• 109(current)
Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH
Hi,
Just wondering which version of Openelec people are running with now? I'm currently on 4.0.7 and was thinking of trying the newer Beta versions do they run OK or just sit and wait for the next stable upgrade?
Next question what's the easiest way to upgrade, just drop the kernel and system files into the OE_System folder?

Thanks for the advice.

RLTW
OpenELEC Upgrading: http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/Updating_OpenELEC

Make sure what that upgrading means for your addons
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2014-08-16, 10:36)ozimek Wrote: I'm wondering if this missing functionality is a fair reason to return the unit? I'm really disappointed about this. Undecided

I can't make Netflix in surround work on this unit either. I'm using the app under Win8.1 but it is lagging horribly (i.e. slow motion!) when I enable 5.1. Stereo is fine. Has anyone made Netflix surround work?
Intel claims support in both the manual and i believe, on the retail packaging. They've admitted this is wrong now. Should be grounds for a refund in most countries. Some of us have had these for many months yes, but then again Intel gave strong indications that this was a /software/ issue and would be fixed. They only admitted this to be lacking HW, a few days ago.

The horrible lag/skipping is a direct consequence of Netflix not getting the required PAP.
I've gotten 5.1 and DD+ working fine in Netflix Metro app - by using a $15 USB soundcard that outputs 6-ch (5.1) analog to my AVR (and SPDIF for AC3/DTS). No bitstream, no PAP requirement. For DTS-HD/MA - that route would still require software decoding -> analog output (or LPCM over HDMI).
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge - please click the plus to the left below to give thanks
Hi guys, I'm thinking of buying this nuc, but I could not find information about whether it is capable of playing 1080p mkv encoded in H.265 or x265, can anyone help me?
(2014-08-25, 09:30)Stephen88 Wrote: Hi guys, I'm thinking of buying this nuc, but I could not find information about whether it is capable of playing 1080p mkv encoded in H.265 or x265, can anyone help me?

i3 and i5, not the celeron.
ASRock Beebox J3160 4GB RAM 120GB SATA SSD - Harmony Elite BT
Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH 4GB RAM 120GB SATA SSD - Harmony Smart Control BT
all @ Libreelec Testbuild
HP N54L @ Ubuntu 14.04.4 Minimal Server / MySQL DB
HP N40L @ Ubuntu 14.04.4 Minimal Server
(2014-08-25, 10:49)john.cord Wrote:
(2014-08-25, 09:30)Stephen88 Wrote: Hi guys, I'm thinking of buying this nuc, but I could not find information about whether it is capable of playing 1080p mkv encoded in H.265 or x265, can anyone help me?

thanks John for your reply.
it will mean that I will buy version i3.
If you hear someone in the next versions of nuc with Broadwell and Braswell will still have the hdmi 1.4a and DisplayPort 1.2 connector then again nothing 4k uhd.
(2014-08-25, 12:47)Stephen88 Wrote:
(2014-08-25, 10:49)john.cord Wrote:

thanks John for your reply.
it will mean that I will buy version i3.
If you hear someone in the next versions of nuc with Broadwell and Braswell will still have the hdmi 1.4a and DisplayPort 1.2 connector then again nothing 4k uhd.

HDMI 1.4 carries 3840x2160 at 24, 25 and 30p already. The current Haswell chips support this with no problems. I connected my Chromebox and i5-NUC to a Sony 4K UHD set and had no problems playing 4K H264 24-30p content.

What you can't achieve with current Intel HDMI 1.4 connections is 50p or 60p - so movies are fine, but broadcast TV (there isn't much of this) isn't. (Annoyingly HDMI 2.0 includes an HDMI 1.4 bandwidth-friendly 4:2:0 2160/50p and 60p profile which nVidia have rolled into their Kepler drivers for HDMI 1.4 cards - effectively adding one HDMI 2.0 profile to existing HDMI 1.4 cards. Sony 4K sets will accept this - in fact some of them only accept it as their HDMI 2.0 implementation is effectively limited to HDMI 1.4 bandwidths too.... However Intel don't have this an option yet AIUI - and may decide (or not be able to) implement it?

Also whilst H264 is accelerated at 4K in hardware, H265 is software only. I've not been able to test 24-30p H265 4K - but I know 50-60p stuff really needs an i7 even with the OpenHEVC implementation (which is faster than the one in XBMC currently I believe)
You believe or you know? :-)

Don't forget nobody has tested the openhevc implementation within xbmc - though doing so is quite easy. Change the ffmpeg depends file to link to an openhevc release tarball - done.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I've compared ffplay with and without OpenHEVC on my 4GHz i7-2600K playing 2160/60p H265 stuff and the OpenHEVC implementation appeared to be a bit better. This included either a crop or scale to 1080p. (Crop was obviously less computationally intensive and much more fluid)

ffplay without OpenHEVC on an i5-3570K (not over clocked) was not that great.

The source material was the BBC DVB-T2 38Mbs HEVC broadcasts of the World Cup that they ran that were easily received with a DVB-T2 USB tuner if you were in the coverage area. (They used the frequency reserved for the UK's third DVB-T2 multiplex which has yet to launch)
I have looked but cant find the answer.
I own the N2820 Intel NUC and I want to buy a Xbox 360 black media remote. Only one thing is not clear for me. Can I turn on the NUC with this Remote or it works only when NUC already turned on?
If the N2820 is like the i5-Haswell NUC, and the Black 360 remote the same as the white 360 Media remote, then yes you can switch on the NUC from power off by IR.

My i5-Haswell NUC switches on from off with both a 360 White Media remote and a standard RC6 MCE remote - I'm pretty certain. (My regular RC6 remote had a sticky enter button, so I switched to the 360 remote I had as a spare and don't remember it being an issue)
2820 NUC has CIR = S5 power on from off state via RC6 compatible remote.

All NUCs with IR built in can.
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

(2014-08-23, 21:15)fritsch Wrote: OpenELEC Upgrading: http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/Updating_OpenELEC

Make sure what that upgrading means for your addons

Cheers Fritsch that worked very easy and upgrade is running OK.

plays just fine on VLC, and Windows, I think codec are missing for linux versions.

(2014-08-29, 13:34)YaPaY Wrote: I have looked but cant find the answer.
I own the N2820 Intel NUC and I want to buy a Xbox 360 black media remote. Only one thing is not clear for me. Can I turn on the NUC with this Remote or it works only when NUC already turned on?

You know the Xbox One Remote works fine too?, it works out of the box with OpenElec
Hevc will be supported in oe 4.2 xbmc does not use any codecs. It is pure ffmpeg based. Helix has hevc since the Start. Hevc is nearly useless for 1080p and 4k hevc needs a 3 ghz quadcore.

In short don't buy it cause of hevc.
  • 109(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH5