Library updates for removable source?
Can't seem to find any conclusive answers searching forum and wiki -- So, left to ask...

I currently have 8 external USB drives connected to my media center. I'm finally upgrading to a larger NAS setup, and will be re-organizing my shows and movies a bit.

The NAS I am looking at has a USM (Universal Storage Module) dock built in that I can easily bring swap out atleast 1T of space in a couple seconds.

I plan on using this for shows that are no longer being aired and are already watched. I'd copy them to the USM drive and then have it available when needed.

A few immediate concerns --

the USM drive will have it's own drive letter. And every driveCart that I insert will be recognized as the same drive letter.

If I add the movies to my database,and then remove the drivecart, and put another one in -- the first one's movies would not be found -- and deleted from the library during a cleanup.

I thought about keeping them in a directory structure with the root directory being a label for a drive label -- (example: \MOVIE_DRIVE_1, \MOVIE_DRIVE_2, etc) Atleast the paths wouldn't conflict if they were H:\Movie_drive_1, and H:\Movie_drive_2.

My biggest problem is to figure out how to keep the contents (either movie, or shows, or even music -- Thinking holiday music archived off). from being removed from the library, or attempted to be updated once it's in the library.

Any thoughts?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Library updates for removable source?0