• 73(current)
Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH
So the solution would be an av receiver with hdmi? I'm not happy to spend 400€ only for the nuc audio, because my receiver is a bit old but it works perfectly.

Something like this could be a solution?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HDMI-to-HDMI-A...43c685cc40
(2014-04-22, 04:31)two515ty Wrote:
(2014-04-18, 17:42)pr0xZen Wrote:
(2014-04-17, 18:00)macmus Wrote: What about Windows 8 ?
Can i map controls for e.g Netflix APP ? What program i should use for that.

The Netflix Metro app is first and foremost designed for touch interface, falling back on mouse for navigation and keyboard for input of course. As of today there are very few keyboard controls - space for pause and so on. Netflix says they're tinkering with keyboard and possibly MCE controls, but no news on "when".

To note for others - this app has nothing to do with Media Center. It is Win8 metro app, and currently the only way to get Netflix SuperHD(+) and 5.1 audio on a computer platform.

I'll have to double check when I get home, but you should just be able to navigate the metro Netflix app using a standard MCE remote. I programmed my Harmony 200 to work as an MCE remote, and I can navigate through the app just fine. My play and pause controls also work, last time I checked. The biggest problem I can remember is remembering to set some keys so I can exit and enter the app without having to grab the mouse/keyboard.

Well I was partially correct, but mostly mistaken lol. Yes, I can move around the app and select a movie from the list of movies. However, I can't actually select the movie's poster to get it to play. I had to use my K400's trackpad to click on the poster and make the movie play. I also can't access the menu function via remote. The only things that work 100% are the play, pause, and stop buttons. If I can reprogram some of the number pad buttons to keyboard and/or mouse functions, it may work. At this time though, it looks like a mouse and/or keyboard are the best way to use the Netflix app, as you stated already.
(2014-04-23, 18:52)darkf3d3 Wrote: So the solution would be an av receiver with hdmi? I'm not happy to spend 400€ only for the nuc audio, because my receiver is a bit old but it works perfectly.

Something like this could be a solution?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HDMI-to-HDMI-A...43c685cc40

I would advice against it. It is highly unlikely that an item like this will be HDCP certified. Without this, the unit would not pull through media reqiring HDCP negotiation. It might be able to pull out 5.1 AC3 audio, under most configurations - probably only PCM. There are very few units out there that can do the things we ideally want from these. That would require licencing and testing. Without it, it cannot generate valid HDCP keys - and one or both "ends" would not accept the connection.

Sellers of these cheap splitters/repeater combos rely highly on misleading wording - to make you believe that these units do what you want them to. If you confront them with this, they'll always play the "poor language compatability" or translation.

I was looking for a HDMI -> HDMI+SPDIF splitter myself for several days - I did my research, and what I ended up with was the USB soundcard I referred to at the bottom of this post. It'll cost you $15-16, and HDCP is not an issue longer - as the audio is no longer output over HDMI from the source unit - but through a separate soundcard. The unit has 6ch analog outputs, SPDIF (optical) with DTS/AC3 bitstream passthrough (conformed by yours truly) - and actually an SPDIF input too. You could still just select the HDMI output in XBMC or OS settings, if you want Stereo to your TV.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge - please click the plus to the left below to give thanks
Thanks, that seem exactly what i need, in this way i can save money instead of buying a new av receiver.
I looked for that usb soundcard in Europe, because here in Italy shipping from China have ofter delay and problem with customs. I found a lot of seller on ebay that have similar products (from the photos seem to be the same), but there's no brand or model on description.
This is one example:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-2-0-Extern...1393675352

Do you think it's the same?
(2014-04-23, 02:15)noggin Wrote:
(2014-04-23, 01:43)teeedubb Wrote: Hey guys looking at one of these for a friend, but I would like to know how it handles SSE4 yadif deinterlacing of 1080i content in linux (most likely openelec), as mentioned in this post http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1593410 (I couldnt find any confirmation of how well it works in this thread on this hardware).

It seems that intel cpu's have been able to handle the majority of payback needs for quite some time, and hq de-interlacing is somewhere where they have been lagging until now.

fritsch will confirm I'm sure - but AIUI the N2820 isn't up to YADIF 2x de-interlacing of 1080i content, but can do it with 576i/480i SD content. With 1080i you're limited to a Bob in current OpenElec builds with SW de-interlacing of VAAPI decoded video.

Another issue is that the N2820 appears to have a very cut-down HD4000 GPU (1/4 the number of execution units of the i3 Ivy Bridge HD4000 GPU). This limits the quality of scaling in OpenElec - so SD content may not look as good as some would hope.

Thanks for the info. I've also shown him the 3217 nuc as a more powerful alternative which should be a bit more future proof, although close to twice the price here.
(2014-04-23, 23:15)darkf3d3 Wrote: Thanks, that seem exactly what i need, in this way i can save money instead of buying a new av receiver.
I looked for that usb soundcard in Europe, because here in Italy shipping from China have ofter delay and problem with customs. I found a lot of seller on ebay that have similar products (from the photos seem to be the same), but there's no brand or model on description.
This is one example:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-2-0-Extern...1393675352

Do you think it's the same?
Exactly - same here; Bought the USB soundcard, keep my older NAD receiver. Save for the right deal in used hifi marked.
It looks the same, most specs provided there are the same - beyond that, its anyones guess. It has no branding, and it doesn't say what DAC or controller is in it. It is likely to be the same - but I wouldn't be willing to put money on it. I'm not much of a gambling man.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge - please click the plus to the left below to give thanks
(2014-04-23, 16:06)pr0xZen Wrote: For a TV/repeater/AVR etc, to do bitstream passthrough to/through anything other than another HDCP certified device and connection - is in strong breach with HDCP licence and compliance rules (HDCP Licence agreement, Exhibit C - Compliance rules, paragraph 3.3). SPDIF/toslink - optical or coaxial connectivity - cannot be HDCP verified as it does not have the bandwith for encryption, nor the tech for handshake and key verification.

AC3 and DTS can go over SPDIF. These are encoded yes, but not encrypted. The TV, however, receiving the signal over a HDCP connection like HDMI - cannot passthrough this to another device, unless this is also over a HDCP enabled and certified connection. There are some TVs out there that claim they can output AC3 over SPDIF. For this to work, it would be highly dependant on the signal source and connectivity (most likely NOT a HDMI source).

I have experimented with "forcing" a DTS signal to TV for SPDIF passthrough. 2 different results: Either it fails at the source (video playback is garbled/choppy/doesn't play/player crashes etc) - or you get a HORRIBLE and loud "static" noise out.

If you need SPDIF connectivity, you'll need to take this straigth from the NUC to the AV receiver. I am also in this boat (my AVR does not have HDMI connectivity) - and I have had large success with this USB sound card: http://dx.com/p/15746
The Cmedia CM106 is quite a decent DAC, at a very affordable price. This unit also has 5.1 analog outputs if needed (You can have XBMC do software decoding, outputting HD audio over analog). Added bonus: Its one of the few cheap usb solutions that has updated drivers, including Windows 8.1 drivers ( http://www.necacom.net/index.php/cmedia/...8-0-8-2163 )

I'm in the same boat, thank you for posting this. Do you think this would work great out of the box under Ubuntu with USB 3.0 ports? (Asus chrome box here so no 2.0 USB)

Also I was checking at amazon.com for this and found 2 brands HDE and SYBA that have exactly the same audio card, at list from the outside looks exactly the same but they don't have as good reviews as the one at DX.com by C-Media.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/ele...1_4_last#2

I really was looking to get it from amazon.com as I have a list of other things (sound bar, cables, nas HDD, etc) ready to be purchased and shipped. Should I just get the one by HDE?

I know you already have av receivers and I don't, I about to purchase the YAMAHA YAS-103 Sound bar because after checking reviews, price, I/O ports for different sound bars I came up with the YAS-103 for the Coaxial, L R analog audio inputs that are a must for me plus is a 2014 model very new and with exelent reviews . Wish the chromebox had optical SPDIF output.

Suggestions are welcomed!

Smile
My XBMC/Kodi folder: addons, skins, addon/menu backgrounds & more
As far as the amazon item is concerned - all data provided seems to be the same as the ebay one posted above. They look the same, that of specs that is given match - beyond that I wouldn't really know. I only have the one I bought from DX. You could always send them a mail etc, ask if it is a C-media CM106 controller inside. If in any case you get it and it is the C-media CM106 one, and you should happen to install on windows - DO install the drivers I linked to, do NOT stick with the windows drivers, they lack most capabilites, including the configuration tools. For Ubuntu, all should be there I guess - but might need some configuration.

As far as ubuntu go, I know there were some issues with this model 3 years ago - I would highly suspect this has been fixed by now - as the bugs were confirmed and work was done.

Just FIY - there are optical -> coaxial , and coaxial -> optical SPDIF adapters available - can be had cheap on ebay etc - a bit more expensive on Amazon. But bare in mind: These are active adapters, thus require power from wall socket (wall wart usually included), and they are one-way adapters! This means, if your audio source output is optical and the soundbar/av reciever etc, input is coaxial - you need an optical -> coaxial adapter (coverter). Input -> Output.

Optical -> Coaxial
Coaxial -> Optical
Thanks!. Well the YAS-103 has 2 optical inputs, 1 coaxial and 1 L R analog port, I need that coaxial for my DVD only, the L R for my satellite box and the opticals for the Asus chrome box and the MINIX X8 android box I'll get when it comes out for pre-sell. So with that sound bar I have everything covered WITH the need of the sound card you mentioned.

About Ubuntu I saw 2 reviews from Nov/2013 that claims to work just fine in Linux and the other mentioned specifically Ubuntu. I'll ask as you suggested but even if I don't get an answer I'll get it. is not that expensive $13 at amazon.com.

My concern is if it will be usb 3.0 friendly. Can you test that if your box has a 3.0 USB port please?

Update: it seems the optical output of that sound card dont support 5.1 channel, does this mean you can't get 5.1 audio in your receiver/sound bar?, like I have movies with 5.1 audio that I want to enjoy.

TIA
My XBMC/Kodi folder: addons, skins, addon/menu backgrounds & more
(2014-04-24, 01:25)teeedubb Wrote: I've also shown him the 3217 nuc as a more powerful alternative which should be a bit more future proof, although close to twice the price here.

Think on the missing LAN Port and the existing 24p Bug
http://geizhals.de/?cmp=864827&cmp=864876
| myHTPC |
(2014-04-24, 07:20)-DDD- Wrote:
(2014-04-24, 01:25)teeedubb Wrote: I've also shown him the 3217 nuc as a more powerful alternative which should be a bit more future proof, although close to twice the price here.

Thanks for the info, I didnt even think to check for a network port.
You are not alone, many people only see the Price and forget to look at the missing LAN Port Smile
| myHTPC |
The DAC in a USB-->SPDIF device shouldn't matter if you are bitstreaming. The signal is simply passed through.

DAC = Digital Analogue Convertor

If you are keeping it as digital there is by definition no analogue conversion. Simple. The only DAC you care about is in your AVR.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-04-24, 07:20)-DDD- Wrote:

$10 for a USB ethernet jack, problem solved :)

It's basically like having an in-line cable, so it's not really added bulk or anything like that.
Or Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter.

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
  • 73(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH5