XBMC no mp3 sound
Hmm, very strange.

The signal path is not as pure using Directsound as the PCM audio will go via the Windows audio mixer, whether you actually notice any difference in quality depend on a number of factors.
I've tested a few movies and they sound ok to me and the app is still picking up the different audio DTS-MA and DD etc. So I'm happy.

Thanks for all your help. It's greatly appreciated.
Just for anybody who was wondering I've now managed to get WASAPI running all round.

For some reason my amp will not play 44.1Khz audio which is weird as the manual states it does.

I since added the advanced setting to resample audio to 48Khz this allows me to play my mp3s via WASAPI and not direct sound.
If you have the time and don't mind being a tester, could you try Gotham Beta 2.

The reason I ask is that Gotham has a completely reworked audio core which may not require use of that advanced setting. However if there's still a problem then I can get the audio devs to take a look and see if anything can be done to improve things for you, as there's no doubt others that might run into the same issue.

So your help in making sure Gotham is as good as it can be would be appreciated.

If you have a stable setup that you don't want to interfere with, then you can install Gotham to a different directory from existing install then run in portable mode so you can use it in total isolation from Frodo, if you're sure in how to do this I can post the required steps.

Gotham Beta 2 can be downloaded from http://mirrors.xbmc.org/releases/
I'd be more than happy to do some tests on Gotham for you.

If you could post up the portable mode instructions that would be great. Mrs would kill me if I messed the existing xbmc up.
Ok to install XBMC Beta 2 in portable mode carry out the following:

1. Download Beta 2 from http://mirrors.xbmc.org/releases/win32/

2. Go to your XBMC folder in your Windows user appdata, use Run from Windows Start menu and type %appdata% to locate if you're not sure where it is, copy this (which is your Frodo data) to new folder called what you want e.g. XBMC Backup (this step isn't really needed but it's a good way to be ultrasafe in ensuring nothing gets lost)

3. Install Beta 2 to a different directory from your existing install, for example assuming your current installation is in a folder named XBMC install Beta 2 to a folder called XBMC-Gotham, it's a good idea here to deselect the Microsoft visual C++ and DirectX options in the installer so no system files are over written, it's not likely to cause an issue leaving these selected but again being ultrasafe.

4. Once installed open folder and look for the XBMC.exe file, right click on it & select Create Shortcut the rename it if you wish to avoid confusion like XBMC Gotham Beta2.

5. Right click on newly created shortcut and select Properties for Target you'll see something like

Code:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC-Gotham\XBMC.exe"

add a -p on the end to run XBMC in portable mode, so it becomes something like:

Code:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC-Gotham\XBMC.exe" -p

6. Open XBMC with the shortcut then once opened immediately close XBMC then check you have a new portable_data folder in the installation folder, this is where Userdata for this Gotham install will reside while running in Portable mode.

7. The last optional step is to import the existing Frodo data if you wish or you can just leave as a clean install for test purposes. Go back to the XBMC appdata folder from Step 2 and within that will be a folder userdata copy that folder and paste into portable_data
With this complete you can continue to use existing XBMC installation as normal but run the Gotham Beta build with the created shortcut and neither will have any affect on the other.
Thanks, do you just want me to test mp3 playback at 44.1khz and report back here?
Yes I'm most interested in whether you get the same problem mp3's at 44.1khz.

Ensure you've got Setting Level set to Advanced in Gotham to see all options and make sure the new Output Configuration setting is set to Best Match, refer to Audio_Settings (wiki) for more on the new audio settings layout.

If you do encounter the same problem then provide a debug log so I can get a dev to take a look.

You can then try Output Configuration set to Fixed and set 48khz as Sampling Rate which will do a similar thing to the advanced setting you're using with Frodo.
Hi mate,

I've tested 44.1KHz playback on Gotham and got the same results as Frodo. No sound using the default options via WASAPI.

Only way I could get it to play was to set the output configuration to fixed and limit sampling rate to 48Khz, this then meant when I played a movie my amp wouldn't detect the audio as DTS etc.

Debug log is provided below when configured using best match.
http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=155892

If you need me to test anything else just ask.
Forgot to mention jjd-uk I played 2 songs first one which was a 44.1Khz and the second which was a 48Khz song.

Looking at the logs it looks like there isn't even any communication when trying to play the 44.1Khz song. With the 48Khz you can clearly see XBMC try and establish a handshake using WASAPI.
(2014-03-23, 10:27)GTunney Wrote: this then meant when I played a movie my amp wouldn't detect the audio as DTS etc.
Could you explain this comment? do you mean you got no DTS unless you use the fixed configuration? or with the fixed configuration in place you got no DTS?
With the fixed configuration in place I got no DTS light on the amp.
Sorry not had much time lately and completely forgot to follow through on this.

Just to confirm what log is telling me, the 44.1khz mp3 was "Changed The Way You Kiss Me" and the 48khz mp3 was "01 Gonorrhea (Prod. by Kane Beatz)"?
Yes that is correct. I thought I'd play both formats incase it revealed anything.
Ok, I have posted about issue over at http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=170338&page=53 to draw the attention of the devs to it and see what they have to say, feel free to add to what I've posted.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC no mp3 sound0