• 3(current)
XBMC becoming a piracy system in eyes of most new users
Hmmm...I suppose the question is, is there anything that can be done to prevent/disable these kinds of add-ons at a coding level. I suspect not, or at least, not easily.
dont think that would be the answer, its the end users responsibility not xbmc's.

What needs to be addressed is the pre-packaged boxes.

Don't know what the commercial use policy is, but maybe have something that says anything sold with xbmc should only have xbmc free from add-ons. Add-ons are the user responsibility.
The seller can pass on a guide to add the add-ons if they so desire.
(2014-02-21, 13:01)JesusOnEez Wrote: Hmmm...I suppose the question is, is there anything that can be done to prevent/disable these kinds of add-ons at a coding level. I suspect not, or at least, not easily.
Nothing should be done IMO. You either have an open system that is free for people to modify/install addons as they please, or you have a closed, walled system restricted to "approved" apps from your official store. Nothing in between will stop people from doing what they are already doing.

(2014-02-21, 13:22)riaz1982 Wrote: Don't know what the commercial use policy is, but maybe have something that says anything sold with xbmc should only have xbmc free from add-ons. Add-ons are the user responsibility.
The seller can pass on a guide to add the add-ons if they so desire.
If I buy a PC from Dell with windows pre-installed, then it's Dell's responsibility to support, not Microsoft's. Likewise XBMC pre-installed boxes are first and foremost the seller's responsibility. I don't think it's right to restrict a seller's right to "add value" by customising & configuring XBMC for non-technical end users.
I do think something like a prominent warning on the website about only buying preinstalled boxes from reputable suppliers and the dangers of untrusted addons might be a good idea though.
There are no sellers rights here.

You are comparing 2 massive, for profit, organisations with that of xbmc not for profit, open software.

xbmc are in there right to restrict the commercial use of its product to whatever they seem fit.

Remember, other companies are making money off xbmc, without contributing to the community, at the same time damaging the reputation and image of xbmc.
(2014-02-21, 14:15)riaz1982 Wrote: There are no sellers rights here.

You are comparing 2 massive, for profit, organisations with that of xbmc not for profit, open software.

xbmc are in there right to restrict the commercial use of its product to whatever they seem fit.

Remember, other companies are making money off xbmc, without contributing to the community, at the same time damaging the reputation and image of xbmc.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here, but I believe as long as this software is licensed under GPLv2 everyone has the right to sell it regardless of their contribution to community.
(2014-02-21, 14:35)awp0 Wrote:

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here, but I believe as long as this software is licensed under GPLv2 everyone has the right to sell it regardless of their contribution to community.

no you may NOT sell the software itself!
they can only sell the boxes or service they provide but they may never charge for the software itself
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2014-02-21, 14:38)Martijn Wrote: no you may NOT sell the software itself!
they can only sell the boxes or service they provide but they may never charge for the software itself

and thats where the blurry line is. People are selling boxes with xbmc and dodgy add-ons pre-installed and pre-configured for an added premium. The boxes are sold at more money than the vanilla ones.

So essentially selling the software.

What are the devs views on this Martijn?
(2014-02-21, 14:38)Martijn Wrote:
(2014-02-21, 14:35)awp0 Wrote:

no you may NOT sell the software itself!

Sorry, yeah, you're right of course. What I meant is that they do have the right to do what they're doing (selling cheap crap hardware with XBMC preinstalled with a bunch of terrible addons) and people can't just bless one vendor and then forbid another vendor just because of one works better than another. That's just not how it works.
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses...AllowMoney
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
Sooooo.....is Martijn wrong (as well as my previous understanding)?

I'm sure what these sellers are doing is legal and covered under the license. However the question is whether someone could even just sell the software itself.
seems so
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
I think the most simple way of putting a stop to this is to use a warning screen for well known repos, or just a screen that pops up letting the person know that:

By using a non-official repository the user is doing so at their own risk and it may harm their computer, installation and could contain illegal content which may lead to civil and criminal prosecution.

Or something like that. I don't mind pressing an extra button click when installing a repo I'm happy with, such as the many that are in the WIP skins section or other areas.
Please read the online manual (wiki) & FAQ (wiki) before posting.

Skins: Estuary | Xperience1080
Opinion: Never purchase HTC products
(2014-02-21, 16:25)Piers Wrote: I think the most simple way of putting a stop to this is to use a warning screen for well known repos, or just a screen that pops up letting the person know that:

By using a non-official repository the user is doing so at their own risk and it may harm their computer, installation and could contain illegal content which may lead to civil and criminal prosecution.

Or something like that. I don't mind pressing an extra button click when installing a repo I'm happy with, such as the many that are in the WIP skins section or other areas.

not the problem really. People installing add-ons themselves know what they are doing and what they are going to get.

Its the pre-installed dodgy add-ons on pre-configured xbmc boxes that have led to alot, if not most, new users to see xbmc and the dodgy add-ons one of the same.

Its damaged xbmc image, in my opinion, as people are thinking this is what xbmc was/is made for.

Ultimately, there is no solution, or issue to resolve, its just a discussion on the subject.
everyone can sell GPL software, they are just required to provide source code.
Maybe just merge this thread with previous discussion thread here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=117995 ?
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC becoming a piracy system in eyes of most new users3