Cataloguing opera and classical concert performances
I have a collection of over 200 classical opera and concert performances, most of them captured from TV (mostly German Public TV). Few of those have been released on BD, so almost no information is available from IMDB and similar places.

I am trying to find the best way to prepare meta data for accessing the collection easily from xbmc. For my movies and TV shows I used MediaElch, which worked great.

For the classical music performances, I don't see an obvious way to proceed. Besides the name of the opera, a number of additional tags are required, such as
- composer
- performing opera house
- director
- soloists

For many operas, there are a number of different performances (different opera houses, different singers); it should be possible to tell those apart.

The "music video" category seems not well suited, as it lacks most of the desired meta information.

The "movie" category almost works, it seems to lack composer and director, but the "actor" tags could be used for the soloists. Can extra tags be defined?

A less apealing solution is to simply browse the recordings by file name. I have them neatly placed in different directories (by composer).

I would also like these recordings to show up in their own category, and not mixed in with feature films. There's a feature "custom video nodes" which looks promising, once I get the meta data in place.

I am grateful for advice and ideas on how to proceed.

Roman
Wink 
Hi, I'm gonna try to help you exposing how i solve to manage my library of classical opera live performance.
I must say that my collection is lot smaller than your but i think it could work for you also.

I have a folder that contains the performances (scraped as TV show based on local .NFO) organized this way

Basically a composer is considered as a TV show, an opera as a Season and a single performance as an Episode

c:\opera\
Mozart\
- 1787 Don Giovanni\
-- S1787E1954 Furwangler Salzsburg.avi
-- S1787E1954 Furwangler Salzsburg.nfo
-- S1787E2001 Harnoncourt Zurich.avi
-- S1787E2001 Harnoncourt Zurich.nfo
- 1790 Così fan tutte\
-- S1790E2006 Fischer Glyndebourne.avi
-- S1790E2006 Fischer Glyndebourne.nfo
- fanart.jpg
- season1787-poster
- season1790-poster
Rossini\
same as mozart!

I like this sorting cause you got composer in alphabetical order, operas and performances sorted by date
and you can easily search by conductor or theatre because they are in the file name (or episode title)
Plus you can easily put all the bells and whistles like portrait of authors and posters of operas
and in the .nfo add singers as actors and stage director as director,
so everything seem pretty much consistent...

Problems arise when you've got two composition by the same author in the same year (wich is pretty rare i think) or when you got two performance of the same opera in the same year (wich can probably happen often with a large library as it happened once even to my small collection)...
I solved this problem by cheating and changing the year of the performance that is not so relevant for me...

hope it can be helpful in some way
(2014-07-29, 01:37)frollo Wrote: ...
c:\opera\
Mozart\
- 1787 Don Giovanni\
-- S1787E1954 Furwangler Salzsburg.avi
-- S1787E1954 Furwangler Salzsburg.nfo
-- S1787E2001 Harnoncourt Zurich.avi
-- S1787E2001 Harnoncourt Zurich.nfo
- 1790 Così fan tutte\
-- S1790E2006 Fischer Glyndebourne.avi
-- S1790E2006 Fischer Glyndebourne.nfo
- fanart.jpg
- season1787-poster
- season1790-poster
Rossini\
same as mozart!

Interesting Idea! I hadn't thought about TV shows. From all types of media, they seem to have the most support for structuring. With an opera as a season, does the opera name (= season title) show up anywhere? All I've seen so far are "Season 1", "Season 2", etc.

Roman
Actually I think it's not possilble cause xbmc don't give you chance to change the name of a season...
I solved this using an image for season where the title is easily readable... it kinda work.
what I'd like to do is to have season plot, but i don't know if this is possible...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cataloguing opera and classical concert performances0