• 89(current)
Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH
Hi,

Yes, sopcast would be played through XBMC addon.

I guess that the NUC is better than the Fire TV when it comes to XBMC, but I just would like to know if it's also better than the Fire TV when it comes to web browsing.

PS: My budget is 150 GBP so the most expensive thing I could buy at the moment is the NUC

thanks
Do you browse the web on a PC?

As said before, the NUC is a PC.

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
Nuc beats firetv
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Well, I talked my buddy into this NUC, and he ordered one from Amazon for $147. He bought a $22 stick of 2GB 1.35V RAM, an $8 low profile 8GB USB drive, and a $6 RC6 remote from Ebay.

I upgraded the bios to 32, installed OpenELEC Stable - Generic x86_64 Version:4.0.1, and connected his WD Elements 2TB external USB hard drive.

The NUC recognized the external drive instantly, and I scanned in his media to the library. It's running Aeon MQ5 with no problems, and the cheap remote even turns the NUC completely on & off, using the built-in IR receiver. All the buttons work perfect, including the i (info). FWIW, there is still 6.5GB available on the 8GB usb stick.

For $183, you can't go wrong with this setup. The nice thing is you could easily convert this to a Windows PC if desired down the road someday.

I'm impressed. Thanks to everyone in this thread who made it easier for the rest of us!! Big Grin
My Living Room Theater XBMC Mini-ITX Build
CASE: MI-100 - MOBO: ASRock A75M-ITX - APU: A6-3500
Kingston 4GB 1600MHz - SanDisk 128GB SSD -- DVDRW
W7 HP - Kodi 15 - Confluence | ATV1 w/BCM970015 & Crystalbuntu in the BR
I want to setup my NUC to default boot OE from USB, but having the option at startup to choose boot from my SSD with Windows 8.1, anyone knowing how to do that? By default it always boot Windows 8.1! I have to press F10 at startup to choose boot from USB.
You can change boot order in BIOS.

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
(2014-05-17, 05:09)maddog808 Wrote: Well, I talked my buddy into this NUC, and he ordered one from Amazon for $147. He bought a $22 stick of 2GB 1.35V RAM, an $8 low profile 8GB USB drive, and a $6 RC6 remote from Ebay.

I upgraded the bios to 32, installed OpenELEC Stable - Generic x86_64 Version:4.0.1, and connected his WD Elements 2TB external USB hard drive.

The NUC recognized the external drive instantly, and I scanned in his media to the library. It's running Aeon MQ5 with no problems, and the cheap remote even turns the NUC completely on & off, using the built-in IR receiver. All the buttons work perfect, including the i (info). FWIW, there is still 6.5GB available on the 8GB usb stick.

For $183, you can't go wrong with this setup. The nice thing is you could easily convert this to a Windows PC if desired down the road someday.

I'm impressed. Thanks to everyone in this thread who made it easier for the rest of us!! Big Grin

I agree..pretty much satisfied with this tiny little machine..works very well...!! I got win 8.1 installed on an ssd...running well on it...openelec as well...well pleased..my questions now is any suggestion for a good IR remote to work well with this nuc...thanks in advance...
From personal experience MCE model 1039 and Logitech Harmony 300.

If it is just for nuc then cheapest one. If it is for everything else then smart control.
(2014-05-19, 13:07)xbs08 Wrote: You can change boot order in BIOS.

That is my problem, there is a boot order for UEFI (my SSD with Windows) an a boot order for legacy devices (the USB flash drive with OE). The NUC only allows me to boot USB if I disable UEFI-boot?! And afterwards I can't boot to Windows without enabling UEFI-boot again! How do I boot to OE as default and boot to Windows if I press F10 and select the SSD (remove USB flash drive from NUC to boot Windows could also be an option for me)?
I see.
I have OE on the SSD and Xubuntu on flash drive, both legacy, and I can switch boot order in BIOS, maybe there's a problem when mixing UEFI and Legacy.
Hope Intel can fix this issue.

There's a boot selection screen that can be activated in the BIOS, have you tried that?
Or is the boot selection only available in Legacy mode?

(2014-05-19, 16:21)warlock09 Wrote: I agree..pretty much satisfied with this tiny little machine..works very well...!! I got win 8.1 installed on an ssd...running well on it...openelec as well...well pleased..my questions now is any suggestion for a good IR remote to work well with this nuc...thanks in advance...

@ warlock09 -- Check my post that you replied to for a link to a $6 IR remote that works flawlessly. Nod
My Living Room Theater XBMC Mini-ITX Build
CASE: MI-100 - MOBO: ASRock A75M-ITX - APU: A6-3500
Kingston 4GB 1600MHz - SanDisk 128GB SSD -- DVDRW
W7 HP - Kodi 15 - Confluence | ATV1 w/BCM970015 & Crystalbuntu in the BR
Is that remote backlit? (I had a MCE remote that looked like that and it was backlit, very handy).

Also is it the one where you can reprogramme some of the keys? My old one you could reprogramme/teach commands for volume and power.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Hi together,

I have a Bios Screen and overscan problem with my Intel NUC 2820, but before my

Configuration:
Intel Nuc 2820 with 4gb ram @ 1066
latest Bios installed (1 Week ago, should be v32)
64gb SSD
Openelec 4.0.1 installed (it is not a openelec issue, it is a hardwar issue, so I think I can post here)
connected via HDMI to AVR Marantz 7008
Marantz connectet via HDMI to Panasonic3D Full-HD TV / 3D Full-HD BenQ Beamer (I choose Monitor out 1 / 2 manualy, not "auto" because this bugs sometimes)

Problems:
1) bios boot screen dont shows up, so I cant enter Bios. First screen I can see is the openelec boot screen. On my 27'' Gaming monitor it works fine, but I dont want to carry around the Nuc to configurate something
2) when openelec is running I always have to set my TV manually to 16:9 (testet also on a newer Samsung 4K TV). As long as TVs are in "auto" mode I have a perhaps 10% overscan (picture larger than the TV). This problem I have not with my ownbuild HTPC with GForce GT630
3) todo: get a remote running (I found several instructions, will check this out), perhaps I use a CEC adapter since this NUC is build for my parents

bugs other people have:
DTS-HD is running in my configuration (all audio formats), so it seams to be a Win8 problem. Perhaps it is already solved, didnt follow that topic

overall:
A wonderfull package, I am very impressed, but now I would like to kill this EDID (or whatever causes it has) bugs.
Soooooo...do you have an hints for me to solve my problems 1+2?!

Thanks!!!!
Regards,
Michael
If fastboot is enabled, you have to pull the power plug while it's on, in order to have fastboot disabled on the next boot (and can then access bios screen).

In my case though, I cant see any boot or BIOS screen as my TV reports "Mode not supported". I have to put my NUC on a computer monitor, in order to do anything in BIOS. Id be interested if there was a solution but im assuming it outputs some video resolution/format that my 2 TV's do not understand

Regarding overscan when in XBMC are you sure your TV is in 1:1 pixel mapping mode? It differs in terminology between TV models/vendors - sometimes it may be called PC Input, or be referred to as "normal" or "just scan" rather than "zoom" etc. Sometimes only a particular HDMI input on the TV set supports this (eg on one TV i have only HDMI2 supports 1:1 pixel mapping)
pvr.wmc TV addon and ServerWMC Backend Development Team
http://bit.ly/ServerWMC
  • 89(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH5