Gotham 13.1 stores artist NFO into an album folder
I have a strange issue with some artists. Every time when I have an artist with an album that consists of 2 discs, XBMC decides to put artists.nfo, folder.nfo and fanart.nfo files of the artist into an album folder that has subfolders (instead of an artist folder).

For example, I had "George Michael" only as an artist participating on other singers albums/compilations (without any specific album from George Michael).

While having "show artists that appear on compilations only" turned ON, I scrapped artist info with a thumb and a fanart to have info about G. Michael visible in an ARTIST view.

After while, I added to my main music folder a new folder named "George Michael", and a subfolder "Twenty Five" with 2 sub-subfolders "Twenty Five Disc 1" and "Twenty Five Disc 2" (in exactly same structure as for any other artist with albums).
I scanned "Twenty Five" album into the music library and exported library to separate files, so subfolders were populated with album.nfo and a folder.jpg files for this album.

For some strange reason, artist.nfo, folder.jpg, and fanart.jpg for the artist were also put into the subfolder "Twenty Five", and there is no way to correct the problem. In that exported artist.nfo file there was a path as this: G:\Music CDs\George Michael\Twenty Five\

Moreover, after the export of the library, the artist.nfo file for George Michael also had info for three other artists -- all in the same *.nfo file -- for unknown reason. Those three additional artists are completely unrelated to G.M. or any compilation where G.M. is.

As a result an album picture is now used as an artist thumb as well, and even I manually change it to a different picture, after closing and starting XBMC, an album picture overrides an artists picture in an ARTIST view.

I tried to move the whole "George Michael" folder to a different drive. I cleaned the library. I moved the folder back to my music folder. I moved all files for this artist (artist.nfo, folder.jpg, and fanart.jpg) from "Twenty Five" subfolder into "George Michael" folder. I modified the artist.nfo file by removing info about other three unrelated artists, and also by changing a path in an artist.nfo file exported by XBMC to a correct path as this: G:\Music CDs\George Michael\

I launched XBMC, and I scanned the album "Twenty Five" into the library. I went to an ARTIST view and I tried to refresh info for the artist. It did not pick up any info from a corrected artist.nfo file, it goes to Universal scrapper. If I change scrapper to "local .nfo only", it asks for artists name over and over.

I have many other artists with albums, but it happens only with this particular artist.

Did anyone have the same problem -- XBMC exports an artist.nfo file into a wrong folder (the subfolder of an artist folder) and ignores artist.nfo file and pictures in an artist folder?

NOTE:

I did some testing and checking of my music files. It appears that this problem is presented ONLY in a situation where there are more than one disc/folder for the same album. So, every time when I have an artist with an album that consists of 2 discs, XBMC decides to put an artists.nfo file into an album folder that has subfolders (as described above for G.M.) instead of putting it into an artists folder that has all albums.

I am using the same structure since Frodo 12, and I never noticed this problem before. It happens only when an artist has only one album and that album has more than one disc. If there is mix of 1-disc and 2-disc albums in an artist folder, everything works as expected.
After some additional search, I found out that my problem is already outlined and discussed in a different thread.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=197752

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Gotham 13.1 stores artist NFO into an album folder0