major difference between NUC i3 ivyBridge or the new bay trail DN2820FYKH?
Hi

So im thinking about setting a NUC up for my father, i myself got the i3 (black red ) ivybridge nuc with openelec on a Msata disk. Im more than happy with its performance.

Will the BayTrail DN2820FYKH perform about the same with openelec on a msata as my i3 ivybridge nuc or is there some things that one might notice?

Best regards
C
Should be kind of obvious that a celeron will not perform the same as an i3. Have you read this? http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Intel_NUC
The Baytrail Nuc is not a "real" celeron. It is even slower than the oldest Nuc with Celeron 847 arround.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
ahh ok, thx for answer.
If it's just being used for media playback, then the BayTrail will be adequate for most people's media playback needs. Let me clarify a few things:

First, the DN2820FYKH does not take mSATA SSD's. You will have to use a regular 2.5" SSD. I doubt you'd see any real world differences in performance. I have an old 30 GB 2.5" SSD in mine and it's no slouch. From power on, I boot into Windows 8 in about 20 seconds or less.

Secondly, I think you should approach this situation objectively, and worry more about whether the DN2820FYKH will be good for your father's needs, and not necessarily how it compares to the i3 SSD. What kind of media will he be playing? What kind of setup are you going for? Does he need it for other general PC uses, or will he just be playing media using XBMC/OpenELEC? Does he want or need to use an IR remote? What is your budget?

Finally, I don't mean to get into stereotypes or assumptions, but I doubt your father would really feel the difference between the old i3 and the new Celeron NUC's unless he was doing something more intensive than media playback.

Personally, I would go with the new Celeron NUC just because of the lower price, ability to take 2.5" SSD's (further decreasing the cost to set it up), and the IR port (I have a Logitech Harmony 200 remote and it just works well with XBMC). If you're installing OpenELEC, being able to use a remote from the start will give you a more simple, easier experience than having to use a keyboard/mouse all the time or having to buy an external IR receiver.

As far as performance, I'd say the DN2820FYKH is more than adequate for most types of high definition media. I've heard it doesn't play Hi10 and VC-1, but I don't have any personal experiences with those. If you're playing 1080p mkvs or other similar media, you shouldn't have any problems. The only other potential issue is that I haven't heard of Dolby Digital or DTS working in Windows via XBMC. If you're not playing Hi10 or VC-1 and don't mind stereo audio (at least in Windows), then the DN2820FYKH is pretty much the best media player available for the money.
does the baytrail do full bit streaming and 24p?
Something else to consider is the BayTrail N2820 NUC doesn't support Windows 7 at the moment. Drivers are supposed to be available next month.

The big feature difference between the i3 and N2820 is support for full 3D video. If you don't care about that, something not-i3 will be fine. For most HTPC tasks however you will see no difference. I tested the C847 with OpenELEC and it was awesome. It's not good in Windows however. So, something to consider if you think you'll ever use it for something other than OpenELEC.

As for C847 vs N2820, the N2820 CPU benchmarks are slightly better. The GPU is Intel HD2000 based in the C847 and HD2500 based in the N2820 so video is slightly better. It's HD4000 in the i3-3217U if that's the i3 NUC you're referring to and not the new Haswell NUC. For OpenELEC though, the C847 is good if it has the features you want like HDMI, mSATA, etc.

Celeron is a marketing/brand so don't use that to compare anything.
aahhh thanks for the well written answers!

It will be used to stream content from different add-ons both SD and 720 quality.
What i noticed from having an ouya before is that the menu in the nuc when accessing video add-ons are so much quicker, there is a real noticeable difference between ouya and i3 nuc menu wise when pulling upp content. I dont know what causes that difference, but im guessing judging by your answers that it will just as fast as the i3 in that aspect.

What i want to do is give him a complete setup with openelec that i dont have to maintain as much, is just works. The nuc for me has been awesome in that aspect! And the built in IR is a big bonus!
(2014-02-28, 18:50)two515ty Wrote: First, the DN2820FYKH does not take mSATA SSD's.

Not at first, but give 'em a tickle.... RoflCoolBig Grin

It does work. Just not got it in a NUC now Wink
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

LOL. Just get a 2.5" SDD and not bother with all that. Of course, if you already had a mSATA SSD that's a nice way to go.

The built-in IR is a nice feature. If you need that then I think you have your answer for which to go with vs. all the other NUCs.
I did it as it makes it smaller than a 2.5" drive but provides full sized SATA port. 2 adapters.

mSATA to mircoSATA
microSATA to SATA.

Tedious! But works Smile
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
major difference between NUC i3 ivyBridge or the new bay trail DN2820FYKH?0