Release introducing Simerec PCS-MCE!! new for 2014!
Evening chaps,

First off, I am in no way affiliated with Simerec.com.

But once again I prove my username matches what you're all gonna be thinking by the end of this post Wink

Where to begin, eh!

Hot off the press and still warm from the production line. I introduce to you.

The Simerec PCS-MCE!

This is the solution to all the HTPC builders who want IR but don't have CIR headers on their motherboards, want it fitted internally and not to have to have a dongle, want full RC6 and MCE compatibility with their remote AND to be able to power the unit on from powered down and to be all in one. AND MUCH MUCH MORE!!!

Well this is it!!

As a lot of you already know. A fair few of us have fitted Simerec's superb PCS-2 to our mk1 NUCs. last summer, I too fitted one to a Celeron NUC but I took it one further and fitted an RC6 IR receiver alongside internally too. Link is in my sig.

I sent a link of the threads to Simerec to say "this is what some of us are doing with your awesome product and thanks!"

Roll onto July/August and rumours in the hardware section on this forum mentioned Simerec releasing a possible PCS-3 with on/off and RC6 combined! I had sold the NUC and wanted to build a custom box from spares I had. I emailed Steven at Simerec in September to say I had heard rumours and if they were true, could I pre-order one. Steven replied saying that it was true, that if I could wait and as a part thanks for using their product, they'd send me their first one FOC!

Well 5 months of emails between the 2 of us ensued and with great pleasure I can finally reveal a glimpse of the final product!

But it gets even better!!

Not only can I fully control my HTPC and power it on and off. But It has these awesome features....

The "Accessory Power Switch"

The Accessory Power Switch works alongside the PCS-MCE. It allows your existing MCE compatible remote to be used in various ways to switch power to a single accessory such as lighting, a secondary hard drive power, a video input/output switch, or something else. Because the Accessory Power Switch uses what's called a DPDT relay, a system can even be set up to boot from either of two different hard drives VIA REMOTE. Imagine pressing a button and it boots openELEC. Switching off then pressing a different button and it boots Windows! There are many possibilities. I'm thinking it could power on/off an LED light pack or power on/off a pulse eight internal adapter? Or to control some internal HTPC lighting to show off your box?

The accessory power switch will be a purchasable option. It is not known yet if it'll be offered pre-configured with wiring for a user's specific application, or if it will be bare and left to the user to wire it exactly like they want.

There's more,

Key-sequence \ Password Assignment

The PCS-MCE can be programmed to require up to a 10-digit key-sequence to power the PC on, off, or both. Combining this with the optional accessory power switching module allows for many, flexible booting and power switching options.

Button Function Customization

Virtually every button on the Microsoft MCE remote (or universal MCE remote equivalent -- ex. Logitech Harmony) can be re-assigned a different function on the PCS-MCE. Custom key shortcuts can be assigned to buttons that are not normally available via your HTPC IR remote. Button re-assignments can provide for a variety of flexible media player, PC booting, and accessory power switching functions.

Due for full production release in April 2014.

Prices are TBA.

Once I have it [its enroute as we speak] I'll do more photos and video of it in action.

I'm pleased as punch that it's finally coming. The PCS-2 worked so well and really set the bar for the quality and workmanship of their products and IMHO it really filled the gap that was missing for full on/off control. Now the PCS-MCE fully fills that gap as the all in one product a lot of us have been looking for when we negated to realise our chosen motherboard hasn't got a CIR header!! I'm confident the PCS-MCE will be THE ideal part many of us are looking for to fulfil our "never leaving the sofa again" regime.

Plus with the accessory part, this really could give some of us some really trick controls all from a little eye inside our HTPCs!

Steven @ Simerec.com Wrote:"We wanted to push things a bit for several reasons -- one being that since the PCS-MCE only operates with RC6 codes (ie, it can't be programmed to recognize non-RC6 IR codes like the PCS-1/PCS-2 can), we wanted to compensate a bit. However, the truth is that almost everyone uses RC6 with the PCS-1/PCS-2, so it really doesn't justify having that feature."

And finally, you might wonder why the serial number isn't 000001. Well that's because the serial number is generated at random that is used to enter to the configuration mode. So from now on, we must all count numbers as 120956, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc Cool

Still a jammyb! Rofl

I'll be updating this thread when it arrives.

Jammy

Simerec.com
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

Cant wait to hear your opinion on this its the only thing stopping my NUC being a fully fledged HTPC at the moment as I cant remotely switch it on and off!

Roll on April......
Wonder if the people from the US know what jammy barsteward means ?
(2014-02-25, 21:14)mrstarface Wrote: Cant wait to hear your opinion on this its the only thing stopping my NUC being a fully fledged HTPC at the moment as I cant remotely switch it on and off!

Roll on April......

Well it's even easier for you as it's NUC optimised in that it's all plug and play. You just gotta drill a hole!

(2014-02-25, 21:38)jinkyjim Wrote: Wonder if the people from the US know what jammy barsteward means ?

I reckon they do Cool

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

Does the IR receiver appear as a HID keyboard or as a full MS RC6 receiver to the OS? (The difference is subtle but quite significant if you use Windows Media Center - as you lose triple-tap entry and a few other useful bits of functionality)
(2014-02-26, 09:24)jammyb Wrote: Well it's even easier for you as it's NUC optimised in that it's all plug and play. You just gotta drill a hole!

What makes it "NUC optimized"? It could still be used without issue in DIY HTPC hopefully, yes?
Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
I am looking forward to your review!

If you can't wait until April, this one is available now: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...1398076940

It doesn't have all the features and needs power via USB (though there is a 2-wire +5VSB + ground lead available that can be spliced into the PSU like above) when off but it does an nice job. It accepts RC6 codes and is seen as a HID keyboard/mouse.
(2014-02-25, 21:38)jinkyjim Wrote: Wonder if the people from the US know what jammy barsteward means ?

I had no idea Smile
(2014-02-26, 11:57)noggin Wrote: Does the IR receiver appear as a HID keyboard or as a full MS RC6 receiver to the OS? (The difference is subtle but quite significant if you use Windows Media Center - as you lose triple-tap entry and a few other useful bits of functionality)

Being Microsoft compliant, the PCS-MCE does support triple-tap. To enable triple-tap, you need to register the PCS-MCE by simply double clicking a downloadable .reg file.

At some point the PCS-MCE will be part of Microsoft's regular updates, and the .reg file will not be necessary.

(2014-02-26, 17:25)thrak76 Wrote:
(2014-02-26, 09:24)jammyb Wrote: Well it's even easier for you as it's NUC optimised in that it's all plug and play. You just gotta drill a hole!

What makes it "NUC optimized"? It could still be used without issue in DIY HTPC hopefully, yes?

Of course! I meant that in a sense it has all the connectors on the ends of the wires so you literally plug into an internal USB header, then the internal pin headers for permanent 5v, ground and the power SW. Which the NUC has! Not all HTPCs many of us build have permanent 5v as easily accessible! so like with the PCS-2, their guide recommended you tacked off the ATX wiring for it. Which you can still do for this one. But with the NUC it's plug and play and just a case of drilling a hole for it. The PCS-MCE was originally made for the NUC in mind but then the next generation models arrived with built in CIR. So whilst you won't need one for current gen NUCs. It'll be handy knowing its a simple job of fitting one to a NUC and/or any HTPC you build.

I think the only unanswered question I have is finding permanent 5v when you use a PicoPSU!

(2014-02-26, 17:54)Dougie Fresh Wrote: I am looking forward to your review!

If you can't wait until April, this one is available now: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...1398076940

It doesn't have all the features and needs power via USB (though there is a 2-wire +5VSB + ground lead available that can be spliced into the PSU like above) when off but it does an nice job. It accepts RC6 codes and is seen as a HID keyboard/mouse.

Meh, only a few weeks away and the PCS-MCE looks a lot more smaller and more bang for your buck! But then I am biased as it's due imminently! Ha!
What are the benefits of using this over Flirc?
(2014-02-26, 21:52)nooryani84 Wrote: What are the benefits of using this over Flirc?

Well for starters it's INTERNAL. There's no setup required or keys to pair. But there is the option to do so should you wish. It's RC6 compatible and therefore XBMC will work "out of the box" with your MCE remote, RC6 compatible remote or universal remote programmed as MCE.

sure, it can't learn remotes. But can flirc power up my HTPC from powered down?

Smile

But all that is mentioned in my OP. Surely you could of drawn your own comparisons Wink

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

(2014-02-26, 21:34)jammyb Wrote: Meh, only a few weeks away and the PCS-MCE looks a lot more smaller and more bang for your buck! But then I am biased as it's due imminently! Ha!

LOL -- not trying to compete. I am looking foward to hearing about it. It'd be a nice fit for our mini-ITX cases.
(2014-02-26, 23:17)Dougie Fresh Wrote:
(2014-02-26, 21:34)jammyb Wrote: Meh, only a few weeks away and the PCS-MCE looks a lot more smaller and more bang for your buck! But then I am biased as it's due imminently! Ha!

LOL -- not trying to compete. I am looking foward to hearing about it. It'd be a nice fit for our mini-ITX cases.

I know you're not bud, and I'm not trying to be a salesman. I suppose I feel an obligation [which I am more than happy to do] to provide a thread as they've given me their first one FOC, but I'm not biased in any way nor duty bound to skirt around any negatives. Until it arrives. I'm basing my opinion on what I've been shared, told, shown and my previous experience with the PCS-2. It's solid kit and I have no doubt that this will be too. There are plenty of alternatives to be found but my experience [for me] of Simerec originated from this very section of the forum. So to have the opportunity to contribute something back on their behalf is something I'm very happy to try and do.

The fact that they're so small and easy to install IMO is what makes them good and they'd be great in your kit!

(2014-02-26, 21:34)jammyb Wrote: I think the only unanswered question I have is finding permanent 5v when you use a PicoPSU!

Answer provided by Simerec.

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

I wonder if it has power via USB if the +5VSB soldering job is necessary. I know that's the last thing I'd want a customer doing. They mess that up and "oh, it's defective" and you're out $50.
can the accessory be used to turn on the tv?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
introducing Simerec PCS-MCE!! new for 2014!1