• 91(current)
Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH
(2014-05-23, 18:01)rufrothy Wrote:
(2014-05-23, 09:37)champ222 Wrote:
(2014-05-23, 04:02)pierian Wrote: I need help.
I've had my new nuc n2820 for 2 days now and being a noob cannot figure out how to install openelec onto it.
1.i have the latest bios update.
2.latest openelec generic 4.0.2
3.in bios settings I have selected legacy boot and usb selected and saved.
4.installed openelec on a usb.
under legacy boot in bios,i can see my usb device.when I click on the usb it asks to save settings before rebooting to usb,ok.
openelec appears on the screen for installation and after I press enter it says rebooting in 3 seconds and then never reappears on screen again.
I just want to run xbmc on its own without windows, is that ok or do I also need to install windows.my tv is a panasonc 1080p
any help would be appreciated.

I had trouble using the front USB, so I installed from one of the rear usb ports and it worked without issue.

worth a go if you haven't tried it already

Agree on the front USB. 4 different sticks USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 wouldn't boot of the front USB 3.0 port but all worked fine on the back USB 2.0 port.

Sean

I have installed OE from an USB stick (rear USB 2.0) to another USB stick (front 3.0) without issues!
(2014-05-23, 19:49)Cordo Wrote:
(2014-05-23, 18:01)rufrothy Wrote:
(2014-05-23, 09:37)champ222 Wrote: I had trouble using the front USB, so I installed from one of the rear usb ports and it worked without issue.

worth a go if you haven't tried it already

Agree on the front USB. 4 different sticks USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 wouldn't boot of the front USB 3.0 port but all worked fine on the back USB 2.0 port.

Sean

I have installed OE from an USB stick (rear USB 2.0) to another USB stick (front 3.0) without issues!

+1
From USB 2.0 flash drive connected to rear port to USB 3.0 flash drive connected to front port.

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
(2014-05-23, 19:56)xbs08 Wrote:
(2014-05-23, 19:49)Cordo Wrote:
(2014-05-23, 18:01)rufrothy Wrote: Agree on the front USB. 4 different sticks USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 wouldn't boot of the front USB 3.0 port but all worked fine on the back USB 2.0 port.

Sean

+1
From USB 2.0 flash drive connected to rear port to USB 3.0 flash drive connected to front port.

Mine works ok in front usb 3.0 port with openelec..using patriot usb 3.0 8gb..works fine..boots fine..on it..
(2014-05-23, 23:59)warlock09 Wrote:
(2014-05-23, 19:56)xbs08 Wrote:
(2014-05-23, 19:49)Cordo Wrote: I have installed OE from an USB stick (rear USB 2.0) to another USB stick (front 3.0) without issues!

+1

Mine works ok in front usb 3.0 port with openelec..using patriot usb 3.0 8gb..works fine..boots fine..on it..
I have tried 3 usb ports with 3 usb's.openelec comes on screen for 5 seconds and when I press install,it reboots.it does this every 30 seconds.
I have no idea.
What version is your bios on?
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

Maybe your download is corrupted.

Install the generic x86_64 not the 32bit.

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
(2014-05-24, 09:43)xbs08 Wrote: Maybe your download is corrupted.

Install the generic x86_64 not the 32bit.

I don't remember what version I installed - is there a way to se it in XBMC menu?
You should see that in Systeminfo / Operating System:
http://imageshack.us/a/img213/7576/screenshot003pr.png
| myHTPC |
SSH OpenELEC and type...

Code:
uname -a

Output should be something like...

Code:
Linux OpenELEC 3.15.0-rc5 #1 SMP Wed May 21 23:37:12 BST 2014 x86_64 GNU/Linux

From the OE forum...
"OpenELEC version is shown clearly in the GUI if you check the About tab in the new settings addon"

FYI - I just purchased a DN2820FYKH and have installed Ubuntu Server (Trusty 14.04) and XBMC. I used BIOS 0034 and Legacy boot and started with the instructions in the "Linux - vaapi-sse4: Deinterlacing Testing" thread ( http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=165707 ).

Most things just worked but I've had 2 issues so far:

1) CPU utilization was ~40% or so when idling at XBMC main screen. To fix I just disabled the scrolling RSS ticker from the menus.

2) I use an HDMI switcher to choose between XBMC, TiVO or Bluray. If I boot the NUC with the HDMI detached or switched to one of the other inputs I would get "No Signal" when I switched to the NUC.

As a work around I'm using the following bash script started on boot running as user xbmc, but I'd love to hear a better solution...

Code:
#!/bin/bash
LAST_STATUS=$(cat /sys/class/drm/card0-HDMI-A-1/status)
while [ 1 ]; do
    STATUS=$(cat /sys/class/drm/card0-HDMI-A-1/status)
    if [ "$STATUS" != "$LAST_STATUS" ]; then
        xrandr --display :0 --output HDMI1 --auto
    fi
    sleep 5
    LAST_STATUS="$STATUS"
done

-PG
Just wanted to give props to the Intel firmware team, as they've done a bang up job putting out updates and fixing issues. Two minor issues I had have been fixed sometime in the last update or two - the fan now respects the bios setting upon waking from sleep (hooray silence), and you can disable USB devices from turning on the system in the bios.

I'll probably end up buying another once the 2930 version is readily available, as these really are great little computers and the support has been fantastic.
@petergunn You probably know that this is caused by there being no edid data for x when it starts. With nvidia you can grab the edid data and put a line pointing to the edid data file in xorg.conf. I think there is something similar for other drivers.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-05-25, 05:25)nickr Wrote: @petergunn You probably know that this is caused by there being no edid data for x when it starts.

Thanks, I still have some flashbacks from custom xorg config adventures from a decade ago but I'd rather avoid hard coding it. I also have a 1x4 splitter so a xorg.conf solution would have to work with the different displays in case the main one is not switched on.

I'm hoping the issue will just disappear with some future BIOS or driver update and I can just disable my script.

-PG
Generally speaking X will not start properly without either edid data or configuring xorg.conf.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-05-25, 07:12)nickr Wrote: Generally speaking X will not start properly without either edid data or configuring xorg.conf.

If anyone finds a work around for the above, headless running of xbmc, please announce it loudly! I had to switch to Volumio, instead of xbmc just for that reason.
  • 91(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH5