• 115(current)
Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH
(2014-09-29, 15:47)Fuddyduddy Wrote:
(2014-09-29, 14:46)scarecrow420 Wrote: Bad news for ya - OpenElec IS a Linux distro!
Yes scarecrow, I'm aware that it can be called that. But as you appear not to have registered the OE people go to some lengths to differentiate it from an orthodox distro (if such a thing can be said to exist). You can't run anything on it except Kodi. That suits me just fine because I don't want to - but I DO wish to run Kodi.
Quote:If you had windows 8.1 on there already, why not just install XBMC on there?
Because there's no advantage to me in doing that over continuing to use Windows 8.1 the way I'm already using it (as described). The whole purpose of what I'm trying to do is to replace Windows with Kodi.

But thanks anyway.

I re-read your post again and you really didn't make that clear. You said you are currently using windows and DVBViewer etc. You didn't say you were running XBMC/Kodi on windows. You also said you would rather use a remote rather than your keyboard/mouse and use up a USB slot. You also mention you "Kodi would be a better choice". My confusion is that Kodi (aka XBMC) is software that runs on a number of OS including windows, and including Linux (of which OpenElec is a tailored linux distribution focusing on running XBMC). From your post it sounded like you aren't using Kodi and want to and aren't using a remote but want to... both of these things can be achieved on windows 8.1 most likely with the remote you currently have. Given that you also seemed to be running into issues getting things working in OpenElec I simply made the logical observation/suggestion of why not trying windows? You say it doesn't gain you anything, but I say it solves the 2 things you mentioned - getting your remote working, and running Kodi/XBMC. There is nothing to lose so you may as well give it a go...

Anyhow, if you are keen on getting OpenElec running I don't think you should shy away from trying to get lirc etc running, just because that post has a disclaimer about xbmcubuntu. OpenElec community is great and very helpful, im sure you would be able to find information/help on getting the remote stuff working with it. The post Ned linked, specifically for OpenElec seems to be a good start.

Also it's not really Intel's problem, reading that post it sounds like OpenElec has a non standard lirc setup and isn't seeing the remote actions. I suspect that on windows you probably WOULD see them being rtegistered, either just the default eHome transceiver MCE stuff, or otherwise something like EventGhost should register them

If it's all too difficult and you've spent too much time on it, as others say, get a new remote that is definitely compatible out of the box. You can get RC6/MCE remotes cheap
pvr.wmc TV addon and ServerWMC Backend Development Team
http://bit.ly/ServerWMC
Have you looked at this post? I find it very helpful. http://intelnuc.blogspot.fi/2014/01/mapp...ntrol.html

I think the key is having an RC6 remote.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
If you want this working with the integrated IR receiver under Windows, you're going to have to use an official RC6 or (preferrably confirmed) RC6 compatible remote. There are still some cheap but rather decent RC6 remotes available, like Lenovo's.

More covered in PM.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge - please click the plus to the left below to give thanks
Is anyone having problems with OpenELEC 4.2 and their DN2820?
I've just updated to the 4.2 release, and now the box hard hangs after a period of time.
It doesn't do it whilst I'm playing media, only when the box is idle. If I leave it doing nothing for a couple of hours,
I come back to find it's hard hung.

I'm wondering if this is due to the new CPU power management driver change in 4.2
If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Andy.
Post it in OpenElec Forums with Logs
http://openelec.tv/forum/120-news-announ...mitstart=0
| myHTPC |
Can you ssh in, when it hangs?

What are the temperatures?

What is the last thing you see in your debug log?

What does journalctl --no-pager | pastebinit tell?

Post all those relevant logs in the openelec forum.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I updated last night but also made other changes (OS on a new USB 3.0 stick being the most major) so couldn't decide whether the flaky moments were due to the software or hardware. Problems included hanging at random when changing settings, odd flashes/darkening of the screen when updating libraries and localised image problems on menus (small patches suddenly flashing white). Explorations were interrupted by a fractious and non-sleeping 3 year-old so I couldn't actually test anything, but I certainly wished I hadn't done the os upgrade last night.
Can anyone help.Bought one of these today along with 4gb 1.35v ram and a 64gb SSD,with the intention of installing openELEC.Fitted everything and powered it up and I'm not getting any bios screen.Its hooked up to a hdtv and I have tried 2 different HDMI cables,I have also tried a different ram card taken out of my i3 nuc but still nothing.The power light is not blinking which normally suggests faulty ram,looks like it will be going back tomorrow and being replaced with another i3 version.
What bios version? Earlier versions default/bios resolution was often not supported by TV's, try a normal computer monitor and if it works, update bios then it should work on the TV as well
pvr.wmc TV addon and ServerWMC Backend Development Team
http://bit.ly/ServerWMC
Thanks for the reply,but I don't have access to a computer monitor.I have a iMac and a windows laptop.Is there no way to update bios without a monitor?
Googling shows that some iMacs have a displayport input. At least I think thats what it is showing me. I am not all that familiar with Apple stuff.

Otherwise, do you have a friend with an HDMI monitor? Have one at work?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I have managed to update to latest bios via USB key and bios jumper removed.I am now getting the boot screen,just need to get openELEC to install now which is proving difficult.Keep getting an error message of line 34: fc-cache: not found
Can anyone tell me which version of openelec installs onto this nuc and with which bios?
OpenELEC 4.2.1 - if something does not work, ask back for others that use a newer bios.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
You have to install the following version of openelec: generic x86 x64

http://openelec.tv/get-openelec/download...load/8/601

Bios doesn't matter as long as it's 28< but get the most recent Bios 39
  • 115(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH5