Gotham Nightly Alpha: My compliments!
Just wanted to say "Thanks!" and "Congrats!" to all team members.

I've been slowly assembling the bits and pieces necessary to finally fire Comcast. I've got my HDHomeRun Dual and my HTPC, which unfortunately is a Foxconn NT-A3700 (AMD E-450 Fusion), and will soon be taking delivery of a new & much better antenna. Later on I also plan to purchase a Roku 3, for stuff like Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu Plus that, I fully understand, for contractual reasons, XBMC will likely never do. If I can get all this stuff to work, then I can fire Comcast, which I am deeply looking forward to.

Anyway, the HTPC, even with Win7 + XBMC 12.3 just would not play streams coming out of the HDHomeRun. (I am guessing that was due to some sort of codec issue.) It would only display about 1 frame every second, even though actual CPU usage remained quite low... generally below 20%. But I just now installed the latest nightly Gotham build and the HD streams coming out of the HDHomeRun... even 1080p... are now playing absolutely perfect and ultra crystal clear on my Samsung Plasma TV.

That all having been said, I am no Polyanna, and I understand that there may well be a few, or perhaps even many bugs still in Gotham, but I have every hope and faith that the remaining Alphas and the forthcoming Betas will serve to shake those out over time. I'm just happy to have something to play with now, and greatly relieved to know that I won't be needing to toss out my HTPC and purchase a different one (with a different brand of GPU) as I feared that I might, after seeing how utterly poorly XBMC 12.3 worked on the one I have now, in conjunction with the HDHomeRun. There is hope after all, even for those of us with AMD/ATI GPUs! Yipee!!!
I have an AMD GPU (outdated onboard RadeonHD 2300) and have no issues with any movie (running on Win7)
I suspect the original problems with Frodo were down to incorrect audio settings, most likely leaving stuff like "TrueHD capable receiver" when selecting output as HDMI but connecting to a TV which won't do TrueHD.

With Gotham we've completely redone the audio settings to try and get basic sound working with no playback problems on as many systems as possible, so those who want to passthrough certain formats to an AVR or surround sound have to enable the relevant settings.
Actually, my HTPC is connected to/through a fully capable A/V receiver which can do TrueHD, DTS-HD (Master, Hi-Res, and LBR) and all manner of other audio decoding.

But now that you mentioned it, I will say (straying entirely from the original topic) that I experienced some issues playing video files that contained AC-3 tracks, but I should start a different thread elsewhere to describe those issues. (The issues are not simple to explain, but I found trivially easy work-arounds for all the problems I had relating to AC-3.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Gotham Nightly Alpha: My compliments!0