WIP Omission - XBMCbuntu has no documentation on how to compile ISO sucessufly.
There is no documentation whatsoever on how to compile a XBMCBuntu iso from git source.

Readmes are still left incomplete and contain no detailed info on how to. Upon several tries which all failed and examination of the buildscripts, all I was able to gleam is little more than what dependecies can be installed and that you can define some flags.

to little or no effect.

Please llcaprioty, or sraue os smomene please provide their expert insights so I can turn into proper documentation and maybe start getting some builds out.

Things that can be gleamed for source are

https://github.com/xbmc/XBMCbuntu

Dependencies are

Code:
git-core debootstrap asciidoc docbook-xsl curl build-essential debhelper autoconf automake autotools-dev curl subversion unzip squashfs-tools cdbs po4a python-utidylib germinate lzma

The main build script is ./buildWithOptions which are explained inside.

Code:
sudo ./buildWithOptions -Xugn

I have tried running this script with said deps in ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64bit (because you need a 64 bit OS to build a 64bit iso... But it fails in final with cannot stat this or that file.

Yes please any assistance would be welcome to get this sorted.

Clearly we would need some further help with XBMCbuntu source, I can write documentation and tidy up other things within the source. Smile
I successfully built this on an ubuntu 13.10 64bit vm from yanniks repo that was updated for Saucy a few months ago. I needed the dependencies you listed and ran buildWithOptions with -n and -X options, but other than an issue with the tvheadend repo not having Saucy versions it built fine. The repo issues I fixed by just hard coding the version to be raring for the tvheadend stuff (since i don't use that anyway). I agree the documentation is sparse though.
I agree that docs are missing, but thats not a bug. There really is not much else then running this script. If it fails there is a problem somewhere that needs fixing.
Two years and not one single document (sparse here means nothing at all) that provides any info is IMO a bug of sorts, clearly the code must be audited by someone experienced and things have to be made simple enough for everyone to achieve this. Smile

To the part concerning this post, clearly my inability to go at it, could be some setup error, I have tried literally dozens of times in various environments, the iso is never once created. (I will pastebin a build output later today)

What I am asking here is , if you can do it, post some details and steps, from the stand point assuming someone downloaded some Linux distro whacked it on vm and gone from there.

(please dont assume anything, especially some expertise by users) Smile

thank you Big Grin

PS. My interest here is to help others really with machines that require a newer Linux base that current one being offered by xbmcbuntu 12.2, e.g. AMD users, INTEL users really are the ones being left out mainly.It is not about the version of xbmc inside it as that is easily fixed. Wink

Edit here is something sort of half decent I found on a fork https://github.com/xbmcrus/XBMCbuntu/com...e670a071a2 even if the AMD stuff is outdated now clearly the idea is this sort of thing.
who says that everyone must be able to build xbmcbuntu isos? This is not for end users and a lack of documentation is _never_ a bug but an omission due to various reasons. If I had the time to write docs, I could as well fix it up instead.
You are right no one has to be able to build xbmcbuntu, and how that somehow is a good thing, I fail to see it. Wink
No one has time and yet we spend silly amount of hours providing support rather than educate users on how to do it themselves and trying to create smarter users... imho thats never a bad thing.

FYI I have 0 interest in xbmcbuntu as a user, yet I am still trying to help others who do have interest and have problems with probably because various limitation, so to that note, I will try to spend some time writing documentation, because I cannot do much else in the way of fixing code.

I get what you trying to tell me, thank you for your time anyway Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Omission - XBMCbuntu has no documentation on how to compile ISO sucessufly.1