• 112(current)
Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH
(2014-09-12, 16:53)suku_patel_22 Wrote: I use the 038 bios but bios is not in full screen on my Samsung LCD TV.
Any ideas?

I see there is now a 039 bios

(2014-08-20, 06:19)suku_patel_22 Wrote: Just received my NUC yesterday, updated BIOS to v38 and completed the setup of XBMCBuntu to the SSD.

Coming from a pi this feels so much faster.

I am facing 2 issues
1. My 2TB powered external drive is not being mounted. It is formatted in ext4. Have installed gparted and will check again tonight. Any pointers would help.
2. The GUI is slightly zoomed out. I could fix it in XBMC by setting it to - 4%. How do it fix it for the desktop and the login screen?

Depends on your TV, because the Samsungs have screenfit, and other settings.
To mount your drive you need to look at /etc/fstab
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-09-16, 18:23)GomezAddams Wrote: It's not the NUC. I have a 2820 with 2GB RAM and a 60GB SSD running XBMCBuntu, and everything is quite snappy. No lag at all - even with the heavy skins.

Thank you, it's great to have confirmation.

I ordered a Sandisk Extreme 32GB, then cancelled it when I read of the problems using it as a boot drive, then reordered it when I read that that only applied to sticks manufactured in 2013. I have no idea what I'm going to get now or whether it will work, but it will be useful to have anyway.
I have one great USB drive, no boot problems.

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
Diapason, if you want your NUC to be perfect you should buy an SSD drive, which is a much better & faster than any USB stick.

I have 5 NUC´s and had those "this feels so slow" experiences with USB sticks too.
3 * Nvidia Shield + Synology NAS DS218+ LG 77CX6LA + Genelec + RasPi/rAudio + Adam T5V + T7V + T10S - ArcoLinux
He already has a 1 Tb HDD on the nuc.

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
This particular NUC is a standalone unit mainly for kids movies and some music, so I wanted to keep the price low and the storage levels high. I'm almost certainly going to buy another for the sitting room and I'm more likely to buy an SSD for that along with some sort of external storage. After a bit of experimentation it seems that the problem is only really bad when you lay it on thick with the CDart add-on, and as much as I love the eye candy I can work around the limitation for this one if necessary. Still, I'm hopeful that a better USB will make things snappy enough.
You might be best to make, say, a 16GB partition on that 1TB drive and install your openelec there. It's not like you lose a lot of storage.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-09-18, 11:24)nickr Wrote: You might be best to make, say, a 16GB partition on that 1TB drive and install your openelec there. It's not like you lose a lot of storage.

Yes, that might be a good idea. There's a non-zero chance of me screwing that up, but hey, it's all part of the learning curve. I assume I can't do that without reformatting the drive and "losing" the data that's on there already? It's no biggie of course, I can just copy it back on, but I just want to be sure.

Edit: Never mind, I think gparted will do the job nicely.
I'm having some issues with flash performance in Windows 7. (Damn flash...) FullHD videos will play fine, but with slight annoying stutter. Like the screen is not in sync. I've tried different browsers and also changing the frequency on my Samsung, but with no luck. Hardware acc is also enabled in flash settings.

Using the latest intel drivers for bios, gpu and chipset and I've maxed the setting for video memory in the bios. Also win is set to max perf.

XBMC is running like a charm and streaming 1080p (x264) results in zero lag or stutter.
Thinking of updating to win 8, maybe that will help. (I'm unfortunately forced to run win cause of some applications.)

Anyone else?
(2014-09-19, 17:08)havfjo Wrote: I'm having some issues with flash performance in Windows 7. (Damn flash...) FullHD videos will play fine, but with slight annoying stutter. Like the screen is not in sync. I've tried different browsers and also changing the frequency on my Samsung, but with no luck. Hardware acc is also enabled in flash settings.

Using the latest intel drivers for bios, gpu and chipset and I've maxed the setting for video memory in the bios. Also win is set to max perf.

XBMC is running like a charm and streaming 1080p (x264) results in zero lag or stutter.
Thinking of updating to win 8, maybe that will help. (I'm unfortunately forced to run win cause of some applications.)

Anyone else?
I have just built the NUC 2820 and upgraded it from 7 to 8.1 with a cheap upgrade 8 pro disc. Having put all the mods like start button etc. I am now testing it with no major issues at the moment. I am now looking for a suitable value for money wireless keyboard to work with the Front panel consumer IR sensor. Has anyone have any recommendations, buying form the UK ?
Not sure there are many IR keyboards out there. There was a Windows Media Center keyboard at one point - but think that was discontinued many years ago. However the Baytrail NUC has integrated Bluetooth doesn't it? Why not try a Bluetooth keyboard instead - much more variety to chose from.

The CIR receiver in the NUC is really aimed at remote controls - particularly RC6 Windows Media Center models (or learning/universal remotes that can pretend to be them)
(2014-09-21, 14:28)noggin Wrote: Not sure there are many IR keyboards out there. There was a Windows Media Center keyboard at one point - but think that was discontinued many years ago. However the Baytrail NUC has integrated Bluetooth doesn't it? Why not try a Bluetooth keyboard instead - much more variety to chose from.

The CIR receiver in the NUC is really aimed at remote controls - particularly RC6 Windows Media Center models (or learning/universal remotes that can pretend to be them)

Thanks, but I usually only buy items after looking at reviews, and regarding people using NUC keyboard remote; reviews are conspicuous by their absent.
I already have a self built media center computer with the excellent K400 board, so I have ordered another USB dongle and use that, for the time being.
(2014-09-21, 20:43)amedia Wrote:
(2014-09-21, 14:28)noggin Wrote: Not sure there are many IR keyboards out there. There was a Windows Media Center keyboard at one point - but think that was discontinued many years ago. However the Baytrail NUC has integrated Bluetooth doesn't it? Why not try a Bluetooth keyboard instead - much more variety to chose from.

Thanks, but I usually only buy items after looking at reviews, and regarding people using NUC keyboard remote; reviews are conspicuous by their absent.
I already have a self built media center computer with the excellent K400 board, so I have ordered another USB dongle and use that, for the time being.

If you are running Windows on the NUC, then I don't think you need to look for specific NUC reviews. Unless there is an issue with the Bluetooth card installed as standard (and I think we'd have heard the screams by now) then if a BT keyboard reviews well in Windows it should be fine on the NUC? There are always caveats - but if you buy online you should have some legislation to protect you I'd hope. (In the UK you have a blanket 14 day return policy by law if something doesn't work as you had hoped)
Is this CPU usage good for NUC playing 320Kbps mp3 on XBMCBuntu?

• 112(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH5