Default font not support chinese?
Hi,

Thanks for the great skin! It is cloest to what I need, however I noticed that it doesn't support displaying of chinese (most likely also Janpanese).
How can I fix this issue? Thank you!
Any suggestion?
A quick solution would be to simply add an Arial fontset. Just download this, copy it to the folder: "C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\skin.aeonmq5\720p\", and replace the existing file. Now open XBMC, go to "Settings -> Appearance -> Skin -> Font", and select "Arial". You should keep a copy of my Font.xml file, because whenever the skin gets updated this file would be overwritten, so you'd have to replace it again.

That was the easy way. The hard way requires you finding fonts that contain such characters, renaming them accordingly, and copying them over to the "skin.aeonmq5\fonts" folder, replacing the existing ones.

P.S.: Regarding the first method, you could do some meddling of your one to make the fonts more to your liking. If you open the new Font.xml you'll see it contains two fontsets rather than only one in the original. These fontsets start with these (lines 4 and 195 respectively):
Code:
<fontset id="Default" unicode="true">
and
Code:
<fontset id="Arial" unicode="true">

Obviously the second one ("Arial") is the one I added. If you believe there is no need for, let's say, the main menu font to be changed, find the corresponding fonts in "Arial" and replace them with the ones in the "Default". Specifically, for the Main Menu fonts you should look for the ones that have sizes of "50" and "60" (search for all the occurrences of "menu principal modelo"), and replace "arial.ttf" with "aeon_mainmenuX.ttf", "X" being the number of the font.
(2014-02-20, 22:22)CutSickAss Wrote: A quick solution would be to simply add an Arial fontset. Just download this, copy it to the folder: "C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\skin.aeonmq5\720p\", and replace the existing file. Now open XBMC, go to "Settings -> Appearance -> Skin -> Font", and select "Arial". You should keep a copy of my Font.xml file, because whenever the skin gets updated this file would be overwritten, so you'd have to replace it again.

That was the easy way. The hard way requires you finding fonts that contain such characters, renaming them accordingly, and copying them over to the "skin.aeonmq5\fonts" folder, replacing the existing ones.

P.S.: Regarding the first method, you could do some meddling of your one to make the fonts more to your liking. If you open the new Font.xml you'll see it contains two fontsets rather than only one in the original. These fontsets start with these (lines 4 and 195 respectively):
Code:
<fontset id="Default" unicode="true">
and
Code:
<fontset id="Arial" unicode="true">

Obviously the second one ("Arial") is the one I added. If you believe there is no need for, let's say, the main menu font to be changed, find the corresponding fonts in "Arial" and replace them with the ones in the "Default". Specifically, for the Main Menu fonts you should look for the ones that have sizes of "50" and "60" (search for all the occurrences of "menu principal modelo"), and replace "arial.ttf" with "aeon_mainmenuX.ttf", "X" being the number of the font.
Hi,
I tried the korean version of MQ5 and it has no problem displaying asian chars.
Is it possible to put that font in new release of MQ5 and provide an option for user to choose between the default font and asian font?
If that is possible it will boost the number of XBMC users in asian to use this skin.
My guess is the Korean version simply has fonts that include the needed characters (the second option I mentioned), but these fonts are very large in size, so I believe MarcosQui wouldn't include them in the skin. I remember there was a similar issue discussed for Aeon Nox in the past (check this out).

This is a problem for all skins, because fixing it requires adding many large fonts that the developers don't want. Going with the Arial fontset solution is what most skinners choose to do.
(2014-02-21, 13:29)CutSickAss Wrote: My guess is the Korean version simply has fonts that include the needed characters (the second option I mentioned), but these fonts are very large in size, so I believe MarcosQui wouldn't include them in the skin. I remember there was a similar issue discussed for Aeon Nox in the past (check this out).

This is a problem for all skins, because fixing it requires adding many large fonts that the developers don't want. Going with the Arial fontset solution is what most skinners choose to do.
Ok, thanks!
I remember the default confluence skin I need to choose arial based font in order to display asian chars.
Regarding the font size, it could be packed in special asian package for asian users - there are a hugh amount XBMC users in China after all.
If you're willing to play with the code a bit, you could do it yourself. Or, if you find the fonts you like, I could help you create a Chinese fontset... it's not that hard, if you check the Font.xml file, you'll see it's pretty straight-forward.
Here's a couple fonts I made for MQ5, based on the default MQ5 menu font (IOW, don't change the menu font in Settings/Appearance/skin/settings/font from Style 1 (standard) ).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yysee4epz1jf1c..._fonts.zip

Additional character glyphs from Android Droid Sans Fallback font under Apache 2.0 license.

Feel free to try (back up the existing fonts first then replace in the MQ5 font folder). I mainly care about Hangul and Katakana, with some unified Hanja/Kanji but I think it has traditional/simplified Chinese coverage (never tested so can't tell you for sure).

scott s.
Thanks so much scott967 - that was a great help finally getting Hangul (Korean) to show up within my XBMC setup. Something I've been looking to do for years, but never achieved before your handy fonts.

thanks Smile

P.S - Can confirm that at least some Chinese script (everything in my library anyway) is also displaying correctly with your fonts.
(2014-05-07, 09:52)kiboy6 Wrote: Thanks so much scott967 - that was a great help finally getting Hangul (Korean) to show up within my XBMC setup. Something I've been looking to do for years, but never achieved before your handy fonts.

thanks Smile

P.S - Can confirm that at least some Chinese script (everything in my library anyway) is also displaying correctly with your fonts.

Glad it is working.

scott s.
Scott.......works perfectly on Traditional Chinese characters....中文顯示. Thanks.
(2014-02-20, 22:22)CutSickAss Wrote: A quick solution would be to simply add an Arial fontset. Just download this, copy it to the folder: "C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\skin.aeonmq5\720p\", and replace the existing file. Now open XBMC, go to "Settings -> Appearance -> Skin -> Font", and select "Arial". You should keep a copy of my Font.xml file, because whenever the skin gets updated this file would be overwritten, so you'd have to replace it again.

Thx The file [Font.xml] works.I can see chinese at AN5 skin now.
Hi guys, has this been addressed in Mq6? I see the ARIAL option, but it still does not show chinese font, only blocky artifacts. I tried replacing the XML font file by following Cutsickass post #3 above, but that didn't work. Probably because it was meant for MQ5?

Any advice? Thanks.
Would really appreciate it if some of the font experts above would come back to this thread and give instructions on how to add Chinese font to MQ6. I tried following post #3 above, but it didn't work. Everything went blank. So I had to reinsert the original font.xml.
(2015-12-21, 18:43)siratfus Wrote: Would really appreciate it if some of the font experts above would come back to this thread and give instructions on how to add Chinese font to MQ6. I tried following post #3 above, but it didn't work. Everything went blank. So I had to reinsert the original font.xml.

You can use my replacement fonts that I did for MQ5. No need to play with font.xml, although I use the mod one that adds "large" and "massive" fontset as options. You can download just the fonts from my github site for MQ5 Isengard mod. Note that this works only if you use the default font (skinsettings / fonts / font selector use style 1).

aeon_common.ttf

aeon_mainmenu.ttf

You need both files. Copy/replace over the original ones in skin.aeonmq6/fonts/

I mainly was interested in Hangul/Katakana when I made this font but I think it works with either simplified or traditional Chinese.

Note that if a skin upddate gets pushed via the repo the fonts will be replaced so keep a copy around.

scott s.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Default font not support chinese?3