• 105(current)
Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH
(2014-08-07, 01:49)visiter555 Wrote: Intel has not released the 2830 iteration to distribution at this point.

https://communities.intel.com/message/245945#245945
If I were a betting man I'd guess Intel is using up their entire inventory of 2820 chips in the NUC since their OEM customers don't want them and they'd rather not scrap them. When the 2830 version of the NUC shows up is anyone's guess, but it could be a while.
I just received my 2820 today. I bought some RAM to go with it, but it was 1.5v rather than 1.35v so it just sits there with a black screen. Damn!

I'm pretty sure I only need 2GB of RAM for OpenElec. Is that right? Can someone recommend some inexpensive compatible RAM that's available in the UK? I can't find either of those listed on Intel's RAM compatibility chart.

Oh, also, which OpenElec build should I be using?
2GB is enough for OE.
Generic x64 builds.

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
Just got my 2820 NUC.

I've ordered the Logitech K400 keyboard but I'm also looking for a remote to go with it.

Will an RC6 MCE remote power on the device too?
Mine does. Power on/off, resume/sleep.

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
Hi,
I am upgrading my HT setup from a RaspberryPi/USB3/Ext HDD to a DN2820FYKH, RAM and SSD.
I have ordered the below RAm and SSD. It would give me sufficient room for string nay movies and music that i need on a frequent basis and move the rest to 2TB ext HDD.

Kingston KVR16LS11/4
SandDisk Ultra Plus 128 GB SSD

I have the below questions:
1. My primary use case would be XBMC with 720P/1080P movies and additional tasks of running a SubSonic server and runninga few rsync backups daily.
I am torn between XBMCbuntu and OpenELEC as all of the above can be done on both the platforms. Is there any performance degradation when using XBMCbuntu over OpenELC in vedio playback and general XBMC user interface?

2. Is it possible to run Chrome browser on XBMCbuntu?

3. Will the below mouse work while in BIOS and boot menu (if i decide to dual boot it)
Sound Logic Mini Universal Bluetooth Keyboard

4. What is the best BIOS version for running OpenELEC/XBMCbuntu?
(2014-08-12, 13:59)suku_patel_22 Wrote: I have the below questions:
1. I am torn between XBMCbuntu and OpenELEC as all of the above can be done on both the platforms. Is there any performance degradation when using XBMCbuntu over OpenELC in vedio playback and general XBMC user interface?
I would not expect noticeable degradation. You may get mixed opinions on this one, but OpenELEC is designed as a dedicated media center OS whereas XBMCbuntu is more of a traditional Ubuntu OS with XBMC packaged in. OpenELEC can run a number of services, but XBMCbuntu is likely to provide more flexibility in this area.

2. Is it possible to run Chrome browser on XBMCbuntu? Yes.

3. Will the below mouse work while in BIOS and boot menu (if i decide to dual boot it)
Plan on having to use a traditional USB keyboard/mouse to access the BIOS and boot menu. There are several non-Bluetooth wireless keyboards that work (eg. FAVI).

4. What is the best BIOS version for running OpenELEC/XBMCbuntu? As of right now, 0038. (DN2820FYKH Downloads)
(2014-08-08, 17:38)Stereodude Wrote:
(2014-08-07, 01:49)visiter555 Wrote: Intel has not released the 2830 iteration to distribution at this point.

https://communities.intel.com/message/245945#245945
If I were a betting man I'd guess Intel is using up their entire inventory of 2820 chips in the NUC since their OEM customers don't want them and they'd rather not scrap them. When the 2830 version of the NUC shows up is anyone's guess, but it could be a while.

Of course they are sucking in all the people waiting for the 2830 SOC. Why would they keep the same model name if they were customer centric? LoL
(2014-08-12, 14:40)joshua.lyon Wrote:
(2014-08-12, 13:59)suku_patel_22 Wrote: I have the below questions:
1. I am torn between XBMCbuntu and OpenELEC as all of the above can be done on both the platforms. Is there any performance degradation when using XBMCbuntu over OpenELC in vedio playback and general XBMC user interface?
I would not expect noticeable degradation. You may get mixed opinions on this one, but OpenELEC is designed as a dedicated media center OS whereas XBMCbuntu is more of a traditional Ubuntu OS with XBMC packaged in. OpenELEC can run a number of services, but XBMCbuntu is likely to provide more flexibility in this area.

2. Is it possible to run Chrome browser on XBMCbuntu? Yes.

Plan on having to use a traditional USB keyboard/mouse to access the BIOS and boot menu. There are several non-Bluetooth wireless keyboards that work (eg. FAVI).

4. What is the best BIOS version for running OpenELEC/XBMCbuntu? As of right now, 0038. (DN2820FYKH Downloads)

Thanks. Would this IR remote work?

http://cgi.ebay.in/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?View...1480064208
How do you get in the bios when you have fastboot enabled? I keep pressing F2 but it just boots to OE.
Page 41 - Bios Security Jumper
http://downloadmirror.intel.com/23417/en...Spec03.pdf
| myHTPC |
In regards to the "DN2820FYKH" edition, has anyone received the "2830" model?
Hi,

I'm new here and thinking to buy a 2820.

At this moment I'm working with a raspberrypi with Raspbmc installed on it and the hifiberry. This runs very well and smooth. So I like the developer which is planning for a new name ( which go's with kodi ) and support of new devices. This includes the NUC.
Because the pi is rather slow this is a very nice alternative.

I have 4 questions at this moment:

• Audio out/ headphone : Is this capable for connecting to a old amp of 30 years? I mean .... is the sound good for playing movies etc.
  • Audio out/ headphone : The connector, is it solid enough? When I go from my laptop with this kind of plug its rather crackling when i touch the connector.
  • Is it wise to look for a latest SA version. Understood according to http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Int...own_issues the early models for instance has no header in it.
  • Is there already news about the 2015 models ? Would be disappointing when I get a model and 2 month later there are newer models Tongue
That hw is a good choice - if you don't want to watch LiveTV. Though I would buy the box when your favorized distribution is out and running and working - not before.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2014-08-14, 13:11)wolfie55 Wrote: Hi,

I'm new here and thinking to buy a 2820.

At this moment I'm working with a raspberrypi with Raspbmc installed on it and the hifiberry. This runs very well and smooth. So I like the developer which is planning for a new name ( which go's with kodi ) and support of new devices. This includes the NUC.
Because the pi is rather slow this is a very nice alternative.

I have 4 questions at this moment:

• Audio out/ headphone : Is this capable for connecting to a old amp of 30 years? I mean .... is the sound good for playing movies etc.
  • Audio out/ headphone : The connector, is it solid enough? When I go from my laptop with this kind of plug its rather crackling when i touch the connector.
  • Is it wise to look for a latest SA version. Understood according to http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Int...own_issues the early models for instance has no header in it.
  • Is there already news about the 2015 models ? Would be disappointing when I get a model and 2 month later there are newer models Tongue
I just got mine today, ordered the 2820 too. I had the same reservation about the newer hardware but who knows when the current stocks will deplete.

The 4GB DDR3L I bought will still be good if decide to upgrade at a later date. If it does what I need now I'm happy, if in 6 months I decide it's not, I'm sure the 2nd hand value of the current version isn't going drop that much. If I trade up and lose £20/£30 quid...I can live with that.

Will have little play tonight, can't wait Smile
  • 105(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH5