Low memory warning
Exclamation 
I'm getting a low memory error in windows which minimises xbmc from full screen whilst watching a movie, I cancel this warning and can continue to watch the movie without any issues. This is after the HTPC has been in sleep for some time, put in sleep when xbmc was still full screen. The memory usage in Task Manager is typically 10-20% so not sure what is causing this error. All drivers are uptodate. Screen resolution in windows and xbmc are identical.

Any ideas how to diagnose what is causing this warning and ways to resolve?

CPU - Pentium G3420 with standard fan cooler
MB - GA B85M-HD3
Mem - 4GB DDR3 1333
Case - Silverstone ML03B
Drives - 3.5" 320GB with windows 8.1, 3.5" 1TB WD Green and 2TB WD Green
PSU - PicoPSU 80 with 60W brick
OS - Windows 8.1
Xbmc Frodo 12.2
Sleep mode doesn't play well with some programs. In that mode some active memory is sloughed to hard drive, then when refreshed some of the information may not properly join back in and you might end up with memory leaks or the gfx card fills up etc. You really need to monitor this situation with some desktop tools and keep a proper debug log up. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=42708
I read that Frodo 12.3 has a fix for a memory leak.

I will update from 12.2 and see if that may fix my problem and I will also enable debug.
Issue is still present, Gotham Beta3.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge - please click the plus to the left below to give thanks
I have the same issue (posted in the beta 3 announcement thread), a work around is to turn from true fullscreen mode to windowed fullscreen mode in settings. However this then makes the Windows cursor appear in the centre of the screen (can be moved out of the way, but it will go back to the centre for each video you play).
I've done some extensive reading on this - turns out this is not really an XBMC issue alone, but a (known) Windows 8.1 bug. Seems the common element of affected applications is the fullscreen part. Appears to affect many games too (obviously). Some Indicated this to be an Intel HD graphics /win8.1 issue - but it has also been reported by AMD users.

As "all" fullscreen apps and games are not affected, even some that use immense ammounts of memory - it is still viable that XBMC somehow triggers this - in a manner that can be remedied on XBMC side.

A temporary workaround, besides making sure swapfile is active and windows adjusts the size - is to basically deactivate the low memory warning. In XBMCs case, most of these are "false", in terms of memory actually being low. Please keep in mind - if memory actually were to go low, you get no heads up from Windows, and stuff crash without warning.

And before people go ranting off about having XX gigs of RAM, no need for swap file - keep in mind, some applications are designed to utilize swapfile independent of available RAM.

How to disable the Low Memory warnings in Windows: http://www.overclock.net/t/1409290/windo...t_20396472

Again - this is by no means an (ideal) solution - and while you get rid of the warnings, you're leaving your system vulnerable to memory leaks etc. Use at own risk.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge - please click the plus to the left below to give thanks
(2014-04-15, 23:39)pr0xZen Wrote: I've done some extensive reading on this - turns out this is not really an XBMC issue alone, but a (known) Windows 8.1 bug. Seems the common element of affected applications is the fullscreen part. Appears to affect many games too (obviously). Some Indicated this to be an Intel HD graphics /win8.1 issue - but it has also been reported by AMD users.

As "all" fullscreen apps and games are not affected, even some that use immense ammounts of memory - it is still viable that XBMC somehow triggers this - in a manner that can be remedied on XBMC side.

A temporary workaround, besides making sure swapfile is active and windows adjusts the size - is to basically deactivate the low memory warning. In XBMCs case, most of these are "false", in terms of memory actually being low. Please keep in mind - if memory actually were to go low, you get no heads up from Windows, and stuff crash without warning.

And before people go ranting off about having XX gigs of RAM, no need for swap file - keep in mind, some applications are designed to utilize swapfile independent of available RAM.

How to disable the Low Memory warnings in Windows: http://www.overclock.net/t/1409290/windo...t_20396472

Again - this is by no means an (ideal) solution - and while you get rid of the warnings, you're leaving your system vulnerable to memory leaks etc. Use at own risk.

I still had the low memory warning problem after updating to Frodo 12.3. So searched for solutions and came across your overclock thread and disabled the warning as you described.

It''s been over month now and not had a low memory warning since and everything is working fine Big Grin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Low memory warning0