• 117(current)
Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH
What do people here think of this device?

http://liliputing.com/2014/10/windows-co...l-cpu.html

Integrated 2gb ram and 32gb SSD good enough for Openelec?

Could it do 1080p60 H264 and thus also be good enough for SteamOS and game streaming?

Or should I post this question in a new thread?
(2014-10-18, 22:27)calibos Wrote: What do people here think of this device?

http://liliputing.com/2014/10/windows-co...l-cpu.html

Integrated 2gb ram and 32gb SSD good enough for Openelec?

Could it do 1080p60 H264 and thus also be good enough for SteamOS and game streaming?

Or should I post this question in a new thread?

It clearly has nothing to do with this thread.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Saw Baytrail in the thread title and noticed a minute later after posting it was the 2013 iteration hence the edit. So almost nothing to do with this thread in hindsight but I wouldn't go so far as saying 'Clearly'.
(2014-10-18, 23:25)calibos Wrote: Saw Baytrail in the thread title and noticed a minute later after posting it was the 2013 iteration hence the edit. So almost nothing to do with this thread in hindsight but I wouldn't go so far as saying 'Clearly'.

I would. It's not a NUC.
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

Doh! I was still focused on the BayTrail part of the title. I'm an idiot!
(2014-08-19, 08:17)suku_patel_22 Wrote: Has anyone tried OneForAll URC-7960?

http://www.oneforall.com/remotes/urc7960...ntrol.html

Works great....with NUC34...
anyone want to buy my DN2820FYKH? 2 gigs ram, plus an SSD HD.. I forget how big.. but windows8.1 is on it, so it is big enough for that.. let me know if you're interested.. I still need to figure out what the thing is worth.. make a reasonable offer.
Perhaps someone would want it, if he / she does not have to buy that windows 8.1 crap? I would offer it without.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I recently tried set up a second NUC for a friend and first upgraded the BIOS to 40. Now I can not get it recognise the USB boot stick for Openelec. I googled and found the wiki but that seem's out of date now as the instructions there and on the Openelec forum to set up the bios are not matching the options available in the new 40 BIOS. Should I downgrade to version 38 which I have on my current one. Thanks
mine loaded fine via usb installer to ssd with 40.
(2014-10-24, 21:09)kyoo Wrote: anyone want to buy my DN2820FYKH? 2 gigs ram, plus an SSD HD.. I forget how big.. but windows8.1 is on it, so it is big enough for that.. let me know if you're interested.. I still need to figure out what the thing is worth.. make a reasonable offer.

Depends for how much you want to sell it (Germany), without win 8.1
Backend: Asrock N3150 with Ubuntu 22.04 Server with TvHeadend 
Living Room: Nvidia Shield with Kodi
Other Kodi Clients: Coreelec, Mibox, Windows
Hope I am ok to post this here. I need help!

I am having problems trying to install OpenElec on my Intel NUC. I dont have an SSD as I wanted to install the OS on the USB stick. Really hope you can help as I'm close to giving up and returning it.

I have the N2820 (read N2830) model NUC and have done the following;

- made a bootable USB stick (8gb Patriot Supersonic XT) via the Windows tool
- gone into the Intel's BIOS and unticked UEFI boot and ticked Legacy boot, and made sure the boot from USB box is ticked
- got the USB stick showing on my boot priority list
- hit enter on the USB option to boot from it

Result: "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"

I then have tried the following:

- upgrading the BIOS from 0032 to 0034, 0038, 0039 (but not 0040 as someone mentioned a problem with this)
- booting from same Patriot USB stick but via different USB ports (2.0 and 3.0)
- booting from 2 other cheapo USB sticks in various USB ports

Result: "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key", every time.

So. What can I do? I would be very grateful if you are able to help with the following:

- As mentioned, I can see my USB stick in the boot priority list. Isn't this the stage most people have a problem getting to?
- Is there anything I have done regarding the BIOS settings that is wrong, or may have missed? I'm not technical enough to understand it all, just followed instructions.
- Any other suggestion as to why it's not booting from the stick, despite it showing up?
- If all fails with booting from my USB, what are my options? If I buy an SSD for the OS do I still need to boot it from USB (i.e. same problem will occur?)?

Sorry for the long post and all the bullet points Smile

Thanks in advance!
Devices
- NAS: Synology DS212, 6TB, MySQL
- HTPC: Intel NUC N2830, 2.4ghz, 4GB RAM, SSD, Win 7 & OpenElec (dual boot) / Kodi 15.2
- PC: Lenovo M92P, 3.2ghz, 12GB RAM, Win 10 / Kodi 17.4
- Laptop: Acer 5750G, 2.9ghz, 8GB RAM, SSD, Windows 10 / Kodi 15.2

no personal experience with openelec installer (though i did make a bootable USB stick to install windows 8.1 which worked fine), but from a troubleshooting perspective it sounds like the one thing you havent checked/confirmed is that the USB stick/s you are using are infact bootable and correct, ie "what you think they are". Try in another PC and prove that the USB stick is all good?
pvr.wmc TV addon and ServerWMC Backend Development Team
http://bit.ly/ServerWMC
(2014-10-30, 12:19)scarecrow420 Wrote: have you verified that the USB stick is infact bootable etc?

Hi
You are the second person to ask me that. Please can you explain how I do this?

I ran the OpenElec batch file to create a bootable USB and the windows tool confirmed it completed successfully - and (according to OpenElec instructions) the correct files are written to my stick. I assumed this meant the USB would be bootable. But if this is not what you mean then please let me know how I can check if it is bootable!

This bit worked:

Thanks
Devices
- NAS: Synology DS212, 6TB, MySQL
- HTPC: Intel NUC N2830, 2.4ghz, 4GB RAM, SSD, Win 7 & OpenElec (dual boot) / Kodi 15.2
- PC: Lenovo M92P, 3.2ghz, 12GB RAM, Win 10 / Kodi 17.4
- Laptop: Acer 5750G, 2.9ghz, 8GB RAM, SSD, Windows 10 / Kodi 15.2

(2014-10-30, 12:24)flekz Wrote:
(2014-10-30, 12:19)scarecrow420 Wrote: have you verified that the USB stick is infact bootable etc?

Hi
You are the second person to ask me that. Please can you explain how I do this?

I ran the OpenElec batch file to create a bootable USB and the windows tool confirmed it completed successfully - and (according to OpenElec instructions) the correct files are written to my stick. I assumed this meant the USB would be bootable. But if this is not what you mean then please let me know how I can check if it is bootable!

Thanks
put the USB stick in another PC that you know has no issues booting from USB and see if it boots from the stick and you get the openelec installer screen etc?
pvr.wmc TV addon and ServerWMC Backend Development Team
http://bit.ly/ServerWMC
  • 117(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH5