Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH)

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 5 Average
amedia Offline
(2014-09-12 16:53)suku_patel_22 Wrote:  I use the 038 bios but bios is not in full screen on my Samsung LCD TV.
Any ideas?

I see there is now a 039 bios

(2014-08-20 06:19)suku_patel_22 Wrote:  Just received my NUC yesterday, updated BIOS to v38 and completed the setup of XBMCBuntu to the SSD.

Coming from a pi this feels so much faster.

I am facing 2 issues
1. My 2TB powered external drive is not being mounted. It is formatted in ext4. Have installed gparted and will check again tonight. Any pointers would help.
2. The GUI is slightly zoomed out. I could fix it in XBMC by setting it to - 4%. How do it fix it for the desktop and the login screen?

Depends on your TV, because the Samsungs have screenfit, and other settings.
(This post was last modified: 2014-09-16 18:35 by amedia.)
find quote
nickr Offline
Donor
To mount your drive you need to look at /etc/fstab

If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the plus button and increase my reputation :)
find quote
Diapason Offline
(2014-09-16 18:23)GomezAddams Wrote:  It's not the NUC. I have a 2820 with 2GB RAM and a 60GB SSD running XBMCBuntu, and everything is quite snappy. No lag at all - even with the heavy skins.

Thank you, it's great to have confirmation.

I ordered a Sandisk Extreme 32GB, then cancelled it when I read of the problems using it as a boot drive, then reordered it when I read that that only applied to sticks manufactured in 2013. I have no idea what I'm going to get now or whether it will work, but it will be useful to have anyway.
find quote
xbs08 Offline
Posting Freak
I have one great USB drive, no boot problems.

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH
  • Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB
  • SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD
  • Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
find quote
Raitsa Offline
Diapason, if you want your NUC to be perfect you should buy an SSD drive, which is a much better & faster than any USB stick.

I have 5 NUCĀ“s and had those "this feels so slow" experiences with USB sticks too.

Sony VPL-HW55ES + Stewart Firehawk 182cm, OpenElec + 4 * Intel NUC, Vu+ Solo2 & T90+8lnb, 28Tb Thecus N7510 NAS, Denon AVR 2310, AMX+ 3*Ipad, 3*KefQ1, 4*KefQ2DS, HSU VTF-3 MK3 turbo
find quote
xbs08 Offline
Posting Freak
He already has a 1 Tb HDD on the nuc.

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH
  • Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB
  • SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD
  • Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
find quote
Diapason Offline
This particular NUC is a standalone unit mainly for kids movies and some music, so I wanted to keep the price low and the storage levels high. I'm almost certainly going to buy another for the sitting room and I'm more likely to buy an SSD for that along with some sort of external storage. After a bit of experimentation it seems that the problem is only really bad when you lay it on thick with the CDart add-on, and as much as I love the eye candy I can work around the limitation for this one if necessary. Still, I'm hopeful that a better USB will make things snappy enough.
find quote
nickr Offline
Donor
You might be best to make, say, a 16GB partition on that 1TB drive and install your openelec there. It's not like you lose a lot of storage.

If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the plus button and increase my reputation :)
find quote
Diapason Offline
(Today 11:24)nickr Wrote:  You might be best to make, say, a 16GB partition on that 1TB drive and install your openelec there. It's not like you lose a lot of storage.

Yes, that might be a good idea. There's a non-zero chance of me screwing that up, but hey, it's all part of the learning curve. I assume I can't do that without reformatting the drive and "losing" the data that's on there already? It's no biggie of course, I can just copy it back on, but I just want to be sure.

Edit: Never mind, I think gparted will do the job nicely.
(This post was last modified: Today 13:55 by Diapason.)
find quote