• 2(current)
I think the piracy policy needs updating.
My reply wasn't a blanket solution though in the vast majority its clear where things are going even if the addons havent been named.

Again, This is not a xbmc problem, its not a xbmc issue and therefore in my understanding is we dont have to get involved at all, and if we do, then face the music and dance, just dont complain in the end someone stepped on your toes while dancing Tongue

Having said that and going back to my first point, its annoying (nothing else) to see such posts/threads (especially when its nothing to do with xbmc directly) and currently the accepted is to use the rules stick, instead of trying to educate people and therefore push them firmly into the HUB camp and create a US and THEM scenario, which has already exploded more then once here and likely is going towards that direction again.
(2014-03-02, 09:11)uNiversal Wrote: Actually as a whole, the community just needs to not reply and leave these posts and report post so moderators can bin them or reply or do whatever they feel is appropriate.

Yep. I think it's idiotic to escalate the situation unnecessarily... It's a forum guys and you can ignore these posts if you don't like them, do they really bother you THAT much? It's a good thing we don't give moderator power to everyone I can see....
(2014-03-02, 13:37)nooryani84 Wrote:
(2014-03-02, 09:11)uNiversal Wrote: Actually as a whole, the community just needs to not reply and leave these posts and report post so moderators can bin them or reply or do whatever they feel is appropriate.

Yep. I think it's idiotic to escalate the situation unnecessarily... It's a forum guys and you can ignore these posts if you don't like them, do they really bother you THAT much? It's a good thing we don't give moderator power to everyone I can see....

+1
This reminds me of the nosy neighbour calling the police when they see something that may not be allowed, but doesn't bother anyone... brown nosing to gain points with society instead of minding their own business. I guess I just don't like the conservative approach that's been mentioned here. Word filters, bans, threats, rules.. etc.

If they talk about piracy then tell them they can't. If they continue, then ban them. I mean, that's just common sense.
I am ok if you let us know if some post violates the piracy rules along with spam, advertising and abuse using "report" button
(2014-03-02, 04:59)Piers Wrote: Why not a word replacement for common add-ons that are known to promote piracy? MyBB supports this function.

Example:

User Wrote:
I have just installed Icefilms and can't get it to work, can you help?

Auto-moderated:

User Wrote:
I have just installed PIRACY IS NOT SUPPORTED ON THIS FORUM and can't get it to work, can you help?

Filter:

"Icefilms", "icefilms", "ice-films", "ice films".

This will do three things;

1) Make the user aware when they have posted that they're not going to get support.

2) Help search engines to not index the content related to piracy on this forum = less chance of a user visiting for that sole purpose.

3) Make the moderation of the forum easier and, as a future option, help to facilitate implementation of auto-move to rubbish bin of such threads.

To me, the above seems the most pragmatic way of dealing with an ever-increasing problem.

Good idea. +1
(2014-03-02, 19:00)TugboatBill Wrote:
(2014-03-02, 04:59)Piers Wrote: Why not a word replacement for common add-ons that are known to promote piracy? MyBB supports this function.

Example:

User Wrote:
I have just installed Icefilms and can't get it to work, can you help?

Auto-moderated:

User Wrote:
I have just installed PIRACY IS NOT SUPPORTED ON THIS FORUM and can't get it to work, can you help?

Filter:

"Icefilms", "icefilms", "ice-films", "ice films".

This will do three things;

1) Make the user aware when they have posted that they're not going to get support.

2) Help search engines to not index the content related to piracy on this forum = less chance of a user visiting for that sole purpose.

3) Make the moderation of the forum easier and, as a future option, help to facilitate implementation of auto-move to rubbish bin of such threads.

To me, the above seems the most pragmatic way of dealing with an ever-increasing problem.

Good idea. +1

a very bad idea. -1
If there's going to be a programatic solution to this then I'd prefer the filter to display a warning before the comment is published. So if certain strings are detected then the user would see something like this when they attempt to publish it: "Forum policy forbids discussion of piracy-oriented add-ons and moderators may remove your comment. Are you sure you want to proceed?"

Even this seems a little weird. However automatically applying the filter to the published content seems like a bad idea IMO.
I think the forums should be closed, problem solved.
Well I see this has gone from a personal observation inviting debate to mentions of conservatism, forum closing and general tosh. My suggestion of using filters is because it's a feature already built in to the forum software. It requires very little work to set up and the end result leads to prevention of abuse of clearly stated forum rules.
Please read the online manual (wiki) & FAQ (wiki) before posting.

Skins: Estuary | Xperience1080
Opinion: Never purchase HTC products
THE CONTENTS OF THIS POST HAVE BEEN CENSORED EXCEPT FOR THIS MESSAGE.
(2014-03-02, 21:53)uNiversal Wrote: This is how posts will look like.

I have a **** in my **** when I play anything that I got via my **** its ****** annoying and cant ******** understand what the **** is wrong with my xbmc **** *****

Or

I have a PIRACY in my SWEARWORD when I play anything that I got via my PIRACY its SWEARWORD annoying and cant SWEARWORD understand what the SWEARWORD is wrong with my xbmc PIRACY SWEARWORD

I think you misunderstood my idea. Also, who said anything about swearing? The idea is to make a list of known piracy-only add-ons and replace them with a simple phrase, if the example you give above is a potential user posting about such an add-on then I really don't see what the problem is.

I hate swearing, whty cant we block swearing as well?

Speaking of misunderstandings

CENSORED.
(2014-03-02, 22:08)uNiversal Wrote: I hate swearing, whty cant we block swearing as well?

Speaking of misunderstandings

CENSORED.

?

If swearing is heavily against the rules and international law then it should also be included. Last time I checked it was not.

I'm totally against any form of censorship and the fact that the the feature is built-in to the forum is irrelevant. The current system with "Report" is adequate and I honestly can't see why this doesn't suffice. If you want to censor your forums via a word replacement then do it in your own forums... Let this forum remain a free and open place, let the moderators worry about people who can't behave.

(2014-03-02, 21:28)Piers Wrote: Well I see this has gone from a personal observation inviting debate to mentions of conservatism, forum closing and general tosh. My suggestion of using filters is because it's a feature already built in to the forum software. It requires very little work to set up and the end result leads to prevention of abuse of clearly stated forum rules.

This is debate, we just don't agree with your suggestion.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
I think the piracy policy needs updating.0