day if there are going to be multiple shows that day.
- Updating should be much faster (for me, it typically takes about 5 seconds to do an update after an 8 hour wait).
- Since updating is more efficient, it occurs more frequently -- every 8 hours by default (see the settings to change this). The update times are relative to when xbmc starts, which should help to distribute the updating over a wider range of times (the old code used to update most people at their local midnight hour).
- A failure to grab updates does not cause shows to vanish from the list (which seemed to happen to me a lot before).
- The way that dates get displayed for the future episodes can be a little more friendly now, with the day-of-the-week included and the current year omitted. This is particularly nice for a skin that shows next-show info as you visit a show's folder. Some examples (these in the US English form): "Sat, Feb 1" or "Tue, Dec 31, 2013". To see dates like this you need to enable it in the settings.
- The GUI will now notice if the background updater is working, and just wait for the current update to finish (if it was time for a GUI-proc initiated update).
- Changing the update values in the settings now affects the running background-updating process w/o needing to restart xbmc.
- Switching users no longer results in a proliferation of extra background update processes (which would all do redundant update work at the same time in the old code).
- If the addon updates, the old background updater stops (to allow newer code to update the DB).
- The Classification field is currently always empty (there is no such info available from TheTVDB data).
- The Status field is more limited than before, though I take the 2 values (plus 1 empty value) that TheTVDB provides and try to intuit a few more based on the show's data. See the README.txt for the shorter list.
The end result is now in the addons, so anyone with this installed should have it by now. I'm also continuing to make my latest work available via zip file, so if you want to try any new features I mention later in this thread, snag the beta zip file and unzip it into the XBMC/addons dir over the current code.
After installation, you should exit XBMC and start it up again so that the background updating process gets going on the new code (assuming that your skin starts it up).
If you're interested in helping out with the coding/fixing, feel free to check out the code's git repo.
This thread started out as a WIP discussion of the 6.0.0 version, as seen in the first comments below. Enjoy!