• 1(current)
Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH
Hi.

I'll keep the first post simple as I don't plan to get a device in the near future but I think this platform should deserve its own thread.

Moderator: You're welcome to edit this post as you like so it will stay relevent.

Anyway, it looks to me like Intel just introduced us the perfect HTPC platform, affordable and without dropping any features.

* Intel Nuc on XBMC Wiki:
Please visit this page to read more about Intel NUC and add updated info for the benefit of the community.

For more info about the platform:
* Datasheet for some of the processors.
* Full processors product line.
* Silvermont at Wikipedia.

The first product based on the platform is NUC kit DN2820FYKH:
* Processor: Intel Celeron N2820.
* Graphics: Intel HD Graphics, HDMI 1.4a.
* Peripherals: Front USB 3.0 x1, back USB 2.0 x2, front IR sensor.
* Storage: Internal SATA with 2.5" bay.
* Network: 1GbE, includes preinstalled WIFI-N PCIe card with Bluetooth v4.0.
* Accessories: Includes VEAS mount bracket.
* Price: about 130$.
Does anyone know when this is going to be for sale?
@touser

If you'll google a bit you'll find that it is already available in a few countries like the Czech Republic, Slovakia and Israel.
I guess the rest of the world will get it when Intel will have some stock.
Ahhh, well hopefully it will be available in the US sometime soon then. I wasn't able to find anything when I was looking. Thanks.
Just for info...

Celeron version on sight. Wink
In Check, Slovakia and Israel they are already selling it.
Search google for "DN2820 NUC"... only "N2820" will not give you a result.
http://www.smart.sk/intel-nuc-dn2820-cel...-sata-lan/

EDIT: ehhh, dhead is two day ahead of me. Smile I havent read his second post. S)
I'm eagerly awaiting this, as I have spare 2.5" hdds (and even a cheap ssd) that i could use in a "taller" NUC, save me some money vs getting an mSATA drive.

Think it will require DDR3L (low voltage) so i'll have to pony up and buy some of that, but still pretty good.

I think the ivy bridge NUCs are $160 these days, I hope this thing goes a little lower than that.
If I understand correctly, this is not a haswell technology, or I am wrong?
Also, I cant find any specs for graphics.
Does this HD graphics do correct 23.xxx frames/s?
Bay Trail uses Ivy Bridge generation Intel HD graphics, see http://www.anandtech.com/show/7314/intel...770-tested
(2014-01-07, 22:50)jjd-uk Wrote: Bay Trail uses Ivy Bridge generation Intel HD graphics, see http://www.anandtech.com/show/7314/intel...770-tested

The real question is if there's any difference between Atom, Celeron and Pentium Bay Trail in regards HD Graphic.
Although if one will google a bit he'll find that Intel boasting around that even the tablet Atom Bay Trail SoC can do 4K video and XBMC devs alreafy added software deinterlacing (Yadiff) for Intel on Linux so should we even care about the Graphic Card ?
Don't underestimate the Yadif deinterlacer :-)

It's really good quality wise, but ressource hungry.

On a Celeron 1.5ghz dual Core it needs approx 50% Load, which means one Core is always busy (1080i50 10Mbps). I am not sure how a little Baytrail works with it. Ah and to add: that Code only works with SSE4 intrinsics.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
@fritsch

The datasheet says these processors supports SSE 4.1 & 4.2, is that mean they're compatible with the Yadif code ?
Will this be able to run 1080p.264 10bit mkv's? If so, i might be able to buy this. Was thinking in buying an i3 or i5, but i have a spare ssd, and so this would be much cheaper...
(2014-01-11, 15:03)tfouto Wrote: Will this be able to run 1080p.264 10bit mkv's? If so, i might be able to buy this. Was thinking in buying an i3 or i5, but i have a spare ssd, and so this would be much cheaper...

Word is the previous gen Celeron NUC was able to handle Hi10P (10bit), so this more powerful Celeron NUC should be in a very safe zone for having enough power.
Taken WAY too long for BayTrail to come to the NUC. BayTrail needed to come to Laptops/HTPC devices like yesterday. Can't wait for someone to get their hands on one of these though. Considering chips, by the 1000, are quite cheap, I'm hoping this NUC will be very cheap.
Edit: Seems BayTrail -M and BayTrail-T took different pricing approaches. At least according to the site I'm looking at processor alone is 132 dollars MSRP. Was hoping these NUCs, when fully built would be under $300 (maybe even 250) but doesn't seem like that's possible now.
Intel just tweeted about this yesterday so does that mean they are finally ready to release it??

Quote:Intel® NUC ‏@IntelNUC 10 Jan
Proven performance EXCEPTIONAL value http://intel.ly/1dtAz0V Intel NUC now with 2.5" drive support
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH5