NUC D54250WYK with openELEC: update BIOS or not
Question 
Hey All, I've just purchased a NUC D54250WYK 4th gen along with a Crucial mSATA 120 gig ssd, and a Crucial 8 gig DDR3L sodimm kit. I'm planning on installing openELEC on the mSATA. I've seen mention in some YouTube vids that you should update the BIOS on the NUC. Is that really necessary?
Below, I've cut-and-pasted from the Intel site their description of the BIOS update, and under "Additional Comments" it indicates that it's not necessary. If it is necessary, which BIOS update should I choose? I'm assuming that the Iflash DOS-based .zip would be the appropriate choice since I'll be installing openELEC. If a BIOS update is necessary, should it be done prior to installing openELEC or after?

Here is the Intel info mentioned above:

"Purpose:
This download record provides three options for updating the BIOS of the Intel® NUC Kits D54250WYK, D34010WYK and Intel® NUC Boards D54250WYB, D34010WYB. You only need to download one.

"Which file to choose:
1. Recovery BIOS Update [WY0024.BIO] - A .BIO file to be used for F7 BIOS Update method or a BIOS recovery process. In the unlikely event that a BIOS update is interrupted, it is possible the BIOS may be left in an unusable state. Use the recovery BIOS update to recover from this condition. It requires a USB flash device or CD.

2. Iflash BIOS Update [WYLPT10H.86A.0024.BI.ZIP] - A DOS-based utility to update the BIOS regardless of operating system. It requires a USB flash device or CD.

3. Express BIOS Updates:

WYLPT10H.86A.0024.EB.EXE - Self-extracting Windows*-based update file, designed to be used on Windows* systems.  This method is the most commonly used.

WYLPT10H.86A.0024.EB.WINPE64.EXE – for WinPE - Self-extracting Windows*-based update file, designed to be used with either Microsoft Windows PE.x64* or Microsoft Windows x64* operating systems.

"Additional notes
Update the BIOS on your computer only if the newer BIOS version specifically solves a problem you have. We do not recommend BIOS updates for computers that do not need it. You can view all new BIOS fixes in the release notes."

Thanks for any input.
Hi fiddleplayer51

I'm contemplating the exact same route - how was your expereince?

Pleased with the purchase and setup ?

Jim
Hey Jim,
I'm happy with my NUC although I wish I'd installed an mSATA 240 gig ssd instead of a 120. It is not necessary to update the BIOS.
I tried openELEC, but found it way too confining. So I installed Windows 7 instead as well as XBMC. I then copied my XBMC folder from my main computer to the XBMC folder on my NUC to maintain my configurations and add ons. I'm very happy with it.
Hey,

If anyone is interested I've put up a review of the i5 D54250WYK NUC here: http://www.homemediatech.net/intel-nuc-i...review/656

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NUC D54250WYK with openELEC: update BIOS or not0