Solved Virtual Keyboard: Suggestions for the i18l support
UPDATE: This was mainly fix in PR5008, for more details see ticket 15382

With @vkosh PR4242 I would like to request a few changes for better RTL support (Arabic, Hebrew, Farsi) in Virtual Keyboard.

Currently the virtual keyboard isn't aware of RTL scripts and just order the text string from the left to the right no matter what.
Better RTL handling in Virtual Keyboard should touch:

* The line identation (to the right or the left).
should be decided by the first character (unless it's a number), this is how it done for example in Gmail, although in Virtual Keyboard maybe it's best just to center the line.
* Words order in the line, it should be the same as the line identation (unless the line is centered).
* Letter order depend on the script used, when a word with a mix of characters from RTL and LTR scripts then the word is divided to sub-strings each with its characters sorted differentely (so the Latin character and numbers will be sorted LTR and the Hebrew ones RTL).

* A capital letter is used for a new line in English, this introducing an issue with Hebrew, even if the language is set as Hebrew the first character will automatically will be English cap as the caps in Hebrew keyboard layout are the Latin caps (very handy when writing a mixed Hebrew and English line, no need to change language, just press shift or caps).
So this is needed to be addressed as an exception (set externally in the DialogKeyboard.xml so it can be adapted for other languages).

* If the Virtual Keyboard is used with a text box larger than one line then we need a control (and maybe a button) for manually changing the line identation (although it can auto recognized by the first character) as we can't assume the line will be centered.
The usuall SHIFT+CTL hotkey should be mapped to this control.
This one is more related to some plugins like Forum Browser and not the general use of XBMC.
+1
We need a farsi/arabic/hebrew dev for that. Else its hard to get it right without beeing used to this kind of text input.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
@Memphiz

Thanks for answering.
I thought it should be easy for experienced developer to implement this as there are enough examples on the web (here's one https://github.com/twitter/RTLtextarea/b....module.js ).

I'm not a developer but I might look into it myself.
Memphiz, I can pick it up work on it. Anyway, this is unrelated to PR #4242, right? I mean, the bidi algorithm can be implemented regardless
of the implementation of the i18n on screen keyboard.

Any starting pointers on where to being?
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...eneric.cpp <- maybe ... no clue - gui is not my area.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
+1
voguemaster: We already have bidi support, so it may be a matter of turning it on in the appropriate spot.

Though, the edit control assumes left to right input by default, which is kinda what the keyboard is based on (or should be based on).
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Virtual Keyboard: Suggestions for the i18l support0