Win Getting perfect sync and speed for 1080p 23.976fps
Thanks for taking the time with this - I appreciate it. Will definitely try it out over the weekend.
Np. Pm me or report back if you have ?s.
I will give it a final shot this weekend, I havent got any time till now. I will test both the official Windows and Linux Gotham betas, and also the openelec ones, Installing to a second flash disk is something I already thought. Thanks for the replies, I will report the results on the weekend.
FYI-- I updated the AMD how-to with my favorite settings:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1638117
good luck.
(2014-02-26, 15:53)gfisher Wrote: This is a small how to which might help:

It is very simple/easy (not like the ubuntu how-to I posted), and only uses a thumb as a hard drive (like dual booting) for everything, OS/user-data.

Just tested. Works for me.. Smile

Requires 2 thumb drives that you can erase (one as installer #1/other as "new PC hard drive" #2):

1) DOWNLOAD: this archive and unzip with 7zip/winrar:

http://snapshots.openelec.tv/OpenELEC-Ge...2768a5.tar

edit: When the link breaks from updates: http://snapshots.openelec.tv/ choose xxxxxGeneric.x86_64xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.tar for AMD grfx 6xxx+ and most others (currently those drivers work).

2) FORMAT: Insert USB drive #1: From my computer/win explorer find the USB drive #1- right click, format, type fat32/fast format. Note the USB drive letter ("E: for example")

3) INSTALL: browse to folder where Openelec unpacked. Right click on file "create_installstick" (the windows batch file) and run as administrator. When prompted enter the drive letter ("E: for example"), make sure you choose the correct letter that = thumb/usb drive #1 and don't erase something else.
wait 20-30 seconds for install.

4) Insert USB thumb drive #2 (formatted Fat32)

5) REBOOT to start installer from USB #1: NOTE- if your BIOS/EUFI is not USB drive BOOT enabled (it just starts windows again from HD). You have to pres del/f2/f12 (read messages) on reboot/power on... >>> to enter "setup" and choose boot option/boot order/boot menu to allow "usb drive/thumb" boot, as a priority, 1st on list, etc. This varies a small bit by bios/PC vendor. (also many usb3.0 ports are not easily bootable, try 2.0 ports).

6) At menu- choose simple install, then choose the USB thumb #2 that you want use as the "new PC harddrive" where the full Openlec will run/live. READ carefully, don't install over PC hard drive (you can unplug power ribbon if you are worried). There are many chances to go back before it erases.

I have this version on one thumb. It is not too buggy (I use it). But AV sync and 24P (23.976) is very good out of the box for me (with the settings I listed). Now the good stuff: You can enable debugging under sys. menu, and save logs. Assuming Openelec works for you, you can look at their settings on boot, then compare that log to a broken windows install to see if any "trick" settings differences improve things on your hardware.

Once you realize how easy it is to test hardware with Openelec/OE. Using bleeding edge, even buggy versions, to see what is coming/fixes your issues, it is no big deal. You will find gems for sure.

EDIT: My best settings for 23.976 playback in OE
Note- Mode must be reset to Expert or Advanced: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1641677

System >>Settings >>System >>Video output
Vertical blank sync: Let Driver choose

System >> Video >>Acceleration:
VDPAU: On
Prefer VDPAU Mixer: ON
VAAPI: off

System >> Video >> Playback:
Adjust Refreshrate to match video: On
Sync Playback to Display: On
Sync Method: Video Clock (Drop/Dupe)

Enable automatic deinterlacing:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1641281

Tv "Display/i/info" on TV remote should display 24P/theatre mode, etc. if working.

Windows settings are similar- but choose DXVA2 and add a fixed audio delay (adjust until it has good sync.) in Advancedsettings.xml from above:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1636912

More AMD reading (a bit OT but it explains how/why Openelec *for free* works so well now on the new bleeding-edge builds.) http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-rad...26145.html

Im glad to say that your sugggestion works. Still displays 0.100% speed, but everything is super smooth. Havent noticed any audio delays. Will test and try to enjoy some movies in the weekend.

Thanks alot for the only truly helpful reply to this thread.
So, some updates after a little bit of testing:

New, recently ripped 1080p .mkv files work good. (H.264 if im not mistaken?)

There is a small audio sync issue on 24p files, will have to try the solutions already suggested.

Older rips and formats (XVID, mpeg4?) sometimes give mostly small black artifacts (but enough for it to be not acceptable) and very old rips give huge green artifacts and distortion.

VDPAU deinterlacing on interlaced content doesnt work. It makes the playback extremely choppy, and the framerate drops. Software based deinterlacing works good.
Glad you got it all installed, and had some successes. Since openelec uses open source drivers you might need to try the software decode for mpeg4 (for better decoding) for your card for xvid, check settings (deselect mpeg4 under acceleration to enable software mpeg4 decoding). Your card might be limited with that driver (green/orange = driver/card issues). Another version of openelec might have what you need. Windows might do better with mpeg4/xvid. Try to take openelec settings and use them on windows.

If av sync is slightly off with 24p for your hardware edit the advancedsettings.XML delay. Tune it to your hardware. If you did not encode the vids yourself- correctly, don't ever expect perfection. The source might stink, or their methods for encoding might be quick and stinky (low bitrate/resolution/out of spec/frame rate converted). With video garbage in garbage out.

Trust your bluray/dvd encodes, first. Then try to make the rest work. Sounds like you are getting closer. I am super picky, but it looks like you may get it to work. It took me time to tune it for my needs. In ADVsettings you can tune just about anything. Aac/24p, etc... At least you got to see super smooth playback.. The trick will be finding perfection in your eyes..
Some reading about variants of your card: http://forum.team-mediaportal.com/thread...ost-748213
Deinterlacing 1080i takes some HP. Vdpau Bob should work but Temporal = motion adaptive and is better. Set auto (not ON) If it can handle it. My sad little a4 3400 does very well. Same family chip as your 6450. On paper your chip set is fine. H.264/mpeg2/mpeg4. Try different drivers for artifacts/poor decoding >> macro blocking. Make sure high quality scaling is enabled for > 20%. In deinterlace menu set scaling to lancos optimized for better upscaling. Might kill macro blocking. The green artifacts suggest a bad driver for your card for that video codec/encode setting.
(2014-02-25, 06:48)gfisher Wrote: kourampies. welcome to the xbmc fun. You *should* have no problem getting 23.976 fps on windows. Or close to it. I am very picky when it comes to playback. That GPU is stout for that task. CCC likely is set up wrong or you have a bad version of their driver. Also Gotham plays back much better. The source is much more up to date. I played with frodo for a bit on my 7750 but gotham is much better. It is in alpha but it has been good for me. You can back up user data folder if nervous, see wiki. My My main box is a win7 machine, 955be ati7750 spdif pass-thru, gotham has been stable for me.

Assuming your panel can do 24p.

1 try Gotham. Too many fixes.
2 goto CCC choose quality - disable all filters, add back later if needed, each filter hurts performance.
Disable automatic deinterlacing, slide bar from left to right. Left is easiest on GPU. Right is vector adaptive (VA) best quality but hardest. Not sure your apu can do VA on 1080i content.
3- open xbmc settings-> playback (enable expert mode), choose. Dxva2, adjust refresh to match- always, sync to display yes, av sync DUP/drop..
4- system > system > video output > display mode- full screen #1, verticals sync - always on.
System > audio output , choose the Hdmi direct sound, disable pass through.
5) create an advanced setting.XML file. You must create a latency delay if you have av sync or lipsync issues from hardware delays. My avr has delay with anything, BR, set top, etc...
I will post up my file.
This is what works for me.. Smile
Auto-Deinterlacing is another topic. Doable, but if done wrong PQ stinks. 24p the topic here is progressive anyways, so not needed.

This just made things a LOT better on my system (A8-3850). Can't thank you enough. I've been banging my head against the wall with this problem for a few days -- I never noticed it before switching to a new apartment and a brand new TV...

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Getting perfect sync and speed for 1080p 23.976fps0