XBMC feature-freeze and bug-bash!
Firefoxer Wrote:I'm new to this XBMC project, and I really want to install it on my extra xbox. My only question is that, should I wait for 2.0.0, or will it not matter because it will be easy to upgrade from 1.1 to 2.0.0 (and because it will be many months before the next release)?
Don't wait, try the latest CVS now, (if you don't have the XDK/VS.NET tools to compile the XBMC source code yourself then then try to find a precompiled "T3CH" build that is no older than a couple of weeks old) then upgrade when 2.0.0 comes out
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Lol fixed it. Key Words are a bit tricky. It couldn't find threads with "2.0.0" in them, but it found ones with "yeah" in them. Oh well.

Thanks Gamester17, I'll give it a try.
Hi. Just wondering if you guys could give a rough estimate on when you hope to get XBMC 2 out. In no way am I pushing or nagging by asking this.

It would be awsome if it could be atleast by the end of the year.
Yup... nobody with more than 10 posts would ask a question like that.
Thumbs Down 
HarshReality Wrote:Yup... nobody with more than 10 posts would ask a question like that.

Well I will, and I don't care how many posts I have. I don't see where a matter of the amount of posts should change my answer.

The main reason I'd like to know this is so I know roughly when to release the next ISO release of Auto-Installer Deluxe (which I'm deliberately holding off until XBMC 2.0 is out). I'm sorry if this doesn't mean anything to you, but it does to a lot of my users.

Regards,
DJB
Site admin of the HQ Network
Creator of Auto-Installer Deluxe / Softmod Installer Deluxe
The reason I said that is anybody with anykind of background in XBMCs forums would know you NEVER ask them that. It'll be done when its done and that will be when they feel its done and not a minute before.

No offense but I dont see the needs of a single person "holding off a release" that they are just going to throw up and not support without adding a pricetag (Yes I refer to your charging for services and support). They do this for the most part because they enjoy the work and the challenge not because they are trying to make a buck.

Perhaps offensive, Ive tried your AID and to be quite honest, your releases should be more current based on your own improvement and not dependant of software around you, **I edited and decided to stop before I went into one of my rambles**.
HarshReality Wrote:The reason I said that is anybody with anykind of background in XBMCs forums would know you NEVER ask them that. It'll be done when its done and that will be when they feel its done and not a minute before.

No offense but I dont see the needs of a single person "holding off a release" that they are just going to throw up and not support without adding a pricetag (Yes I refer to your charging for services and support). They do this for the most part because they enjoy the work and the challenge not because they are trying to make a buck.

Perhaps offensive, Ive tried your AID and to be quite honest, your releases should be more current based on your own improvement and not dependant of software around you, **I edited and decided to stop before I went into one of my rambles**.

Well thanks for the compliments, you obviously really have it in for me, even though you're trying to hide it.

It's no so much "holding off" any updates what so ever, but when I do release a new ISO (instead of an update pack) it would be good if v2 of XBMC was on there. I'll continue to release an update pack every 2 months until the time comes that it's released.

I don't see how I'm not supposed to take offense to that. "Charging" for services? You obviously have only looked at the surface of the site and not bothered to look any further, otherwise you'd know what it is about. Unlike some other sites I could mention, we are NOT rich and dont have thousands of dollars in our pockets. The VIP donations is what basically keeps the site alive with hosting costs etc. but I'm not gonna more into this because I don't see it needed here.

Lastly, I do what I want with AID, and if I want to release an update pack every 2 months with the latest software, who's gonna stop me? Lots of people (yes including myself) find it quite useful that the installer is always kept up-to-date with newer apps (and if you bothered to look closer you'll notice that the installer script has been tweaked with every release one way or another).

I do see your point that new versions should be based on improvments, but the update releases are for v3.0, therefore it's not a new version as such. v3.1 (which will "hopefully" have XBMC 2 if I can hold out that long) will have some serious re-construction where some of the older and useless apps + emulators will be removed, and the menu system will be made a bit clearer.

Just my two cents...
I'm a bit hesitant to post this, and I hope it will be taken constructively.

I'm trying to figure out what the definition of 'feature freeze' is?

Since the 6-25 t3ch build a number of interesting enhancements have been made - the uPNP stuff, the profile stuff, the renderer stuff, coreavc, dvr-ms, python libraries, I could go on...

I've also noted a significant increase in 'problems' with releases since 6-25; in fact, when I've tried these newer releases, for one reason or another I end up going back to the 6-25 build.

The devo's had made tremendous progress since this 'feature freeze and bug-bash' started; as a user I'm making the observation that the 6-25 build is very stable (with a few exceptions) and has a feature set consistent with what we had back in March when it started.

So in the context of the 'feature freeze', the 6-25 build, with the addition of a few critical fixes (like the xlink kai crash fix, some smb fixes, the updates for the imdb changes) seems nearly "perfect" - as in perhaps it could form the base of a new 'stable release'...

Whether that would be "2.0" or "1.9" or whatever, it just seems like that build would be a good place to put a stake into the ground, applying only necessary bug-fixes and create a 'release candidate' build.

The other "neat stuff" that's been done lately would be part of a future 'stable release' (which I would look forward to, once all the 'new' things were shook out).

Anyway, I hope this post will be taken in a positive light. I know the fun and excitement of adding new, neat, things, but having been a software project manager in the past, I also know that you need to find that right point where you say to the team "this build is the basis for the next release" and only do necessary bug fixes to that build for the final release. IMO the 6-25 build is it.
what exactly are you talking about in the way of "problems"?
plugh Wrote:I've also noted a significant increase in 'problems' with releases since 6-25; in fact, when I've tried these newer releases, for one reason or another I end up going back to the 6-25 build.

Do report them (properly) if you want them fixed, otherwise chances are high they will be in 2.0 FINAL

I mean it!
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

They have been getting fixed; it's just that build Y that fixes a feature introduced in build X introduces new problem Z because of some other new doodad introduced in that build.

And I guess the real point of my post was missed. What does 'feature freeze' mean when new features and significant reworks are being introduced (which triggers more bug bashing to fix the problems introduced by the changes)?

I am NOT saying enhancements should be curtailed; I AM suggesting that the 'feature freeze' that occurred last March with the goal of producing a stable release with THAT feature set imo pretty much attained that goal with the 6-25 build. That the 6-25 build, with the addition of a few critical fixes might form the basis of a stable release candidate.

The addition of the uPNP stuff is awesome; the profile rework is neat; the renderer changes are cool; the new codec stuff is great; but they weren't part of the feature set when the 'feature freeze' occurred. In the heat and excitement of adding all this cool stuff I hope the goal of the 'feature freeze and bug bash' hasn't gotten lost. I hope my post will trigger some discussion among the team as to whether, perhaps, there is validity to my suggestion. To take a step back, review the decision that was made last March and ask themselves 'did we actually get there'?

I'm going to back out of this discussion now; I said my piece. As an outsider I look at a lot of the post 6-25 changes and can't reconcile them with the stated intent of the "feature freeze and bug bash". Huh I'm not asking "when will it be ready" - I'm saying "congratulations, you're there" (in case you didn't notice it) Big Grin
What I find amazing, is more people in here complaing about the feature freeze than respond in this thread http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=20166 that asks for your help.

Sounds like your arguing symantics. If you have a stable build, just call it 2.0 and you'll be happy.
Then you're not helping AT ALL. You only piss me of basically.

If you say there are issues, but won't specify them, that's WHINING.

One can debate whether or not we SHOULD have frozen earlier, but it won't change the current situation. We have current CVS to work with and make 2.0 worthy. I can assure you it's getting close to a 2.0.0 release.
And if you refuse to specify which issues you found "after '6-25' build", you will just have to live with them. I don't want to hear any whining about them, unless you report them.

I am astonished at the reactions. Neither of my two posts 'complained' or 'whined' about ANYTHING. And as far as 'helping', well, one recent example was my work with Elupus to track down a problem with the new smbclient port. (That fix appeared in the 6-25 build, BTW)

The point of my post wasn't about 'issues' - I've already stated that problems I've encountered post 6-25 (for example the subtitle sticking thing introduced in the 7-25 build was fixed in the next build) are being / have been addressed.

Pike, I'm not trying to debate or be critical of any 'should have dones'; I assume your cvs system will allow you to create a fork based upon the state of the system when the 6-25 build was done, and that you could use that fork as the basis of a release candidate (adding in any critical fixes from the main thread) - but that is, I will admit, an assumption based solely on my experience with other code management systems. As a user, I wanted to provide feedback that said "hey that 6-25 build, with a few tweaks would be a really good candidate for the stable release announced in this thread". You may disagree (and apparently you do) that it doesn't meet the goals set out in this thread.

It was not my intent to anger anyone; I'm outta here...
One thing you will come to see is that most open-source and free software is always WIP. You need to treat it as such and forget about "releases".

Just use the build(s) you are happy with if you have issues with something.

I upgrade my build almost weekly, depending on the fixes and features added... and rarely have any issues (see any bugs). I use it almost daily to watch videos and listen to music.

Take it for what it is, great free software.

If you have a suggestion on how to make the software better, fantastic but otherwise leave the devs alone to fix and enchance the app they can run the project how they want.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC feature-freeze and bug-bash!1