• 16(current)
Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH
(2014-02-01, 21:29)JasonHoffman Wrote: With Windows 8.1 I had no install issues at all. I didn't have HDMI audio after install, but disabling Legacy Boot in the BIOS fixed that. So far I've run Windows 8.0 and 8.1, Linux Mint, and Openelec. All work great...nice and smooth. The only issue I'm having is that I can't pair any Bluetooth devices in openelec, but I'm using a beta build.

Jason

When I disable legacy boot I don't get any UEFI devices available in the menu so I can't boot to the SSD, can you advise how you did this? Did you have to re-install the OS after UEFI was enabled?

Thanks!
(2014-02-01, 20:48)JasonHoffman Wrote: "Does Bay Trail model or Haswell based NUC have a built in support for HDMI-CEC?"
The Bay Trail NUC does not include the header, so no. Still waiting to hear on the Haswell models.

RTFM, specific the "Technical product specification".
The manual shows no CEC header in DN2820FYK but yes for the Haswell NUC I've checked.
Jason, two questions. Is the Header on the Haswll NUCs a custom version like on the Ivys? They needed to have customizations to solder the CEC adapter from Pulse-Eight to it. Is this fixed now?

Second, are there any plans to build a NUC with CEC onboard? I mean, honestly, even the Raspberry Pi for 35$ has this onboard.

Thank you for your answering efforts!

Greetings
David
NUC arrived today, played around with it briefly. Overall, I'm impressed - it's a very solidly built piece of kit. Updated BIOS, then installed Windows 8.1, both of which went smoothly. Will probably try to install Windows 7 later tonight. Fan noise was higher than I expected out of the box, as it defaults to something like 3000rpm minimum. You can turn off the fan completely in the BIOS, which is nice, though at low RPMs the fan is very hard to hear.

prime95 after ten minutes:

And 24fps output seems to be okay?

edwr, did you install windows 8 in legacy mode or UEFI?
(2014-02-02, 05:13)mlrtime3 Wrote: edwr, did you install windows 8 in legacy mode or UEFI?

UEFI. I've since installed Windows 7 in legacy mode, though ethernet and wifi didn't work, and I can't get the Windows 8 drivers to install, so now I'm reinstalling Windows 8.1 until that gets sorted out. Using legacy mode this time, seems to be working

edit: I forgot that someone mentioned hdmi audio not working with legacy mode turned on. It is indeed not working. Rofl So, back to UEFI. On the subject of things not working, pulling out usb drives from the 3.0 slot occasionally makes the system power off immediately (!), the usb xhci setting in the bios keeps resetting to disabled (may be related to previous), and the boot options menu just displays an unusable white screen. So, still a lot of work to be done, clearly
I set my DN2820FYKH up today, 8GB Crucial RAM and an old 128GB Crucial SSD that I had spare. Running Windows Pro 8.1 and Gotham Alpha with my shared mySQL server for the library. Everything seems to be working fine except for the remote. Has anyone been able to get the built-in IR sensor to work? I'm trying to use with a Harmony One remote.
(2014-02-02, 05:53)edwr Wrote:
(2014-02-02, 05:13)mlrtime3 Wrote: edwr, did you install windows 8 in legacy mode or UEFI?

UEFI. I've since installed Windows 7 in legacy mode, though ethernet and wifi didn't work, and I can't get the Windows 8 drivers to install, so now I'm reinstalling Windows 8.1 until that gets sorted out. Using legacy mode this time, seems to be working

edit: I forgot that someone mentioned hdmi audio not working with legacy mode turned on. It is indeed not working. Rofl So, back to UEFI. On the subject of things not working, pulling out usb drives from the 3.0 slot occasionally makes the system power off immediately (!), the usb xhci setting in the bios keeps resetting to disabled (may be related to previous), and the boot options menu just displays an unusable white screen. So, still a lot of work to be done, clearly

Maybe you need a BIOS upgrade? Find the link to the latest version in the OpenElec post:

http://openelec.tv/forum/64-installation...dn2820fykh
(2014-02-02, 14:56)nogi Wrote: I set my DN2820FYKH up today, 8GB Crucial RAM and an old 128GB Crucial SSD that I had spare. Running Windows Pro 8.1 and Gotham Alpha with my shared mySQL server for the library. Everything seems to be working fine except for the remote. Has anyone been able to get the built-in IR sensor to work? I'm trying to use with a Harmony One remote.

No problems using my Harmony 700.

Using these devices.

Select: Computer – Media Center PC – Microsoft – Windows Media Center SE

Select: Computer – Media Center PC – Microsoft – MCE Keyboard

Do you have IR enabled in BIOS?

(2014-02-02, 05:53)edwr Wrote:

If you still interested these network drivers work fine for Windows 7.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/down...Down=false

Win7 and WinServer 2008 R2 Driver 7.078 2014/1/24 887k

Driver_Win7_7078_01212014

Still waiting on video drivers for Windows 7.
Noticed a few more quirks. Fan setting doesn't seem to be respected after waking from sleep, so it's back to what sounds like the original 3000rpm or higher until a reboot. Any tiny usb mouse movement seems to turn on the machine from a powered off state and I can't find a "wake from usb device" option or similar like I've seen in other bios. And there doesn't seem to be a way to switch between 16-236 and 0-255 in the Intel control panel anymore, or between rgb and ycbcr. I'm pretty sure you could do both in the old panel, but maybe I'm mistaken. edit: Might just be hiding those options since I'm plugged into a TV (though it can do full range), will try monitor later

edit2: I should note that I still like the machine, as it's basically silent (with a bios toggle) and fast enough for my needs at a price competive (or lower, currently) with similar products but with a better warranty

(2014-02-02, 17:04)dCrypt Wrote: Maybe you need a BIOS upgrade? Find the link to the latest version in the OpenElec post:

http://openelec.tv/forum/64-installation...dn2820fykh
That was the first thing I did after opening it up, unfortunately. Well, I suppose I could just have a bum unit, but I hope that's not the case.

(2014-02-02, 17:52)mhaaland Wrote: If you still interested these network drivers work fine for Windows 7.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/down...Down=false

Win7 and WinServer 2008 R2 Driver 7.078 2014/1/24 887k

Driver_Win7_7078_01212014

Still waiting on video drivers for Windows 7.

Ah, thanks! Yeah, I'll probably wait until the video drivers are released to try again
(2014-02-02, 18:26)edwr Wrote: Any tiny usb mouse movement seems to turn on the machine from a powered off state and I can't find a "wake from usb device" option or similar like I've seen in other bios.

Option for disabling USB wakeup is "Allow this device to wake the computer" in the device manager.

http://goo.gl/uFgZFT
(2014-02-02, 19:16)dCrypt Wrote: Option for disabling USB wakeup is "Allow this device to wake the computer" in the device manager.

http://goo.gl/uFgZFT
Hmm, just tried that. Mouse still turned on computer from a powered off state. Not a big deal, just need to remember to switch off the mouse before shutting down
I have been experiencing issues with my Baytrail NUC.
I totally lost my windows 8 install today, I am not happy about having to re-install my OS after 9 days.

I would not recommend the Baytrail NUC. I personally believe that the OUYA and the ARM community has way more to offer than Intel for tons less money.
The NUC DN2820 is a neutered processor and has inferior GPU for the majority of my 720 files. Every-time I turnoff my hotel's tv the display will not restore my session and I needed to reboot the CPU.

At this point I would only recommend a Raspberry Pi or Ouya.
Intel doesn't invest in the XBMC community period. At best they overcharge for a inferior/under built product.
It is pathetic that a BILLION dollar company couldn't fix the 24hz bug or add CEC to their low end media center product.

Raspbmc/Ouya/Apple tv2 outperforms dollar for dollar. Intel is incapable of innovating for the sub 200 dollar price point. It is not wonder that they have announced the lay off of 5,000 employees this year (2014)
(2014-02-03, 04:41)SgtSlaughter Wrote: I have been experiencing issues with my Baytrail NUC.
I totally lost my windows 8 install today, I am not happy about having to re-install my OS after 9 days.

I would not recommend the Baytrail NUC. I personally believe that the OUYA and the ARM community has way more to offer than Intel for tons less money.
The NUC DN2820 is a neutered processor and has inferior GPU for the majority of my 720 files. Every-time I turnoff my hotel's tv the display will not restore my session and I needed to reboot the CPU.

Intel doesn't invest in the XBMC community period. At best they overcharge for a inferior/under built product.
It is pathetic that a BILLION dollar company couldn't fix the 24hz bug or add CEC to their low end media center product.

Raspbmc/Ouya/Apple tv2 outperforms dollar for dollar. Intel is incapable of innovating for the sub 200 dollar price point. It is not wonder that they have announced the lay off of 5,000 employees this year (2014)

As much as I like all three of those ARM-based devices, I would be shocked if the NUC was outperformed by any of them. Then again, I wouldn't recommend to anyone to install Windows for an HTPC either. Even if the hardware video decoding of the NUC's GPU wasn't enough for your files, the CPU alone is enough to decode just about anything you can throw at it.

The NUC does have a CEC option, it's just not installed by default to keep costs down. OUYA can't do anything other than 60hz, and doesn't currently have a CEC option. The ATV2 certainly doesn't outperform the NUC by any stretch of the imagination.
(2014-02-03, 04:55)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2014-02-03, 04:41)SgtSlaughter Wrote: I have been experiencing issues with my Baytrail NUC.

As much as I like all three of those ARM-based devices, I would be shocked if the NUC was outperformed by any of them. Then again, I wouldn't recommend to anyone to install Windows for an HTPC either. Even if the hardware video decoding of the NUC's GPU wasn't enough for your files, the CPU alone is enough to decode just about anything you can throw at it.

The NUC does have a CEC option, it's just not installed by default to keep costs down. OUYA can't do anything other than 60hz, and doesn't currently have a CEC option. The ATV2 certainly doesn't outperform the NUC by any stretch of the imagination.

Ned, the factory NUC bios was not able to boot a openelec install and windows 7 drivers have never been released.I would be shocked if you could ever get comparable solution to the OUYA from Intel for 99 dollars delivered. o my god 60hz that is worse than the nazi gas chambers. how can 140 dollar NUC (not ram or storage) NOT have a CEC and a 35 raspbmc (no sd card storage) have it installed by default?
  • 16(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH5