• 71(current)
Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH
(2014-04-17, 18:00)macmus Wrote:
(2014-04-16, 19:43)xbs08 Wrote: RC6 protocol remotes will work.
The one in my sig works fine in OE and I can power on/off the NUC with it.

What about Windows 8 ?
Can i map controls for e.g Netflix APP ? What program i should use for that.

Sorry I gave up on windows as a media center a long time ago Smile

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
(2014-04-16, 19:43)xbs08 Wrote: RC6 protocol remotes will work.
The one in my sig works fine in OE and I can power on/off the NUC with it.

How did you manage to power up/down? I can only hypernate with my RC6?! BTW I'm running Windows 8.1

Edit: Did not see that you was running OE!
OpenELEC.

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
Hello guys of this thread waiting for my NUC to arrive..just wondering if u could point me to the right ram for this...would this be OK.?thanks..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B009WIW8CO?vs=1
I've ordered mine now too. A 90GB Chronos SSD already lies here and 4Gigs of RAM are ordered too.

Now lets just hope that the store really has them in Stock and is not just fishing for money...

Greetings
David
(2014-04-18, 11:42)warlock09 Wrote: Hello guys of this thread waiting for my NUC to arrive..just wondering if u could point me to the right ram for this...would this be OK.?thanks..

It's should be ok if it is SO-DIMM DDR3L 1.35v.

(2014-04-17, 18:00)macmus Wrote: What about Windows 8 ?

The Netflix Metro app is first and foremost designed for touch interface, falling back on mouse for navigation and keyboard for input of course. As of today there are very few keyboard controls - space for pause and so on. Netflix says they're tinkering with keyboard and possibly MCE controls, but no news on "when".

To note for others - this app has nothing to do with Media Center. It is Win8 metro app, and currently the only way to get Netflix SuperHD(+) and 5.1 audio on a computer platform.

(2014-04-18, 11:42)warlock09 Wrote: Hello guys of this thread waiting for my NUC to arrive..just wondering if u could point me to the right ram for this...would this be OK.?thanks..

That stick is not likely to cause any problems. There has been reported some issues regarding heat and space with double-sided RAM, when used as 2x kits in NUCs. This NUC can only accommodate 1 stick, so not a factor. I and some others on this thread got Kingston CT51264BF160B (4GB) - works a charm and its fairly cheap. I don't think it is on the compatability list yet, but we can't expect Intel to test and verify every single ram stick. that physically fits.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge - please click the plus to the left below to give thanks
I use this one (single-sided): http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-CT51264B...B009RBN6I6
It has been tested by Intel on the DN2820FYKH: http://www.intel.com/support/motherboard...034588.htm

BTW here's the SSD I use (one of the cheapest I could find):
http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-SDSSDRC-...B008U3038I

(2014-04-18, 18:19)xbs08 Wrote: I use this one (single-sided): http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-CT51264B...B009RBN6I6
It has been tested by Intel on the DN2820FYKH: http://www.intel.com/support/motherboard...034588.htm
While I expect you are aware of this, some other users might not so I'll just cover it here (Although its covered ~30 pages back too):
The difference between Crucial CT51264BF160BJ, which is listed in the NUC compatability list and Crucial CT51264BF160B (No J) - which is not listed, is that the J stick has higher memory density (8 chips on a single side) and the "Non-J" stick has 16 chips - 8 on each side. A double-sided RAM stick is much thicker than a single-sided one.

Both work fine in the DN2820FYKH, as it can only take 1 ram stick. Reported issues about the "Non-J" stick has been with 2x kits in NUCs that can take 2 ram sticks. Due to how the RAM sticks are mounted, 2x double-sided ram sticks in those NUCs is too tight a fit. Heat, dodgy seating and direct contact between modules is begging for trouble.

Again - NOT an issue for the DN2820FYKH and similar NUCs, as they only have 1 slot anyway.

Edit: I do get a lot of questions regarding this specific module, so I've contacted Intel, and they've accepted a request for testing the Crucial CT51264BF160B (double-sided, non-J) and getting it listed for single-socket NUCs.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge - please click the plus to the left below to give thanks
I was aware but others might not be, like you said, so thank you for explaining.

Has anyone else tried to use TrueCrypt (Windows) full disk encryption with the DN2820?

Whenever it tries to perform the 'test' run, it get to the bootloader and then gives the error:

'BIOS Reserved Too Much Memory' - Is there anyway around this? Reduce the bios footprint?

Encryption is important to me and this issue is stopping me using Windows as a solution.
(2014-04-18, 17:42)pr0xZen Wrote:
(2014-04-17, 18:00)macmus Wrote: What about Windows 8 ?

The Netflix Metro app is first and foremost designed for touch interface, falling back on mouse for navigation and keyboard for input of course. As of today there are very few keyboard controls - space for pause and so on. Netflix says they're tinkering with keyboard and possibly MCE controls, but no news on "when".

To note for others - this app has nothing to do with Media Center. It is Win8 metro app, and currently the only way to get Netflix SuperHD(+) and 5.1 audio on a computer platform.

I'll have to double check when I get home, but you should just be able to navigate the metro Netflix app using a standard MCE remote. I programmed my Harmony 200 to work as an MCE remote, and I can navigate through the app just fine. My play and pause controls also work, last time I checked. The biggest problem I can remember is remembering to set some keys so I can exit and enter the app without having to grab the mouse/keyboard.

(2014-04-22, 00:25)Prestonshire Wrote: Has anyone else tried to use TrueCrypt (Windows) full disk encryption with the DN2820?

Whenever it tries to perform the 'test' run, it get to the bootloader and then gives the error:

'BIOS Reserved Too Much Memory' - Is there anyway around this? Reduce the bios footprint?

Encryption is important to me and this issue is stopping me using Windows as a solution.

I'm not familiar with TrueCrypt or encryption in general, but I think we first need to know how much memory you have installed, and how much of that memory you have dedicated to the GPU. Do you know how much RAM your TrueCrypt program requires to run well? My first guess would just that you may need more RAM.
(2014-04-22, 00:25)Prestonshire Wrote: Has anyone else tried to use TrueCrypt (Windows) full disk encryption with the DN2820?

I believe TrueCrypt & Windows 8(.1) is a trcky one. Win8 is not really supprted, to my knowledge. You will need to deactivate UEFI (Might cause lack of HD-audio output) and install on MBR partition. Google, and you shall find some tips on this.

Another way to go is Windows 7. Not sure how a non-UEFI install will impact audio output there.

(2014-04-22, 04:31)two515ty Wrote: I'll have to double check when I get home, but you should just be able to navigate the metro Netflix app using a standard MCE remote. I programmed my Harmony 200 to work as an MCE remote, and I can navigate through the app just fine. My play and pause controls also work, last time I checked. The biggest problem I can remember is remembering to set some keys so I can exit and enter the app without having to grab the mouse/keyboard.

If you got this going - please share. A lot of people out there looking to get it working.
(2014-04-17, 14:01)Tuloko Wrote: Does anyone have the NUC running any linux release 100%?
I saw something regarding a xbmc ubuntu but not sure how limited/open it is, or if it works on this NUC.

The new XBMCbuntu 13~beta4 runs great on the 2820 NUC.
You can download it from http://mirrors.xbmc.org/releases/XBMCbuntu/ , use Unetbootin to put the iso on an USB stick and then boot the NUC from it for installation.

XBMCbuntu is basically nothing else than a slightly modified Ubuntu installation which boots into XBMC as an appliance directly.
Anything you can run under Ubuntu is installable under XBMCbuntu as well - it just saves you the hassle of setting up XBMC as an appliance Smile
Furthermore the new XBMCbuntu 13 is a onde-disk-fits-all iso which is good for people running Nvidia, AMD and Intel videocards, unlike the past.

I am planning to write an installation howto for the 2820 NUC including HDD, RAM, assembly and installation as mine just came in last saterday - I quickly installed the latest bios and the new XBMCbuntu beta and verified everything (drivers, audio, video) works as expected but didn't have the time to write a full howto.
I did make some notes while installing which can be viewed here: http://schrale.me.uk/?p=212
I have the DN2820FYKH for several days now, and i must say it is ok.
There are some bad things and some good things about this NUC!

By the way, i can't get the CIR to work. is there some tool i can install to see if it's working?

Well, i have installed a msata 30Gb SSD disk with an msata->sata adapter (only for test)
with 2Gb DDR3 SODIMM memory,
with windows 8.1 ENT (only 10Gb needed for installation) x64
and i tested also the windows 8.0 ENT x64, but also the CIR doesn't work..

so.. can someone tell me how to make it work?

by the way, the USB power is enough to make it all work, but for remote controls, bluetooth devices, usbmice, etc,..
the power is so low, that you really need to be close to your device to have it work.. WHY WHY WHY INTEL?
  • 71(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH5