Media PC for XBMC
I want to replace my ageing HTPC with a new model and wondered if someone can help me spec one.

I have a budget of up to £400 and my requirements are that the case be small, with more than enough capability to be able to cope with 1080P 24hz MKVs and uncompressed Blu-Rays. I also have a 3DTV so would be looking for something that can play 3D content also.

Someone advised me that an Acer Revo should be more than suitable for my needs, is this the case? If so, is there a particular model that I should be purchasing?
If you need room for a BluRay drive, then the box here is one of the best builds I've seen:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=185932

You can reduce the RAM down to 4GB (no need for 8GB).

If you don't need room for a BluRay drive, then: D34010WYK nuc + 4GB 1.35V SODIMM RAM + 60GB mSATA SSD
Im liking the D34010WYK, it has mini-HDMI though, I spent a fair amount on normal HDMI cables so I expect I would need an adaptor?
Right, or get a mini to regular cable just for the connection from the NUC
(2014-02-13, 17:05)marcus2704 Wrote: Im liking the D34010WYK, it has mini-HDMI though, I spent a fair amount on normal HDMI cables so I expect I would need an adaptor?

Youu should never spend much on HDMI cables. Shops sell the expensive ones to you as a rip-off. I wouldn't go above $30 for a 5m cable in a retail shop if I was desperate. Online they are cheaper (half that).

Go on Ebay, and you can get a micro HDMI to HDMI adaptor for $5 delivered to your door.
(2014-02-13, 17:05)marcus2704 Wrote: Im liking the D34010WYK, it has mini-HDMI though, I spent a fair amount on normal HDMI cables so I expect I would need an adaptor?
As the other guy said, most of the cheapo HDMI cables will work as good as the most expensive HDMI cables. I bought this "Afunta™ 6 HDMI Cable Adapters KIT", and it works great. I enjoy using the HDMI angle adapters in a tight spot.......

(2014-02-14, 15:29)joelbaby Wrote: Go on Ebay, and you can get a micro HDMI to HDMI adaptor for $5 delivered to your door.
Just to want to mention that micro HDMI adapter is mostly use for cellphone, and PC mobo and GPU are usually equipped with standard size HDMI and Mini HDMI ports....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Resurrecting this thread as I am about to push the order button, and just want to verify I am all set -

Intel D34010WYK Next Unit of Computing (NUC) Kit Core i3 (4010U) 1.7GHz Gigabit LAN (HD Graphics 4400) with Type G Power Cord

Crucial 4GB Memory Module PC3-10600 1333MHz DDR3 Unbuffered Non-ECC CL9 204-pin SODIMM

Kingston SSDNow SMS200S3/30G (30GB) 2.5 inch mSATA Solid State Drive

Dynamode (1.8m) Micro HDMI to HDMI Cable

I read a few amazon reviews where people state they were unable to run the NUC without disconnecting USB devices (I have a USB MCE Remote), and that the unit was noisy and the cooling fan wont last long. - is this the case and if so should I be looking at something else as I can go with something a bit bigger?

Also, I wanted to get away from having a Windows OS for XBMC and perhaps OpenElec instead, but again Ive read there are issues with the NUC?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Media PC for XBMC0