• 101(current)
Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH
(2014-06-30, 12:14)jok3r Wrote: Hi All,

I have looked but cant find the answer.
I own the N2820 Intel NUC and have just purcahsed a Xbox 360 media remote.
I cant seem to get the remote to work on XBMCbuntu, I've tried a few things but nothing seems to work.
However, If i install OpenELEC it works out of the box.

Does anyone what I need to do to get it to work on XMBCbuntu?

Sorry to ask as your having issues but is the remote good for openelec? I'm having issues with my bluetooth ps3 remote so I'm after another option
(2014-06-30, 12:59)javis Wrote: Respone from Intel person (seemingly) regarding availability on 2820 with 2830 CPU

https://communities.intel.com/message/239337#239337

Interesting. The problem is that the model DN2820FYKH don´t change the name with this new version, so it will be difficult to know that version are buying.
(2014-06-30, 15:31)Yorick Wrote:
(2014-06-30, 12:59)javis Wrote: Respone from Intel person (seemingly) regarding availability on 2820 with 2830 CPU

Interesting. The problem is that the model DN2820FYKH don´t change the name with this new version, so it will be difficult to know that version are buying.

Yea, when I asked earlier in the Intel thread about part numbers, there is a different SKU, but...

And the answer to my question on availability that Intel gave is ambiguous at best. Intel is going to dump the old 2820 processor on a lot of unsuspecting people. Intel also said the 2840 chip is being released, so that means we will have obsolete 2820s on the street being sold when people expect either the 2830 or 2840 SOC.

What a company....lol
(2014-06-30, 16:42)visiter555 Wrote:
(2014-06-30, 15:31)Yorick Wrote:

Yea, when I asked earlier in the Intel thread about part numbers, there is a different SKU, but...

And the answer to my question on availability that Intel gave is ambiguous at best. Intel is going to dump the old 2820 processor on a lot of unsuspecting people. Intel also said the 2840 chip is being released, so that means we will have obsolete 2820s on the street being sold when people expect either the 2830 or 2840 SOC.

What a company....lol

Short but interesting read. As stated several times, even very recently - Intel declared a looong time ago, that they would keep the DN2820FYKH model name, as the N2830 SoC is just "a minor revision" of the N2820 (Small tweaks and "patches", notably: adding Quick Sync). Seems the same goes for the N2840. I guess the only way to check what SoC CPU is "in there", would be either the seller/retailer providing the Intel SKU, applied software or visual confirmation. Seing how this is "just a minor revision", most retailers probably won't even update their info.

Intel has been behind on production on this unit since launch - and still is. That means that any retailer is very unlikely to hold "old stock" - new arrivals just go "straight through" to fill backorders, or see a few hours of shelf-time before sale or pickup. What we can derive from this, and the production change happening 30. may - is that if your order was shipped from the retailer/seller to you, after approx. the middle of june - you are highly unlikely to get one with the N2820 SoC/CPU. My basis for this being that the shipments from Intel to your retailer, takes less than 2 weeks. Results may vary.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge - please click the plus to the left below to give thanks
(2014-06-30, 13:58)Sniffer77 Wrote: ...is the remote good for openelec?
Yes
(2014-06-30, 13:58)Sniffer77 Wrote: Sorry to ask as your having issues but is the remote good for openelec? I'm having issues with my bluetooth ps3 remote so I'm after another option

Yeah it does, straight out of the box. I rather run XBMCbuntu but if i can't solve it, ill just use OE
OK. I have searched so forgive me if I failed to find the answer :-)
My setup
Nuc 2820 - xbmc 13.1 git:84725b0 ( openelec) - xbox 360 media remote
Worked brilliantly until.............

Today I updated bios to v34 and now my remote presses are detected as mostly doubles. Very occasionally as single presses. Try navigating and pausing with that little issue ;-)

What the heck did I do wrong?

Surely a bios update couldn't have caused that Huh

Any assistance from the gurus here greatly appreciated

Cheers
(2014-07-04, 05:33)dumfadog Wrote: OK. I have searched so forgive me if I failed to find the answer :-)
My setup

Today I updated bios to v34 and now my remote presses are detected as mostly doubles. Very occasionally as single presses. Try navigating and pausing with that little issue ;-)

Cheers

This has happened to me twice in the past. Check your CPU utilization at idle - I'd imagine its likely doubled as well.

I tried everything to fix - only thing that worked for me was a clean install of OpenELEC.
(2014-06-25, 04:20)pr0xZen Wrote:
(2014-06-22, 15:16)outatouch0 Wrote: Okay thanks guys,
I think I see the nature of my confusion when reading threads.
I don't know the difference between 'regular DTS' vs 'DTS-MA' and/or HD Audio.
I believe all I really need would be 5.1 surround. Sounds like I can get that with Windows then?

Wiki-links have been supplied, if you want to learn a little bit about the different audio formats. Please note: While Windows and the currently available intel drivers do not support DTS-MA (DTS - Master Audio) - an DTS-MA audio bitstream includes a "traditional" DTS signal (called a DTS core, in this context). Even if your current video file/source is only encoded with an DTS-MA audio bitstream, XBMC can still "pull out" that DTS core, and pass that on to your DTS capable AVR. It wont be the full 7.1 HD audio experience, but it is still a very decent 5.1 audio stream.

Hopefully a windows update or new Intel drivers will fix this at some point. And, it is "only" an issue under Windows. With the various flavours of Linux, DTS-HD / DTS-MA is working fine.
Oh god! This still hasn't been resolved. I haven't checked the thread for a couple of months, so I was hoping it was fixed.

Is anyone else having problems with 5.1 audio in Netflix under Win 8.1?
2.0 is fine, but if I enable 5.1 it lags horribly. It basically runs in slow motion with no sound.

I'm really beginning to regret getting this unit...
(2014-07-04, 12:36)ASimkins Wrote:
(2014-07-04, 05:33)dumfadog Wrote: OK. I have searched so forgive me if I failed to find the answer :-)
My setup

Cheers

This has happened to me twice in the past. Check your CPU utilization at idle - I'd imagine its likely doubled as well.

I tried everything to fix - only thing that worked for me was a clean install of OpenELEC.

OMG - yes that's exactly the symptoms.

Anyways I managed to get it working again by renaming userdata to userdata.junk and rebooting.
This reset all my settings and VOILA - all good again.

Thanx for the assistance Smile

PHEW.
(2014-06-26, 16:45)pr0xZen Wrote:
(2014-06-25, 13:00)xbs08 Wrote:
(2014-06-25, 04:20)pr0xZen Wrote: Anyone experienced quite a notable drop in performance with decoding xvid, in Gotham 13.1 releases? I've been trying to go through all the various settings and tweaks to see if something was forgotten (settings lost during update) - but wanted to hear if other users were experiencing similar issues.
What's the average CPU usage during xvid/ac3 playback?
Xvid: 1280x720 avg. 4Mb/s - AC3: 5.1 448kb/s - framerate: 23.976 fps.
Average CPU load: 65-75%

(2014-06-26, 12:04)zzenz Wrote: [...]
I am just updating to windows 8.1 Update 1 to see if that fixes the issue and if not their is a post on how to install the Intel USB3 drivers for win7 x64 on 8.1 etc
http://plugable.com/2012/12/01/windows-8...ontrollers
Should have just stuck with Win7!
Just thought I would post the reply in case other people foolish enough to install windows 8.1, can get a solution if their USB2 tuners don't work.
Please let us know if the update helped you. Also, check if here are more recent drivers for the DN2820FYKH available, than those you currently use. Win8(.1) has had and still have its quirks and issues, just like all other OS'es. The same goes for the Intel drivers for this NUC, and the USB hardware itself. USB issues were the main reason given by Intel, for the N2830 update.
This thread is vast, and some users only come by once in a while. If you're patient, then someone who has encountered your issue might come by. That said, I agree that you're more likely to get a (faster) response in the PVR forum section.

(2014-06-26, 12:23)nickr Wrote: Just use a real OS.
Please nickr, don't go there. I don't want to step on any feet, least of all a 5-year senior member - but those members of all, should strive to keep this form of "flavour preference "debate" " out of topics and threads not dedicated to that particular bicker. Every OS has its strong points/sides, its weak sides / quirks, varying degree of ease of use - - not to mention, all have their bugs (if not the OS itself then through the software applied), some have wider support wihin certain areas - and so on and so forth. Its a pointless argument here, and frankly; Quite a rude response to a decently formulated "question".

Just thought I would reply back. The 8.1 Update 1 did not work nor any of the USB driver hack..

I finally just started again using windows 7.. Which all worked fine.. Not a bad little box, a little slow with menus in some ways, but all in all works great for a 10w media centreSmile
Hi,

I am very happy with my NUC but was missing a remote. I ordered one and got it delivered today. It does work, but only with the USB IR receiver that came with it, and not with the internal IR receiver in the NUC itself. I am running OpenELEC 4.0.6 (Gotham). Is there a setting I am missing? Do I have to change anything in the BIOS?

I looked on this thread as well as on the intel website, but to me it seems that for everybody else it works out of the box?!

Any help would be appreciated!
(2014-07-05, 21:14)Cassiuss Wrote: Hi,

I am very happy with my NUC but was missing a remote. I ordered one and got it delivered today. It does work, but only with the USB IR receiver that came with it, and not with the internal IR receiver in the NUC itself. I am running OpenELEC 4.0.6 (Gotham). Is there a setting I am missing? Do I have to change anything in the BIOS?

I looked on this thread as well as on the intel website, but to me it seems that for everybody else it works out of the box?!

Do you have a link to the remote you bought? It sounds like it may not be an RC6 MCE capable remote but instead one that just emulates a keyboard which is why it only works with its USB dongle.
Delete please

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
(2014-07-05, 21:14)Cassiuss Wrote: Hi,

There are ways to use pretty much any remote, given the approriate drivers and setup.

(2014-07-04, 17:31)ozimek Wrote: Oh god! This still hasn't been resolved. I haven't checked the thread for a couple of months, so I was hoping it was fixed.

Is anyone else having problems with 5.1 audio in Netflix under Win 8.1?
2.0 is fine, but if I enable 5.1 it lags horribly. It basically runs in slow motion with no sound.

I'm really beginning to regret getting this unit...

Same experience I had. I now use a $15 usb soundcard for both optical toslink and 5.1 analog audio to my AVR (which is not HDMI capable). Setting the 5.1 analog output as default device in Windows, and digital output for passthrough in XBMC - I now get 5.1 from the Netflix metro app. It still won't do HDMI bitstream passthrough - but as my current AVR doesn't do HDMI anyway, and my TV doesn't do E-AC-3 - I have no way to test that anymore. In my current setup, Windows do closed decoding of the E-AC-3 (Dolby Digital Plus) stream, and outputs it 6-ch analog.

I'm starting to think maybe the PAP (Protective Audio Path) needed for DTS-HD/MA bitstream passthrough over HDMI in Win 8, is a hardware failure in the NUC, or a wrongly written DHCP identifier. If it was a software/driver issue - they really should have figured it out by now. If anyone getting one with the N2830 tests this, I guess we can get a better resolvement. If it indeed is/were an hardware issue - it would most surely be fixed in the new N28x0 revisions.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge - please click the plus to the left below to give thanks
  • 101(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH5