DB separate from media separate from XBMC front
Question 
Hi all,

The idea I have is this

Host 1: NAS, store of media only (i.e. nothing XBMC specific)
Host 2: RaspberryPi: Torrents content to NAS + host XBMC DB
Host 3: PC. XBMC front

Essentially what I want is host 2 to download torrents, when a torrent is complete it moves the media to NAS and adds entry to XBMC DB ( and downloads fan art,etc). Host 3 to N could have XBMC with DB pointing to host 2 so when ever I watch a movie in any XBMC front it gets marked as such.

I know it is possible to have XBMC front separate from DB but my questions are:
1. Is it possible to have DB separate from content
2. Does anyone have any experience doing something similar
3. Do you think this is overkill Tongue

Thanks Big Grin

Additional info:
Host 1: ReadyNAS NV2+, 8 TB
Host 2: RaspberryPi B + 1TB local storage
Host 3: WIN7 64X PC
Host N: ?? Most probably Android devices
1) Yup using MySQL server as the backend
2)Personally no, never had enough XBMC systems to justify it. but here this should help http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...sing_MySQL
3)I Wouldn't says its overkill just fun...
that is basically my setup, but i use virtual machines:
main server > storage pool and virtual host
virtual servers:
> media managment and mysql for xbmc
> transcoding server for playon, mediabrowser3 server, subsonic
> security camera system

i have 5 clients that range from xios to my gaming pc.

the nice thing about separating out the parts, is you can tinker with some things and not worry about bringing down the rest of your network on accident.. i can backup my virtual machines, and you can keep image backups of your Rpi config/sd card so when changing things its easy to roll back changes if needed.

oh, and it only becomes overkill when you start adding up the receipts.. so... dont.
Most NASes can torrent, so I am not sure why you want the pi. But sure, it is feasible.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I'm currently having fun getting Media Browser 3 Server being the backend for an XBMC frontend.

the XBMB3C plugin is making GIANT strides to make this happen.

I suggest that the XBMB3C plugin functionality can and should be absorbed into XBMC as a FIRST CLASS member of sources.

I have a Linux server in my home office that runs 24/7, it can and does do any library management task I deem desirable. It is running Media Browser 3 (they are porting to Mono to support Linux and OSX as well as Windows. They are nearly ready for Beta).

It would seem that a XBMC/Media Browser 3 combination would be every bit as good as and have every feature as Plex or JRiver as well as a professed commitment to FOSS.
Instead of a being built in it should be more like PVR addons, tightly integrated but modular still.
Big Grin 
Thanks all for replies.

@el_cabong: exactly why I want to use raspberry for DB managementLaugh
@nickr: NAS should be as idle as possible. HDD life needs to be maintained as much as possible. HDD attached to pi is disposable. + this NAS is a bit doggy on torrents Tongue

Still not sure what I can use to pull all metadata into DB once video is in NAS. Would Media Browser 3 do the trick? too bad it seems server is windows onlyConfused

bit of sidetrack but does anyone know of a good Ethernet KVM (Rpi is right next to router)? My PC connects to router via wifi so I'd like to manage my pi from my PC
Manage the pi via ssh of course.

XBMC puts the data in the database. In the script that transfers the file from the torrent machine to the NAS, add a line to trigger a scrape via curl.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...te_library
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DB separate from media separate from XBMC front0