Win New to live TV with Ceton infinitv4 and Wmc.
I just set this up but I'm terribly surprised at how awful the video quality is and that I can't seem to get the picture size to fill the screen. Could I possibly be missing something? This picture quality is just too low res to even consider getting rid of my stb.
Im assuming you are on a 1080i broadcast so you need to set the interlacing setting in XBMC

While watching a channel, bring up the OSD (press OK on your remote) then go to the video settings (film reel icon). At the top change De-interlace Video to "Auto" and De-interlace Method to "Auto Select" then go to the bottom of the list and choose "Set as default for all videos". That should take care of your picture quality issue.

Not sure what you mean by picture size to fill the screen though? Can you post a screenshot? Do you just mean that you have the live content showing in that smaller window to the top right and still have the channel list frame down the left? There is a FullScreen button you can hit in XBMC (backslash is the keyboard command for it) that you can use, but also in the Settings -> LiveTV -> Playback area is a setting called "start playback minimised" which if you turn that off will mean once you select a channel it automatically goes full screen.

If you are referring to something more general eg that you cant get XBMC application itself to correctly fill your TV screen (eg overscan problems etc) then make sure your TV is set to 1:1 pixel mapping mode (typically called "Just Scan" or "PC" mode etc... sometimes only available on designated HDMI inputs).
pvr.wmc TV addon and ServerWMC Backend Development Team
http://bit.ly/ServerWMC
Awesome! I'll give that a try a little later. The picture not filling the screen is from WMC. When setting it up, it seems to do a 16x9 square in the center of the screen, but with no options to resize it.

As far as picture quality, should I be able to get something similar to what I would see on my Motorola STB?

My build is an Intel i3 3225 hd4000 graphics and 8 gigs of ram. Xbmc is on an ssd as well.
Well i cant speak for your motorola box but i think once you set the de-interlacing settings in XBMC you wont have an issue with the picture quality

Im still confused what you are talking about regarding the picture not filling the screen. When you say it's WMC what do you mean by that? Windows Media Center is weird but not windows desktop or XBMC? Or is it all video output from the HTPC is doing this? Post a screenshot maybe?

You should just be able to set windows (and XBMC) to fullscreen 1920x1080 resolution (assuming your screen is 1080p of course) and then enable 1:1 pixel mapping mode (often called Just Scan) on your TV and you shouldnt have any weird problems or overscan etc. What TV model is it?

My setups are quite similar to yours, socket 1155 boards with sandy bridge pentiums (G620 etc) 4GB RAM and SSD drive
I didn't realize de-interlacing was off by default thanks for the tip.
The display is a Samsung un60f7100 and video is passed through an Onkyo TSX-R607.

All my videos (Mkv, avi) play perfectly in the native Xbmc player but live TV, through Wmc (Windows media center) are still awful.

With all video settings set to auto, it's still grainy and like the screen is zoomed out. I get black bars on all sides. I won't be able to post a screen shot until this weekend. But it seems to be more of a WMC problem.
when you say WMC do you mean the WMC application (windows media center) or do you mean XBMC using the pvr.wmc PVR AddOn to talk to our ServerWMC backend (which then uses the WMC database/services to do it's job) ?
That black bars thing sounds strange.

What OS are you on?
Which tuners do you use?
Does it looks normal in Media Center? (opening the actual MCE app, not XBMC)

When you hit the "\" key on you keyboard, does XBMC look any different? (out of full screen mode)

Are you using view mode "normal"?
Bicubic scaling
Zoom 1.00
Vertical Shift 0.00

What about when you play standard MP4's in videos?

What about your Non-linear stretch?
By WMC I mean Windows media center, the app.

I'm running win7 with a Ceton infinitv4 tuner with Verizon fios.

Everything I play that is streamed from my NAS is fine, but with the same settings on live TV it's shoddy.
this is an XBMC forum so Im getting confused by the references to WMC. The only place WMC has here, is as a recording/tuning source, for our addon to provide liveTV to XBMC. Is XBMC working for you? If so, you should really seek help in a more general place (or possibly a WMC forum rather than XBMC one)
http://thegreenbutton.tv is the place to go for actual Windows Media Center support
I appreciate the help but we unsure if this was something with the per add on or with Windows media center itself. At this point I'm pretty sure it's not Xbmc, since that runs flawlessly for me.

I'll give thegreenbutton.tv a shot.

Thanks again.
(2014-02-27, 15:54)SkinnyT Wrote: I appreciate the help but we unsure if this was something with the per add on or with Windows media center itself. At this point I'm pretty sure it's not Xbmc, since that runs flawlessly for me.

I'll give thegreenbutton.tv a shot.

Thanks again.

Well I know this is the wrong form for actual media center support, but since I thought of an idea, here you go:

You should try setting up the "Display" inside media center itself. Sometimes it defaults to 1024x768 (or will flip to this on occasion)

The long term fix is to go through the display wizard setup at least one time.

Settings>TV>Configure Your TV or Monitor>Yes>Flat panel>HDMI>Wide Screen>1080p,59.94Hz
Also.......
Sometimes you have two different 1080P profiles too, Desktop will be 59hz and Media Center will be 60hz. (annoying back screen when you mininimize/maximize) It's best to make sure they are both the same 1080P profiles. (same refresh)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New to live TV with Ceton infinitv4 and Wmc.0