Using XBMC legally on a PC ...ever possible?
i searched around but didn get much... i would like to know if xbmc would be able to run on a standard pc...

is there anyways of running an "xbox-type" bios on a regular motherboard? has anyone done it?

even better, could xbmc be compiled to run on windows?

from my searching i understand hat the xbox bios (roughly equivalent to a os), is built on windows 2000 core minus some stuff, pluss audio/video...

any ideas? more than allowing us to run this "legally" (which i guess doesnt make much difference anyways), this would allow us to know that xbmc is safe for the future (i mean in a few years xboxes are prolly going to be rarer by the day) or are you guys already planning something for x360?
the xbmc codebase could be ported to windows, yes.

the stuff that depends on the xbox kernel functions etc. are almost all available on windows (directx etc.) or would no longer be necessary (smb client and networking would be taken care of by the windows os).

it would run under windows though.

feel free to port the source code. i think it's fair to say that noone in the development team is interested in doing this at this point.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

would it run, say, on wince? (for quicker booting?)

i think xbmc is a kickass software, and even if xbox hardware becomes unavailable or whatever i would not like to stop using it.

kudos to developers
Quote:mediaportal's roots lie in the centre [-forum-auto-response- today's lesson; our name is xboxmediacenter] (xbmc) project which goal was to build a media centre application for the microsoft xbox gaming console. the founder of xbmc, erwin beckers (also know as frodo) concluded early in the xbmc project that there were notable limitations to the xbox platform, mainly that it is unable to support tv cards. xbox platform limitations like these would ultimately hinder the vision of a feature rich media centre application.

in february 2004, erwin left the centre [-forum-auto-response- today's lesson; our name is xboxmediacenter] project to start a new media centre project, now known as mediaportal that would run on the microsoft windows platform. initially existing code was re-used from the xbmc project but after several releases and innumerable feature enhancements there has been almost a complete re-design.

today, mediaportal continues as an open source project, has a core team of developers and a growing community of over 10,000 registered users.

you could check out this project
http://www.team-mediaportal.com/about_mediaportal.html
cool, this is pretty much what i was after.

thanks a bunch!
(royn @ mar. 11 2006,07:34 Wrote:would it run, say, on wince? (for quicker booting?)

i think xbmc is a kickass software, and even if xbox hardware becomes unavailable or whatever i would not like to stop using it.

kudos to developers
could it run without windows (ce)?

<dreammode>just like xbmc runs on the xbox, on (bios) and the bare metal, or using linux with mono??<dreammode>

that would be cool!? xbmc is now limited to xbox owners even there are plenty "xbmc fans" who buy xbox mainly for xbmc. bringing xbmc to the ibm pc would bring much mure potential users and devs to this project. and of course much more cpu power and possibilities!

of course i also know about mediaportal, and i like it, it’s improving a lot, but windows xp in between is what bothers me!
man too bad i cant run that media center on my pc. shit i can barely run windows xp its so slow. it came pre installed with xp but its so shitty.
if i had any knowledge of programming, i would definitely port xboxmediacenter to run on windows. unfortunately, i don't know anything about programming! Sad
http://www.team-mediaportal.com/about_mediaportal.html is basically very similar to xbmc.... i just tried it and it is very cool!
(royn @ mar. 12 2006,08:40 Wrote:http://www.team-mediaportal.com/about_mediaportal.html is basically very similar to xbmc.... i just tried it and it is very cool!
yes it's cool but on my amd athlon 2000 it is not performing so well. i really would like to see no windows in between!!! no registry, no useless processes and no vague weird behaviors. well perhaps later with windows vista itself, and the wpf platform it will probably be a better platform, but for me windows xp is a no go. too much frustration, too many problems!

is it not possible to run xbmc or mediaportal on bare metal or linux?

i also used / tried mythtv and it performs great, it’s only very immature lacking lot’s of features to make it easy to configure and maintain it. but when mythtv is running it performs better than all the other media centers. i love it, but it is not yet perfect!

for the perfect media center i really would like to have combined the native support of many multi media file types (without installing many codecs) of xbmc,
the user interface and good configuration possibilities of mediaportal, and the speed and “feel”of mythtv.

i don’t see a project existing at the moment like this! i’m also not a developer, but i could invest a lot of my time to participate making something like this happen.

the best media center simply should use standard pc hardware and of course be open source!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Using XBMC legally on a PC ...ever possible?0