Help running audio please
I just ordered my pi and have a question/concern about how to get audio to my receiver. My equipment is on a rack in a different room than my tv and all cables are all already run and I can't run any more. The way I have my system setup is that each device runs HDMI to the tv in the other room and all audio runs from each device to my receiver. Yes, it probably would be better if I had run all HDMI to the receiver and then one HDMI from the receiver to the tv, but I didn't and it's too late.

I understand that PI only outputs digital audio from the HDMI cable. I already have a spare HDMI cable running from where the pi will go to the tv, I'm all set for video to the tv, but how will I get that audio to my receiver? Yes, I can run a short HDMI cable from the pi to the receiver and then that spare HDMI cable I referred to from the output of my receiver to the tv, but here is that problem...my receive only has HDMI passthrough so I'd have to ALSO run a digital audio cable from the device to the receiver in addition to that HDMI.

Any thoughts or more importantly, anything I can clear up that makes no sense above.

Thanks for any help on this....

Looking forward to using this with XBMC as I currently use an old AppleTv1 with XBMC and it's sooooo slow with my 1080P movies.
A follow up to my post (even though there were no responses). If I use this device (http://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-to-HDMI-SPD...0713631249), will I loose any audio quality?
If you use the digital (spdif) output the quality should be perfect, although note spdif can't support multichannel PCM.
You will still get multichannel audio for DTS and AC3 passthrough.

The analogue RCA L+R will be lower quality, and obviously only 2 channel.
Thanks popcornmix, can you think of any better solution to my problem?
(2014-02-23, 15:26)hunters Wrote: Thanks popcornmix, can you think of any better solution to my problem?

You mentioned the correct solution. There should be one connection from receiver to TV and each device should connect to receiver.
Thanks, but I can't do that with my current receiver, it requires hdmi AND audio coming from each device.
That device has worked perfectly for my problem, and only cost about $35, far less than a new receiver.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help running audio please0