• 3(current)
I think the piracy policy needs updating.
(2014-03-02, 22:20)nooryani84 Wrote: I'm totally against any form of censorship and the fact that the the feature is built-in to the forum is irrelevant. The current system with "Report" is adequate and I honestly can't see why this doesn't suffice. If you want to censor your forums via a word replacement then do it in your own forums... Let this forum remain a free and open place, let the moderators worry about people who can't behave.

(2014-03-02, 21:28)Piers Wrote: Well I see this has gone from a personal observation inviting debate to mentions of conservatism, forum closing and general tosh. My suggestion of using filters is because it's a feature already built in to the forum software. It requires very little work to set up and the end result leads to prevention of abuse of clearly stated forum rules.

This is debate, we just don't agree with your suggestion.

That's a fair reply without childish undertones, I'm not a fan of censorship either and my suggestion is merely that; a suggestion. It seems the most straight forward and rational way to move forward, as previously stated.
Please read the online manual (wiki) & FAQ (wiki) before posting.

Skins: Estuary | Xperience1080
Opinion: Never purchase HTC products
Well.. One suggestion:

New users can be required to read a message and type a phrase into a captcha form AFTER registration to activate their account. So basically any user that registers to the forums will have to read a few lines of simple rules in order to activate posting privileges. This won't catch all users, but there will always be a few users who disregard the rules.

However, I still stand by my first statement - use the "Report" button and allow the moderators to do their job. A few posts about addons relating to piracy won't break the forum in the short time they're here.
The problem with that is many users are not aware that pre-sold boxes and installations have software included that is not supported on here. So whilst that's also a good idea it won't help much.

Let's say 10-20 users a week make these posts... That's still a very small minority on these forums. To me at least, this is only a problem if we make a big deal out of it.
Again, it's a simple solution to an increasing problem. There's nothing more I can really say about it.

(2014-03-02, 22:52)nooryani84 Wrote: Let's say 10-20 users a week make these posts... That's still a very small minority on these forums. To me at least, this is only a problem if we make a big deal out of it.

Yes it is a small minority of the forum users that make these "pirated content" posts but the team has stated their stance on discussing "the things that should not be named" here and thus ignoring the issue when someone posts about them would only show forum users that the teams rules aren't enforced which will encourage other new comers or older forum members to post about things they shouldn't.

A keyword filter or some form of automated response to posts containing keywords would go a long way toward keeping the rules enforced without having to have a team member or moderator waste their time replying to the posts saying "don't talk about that here" and then closing a thread 10 times a week.

I don't think a filter to stop these threads in their tracks before anyone has a chance to reply to them and start an on going discussion regarding the who, what, when, where, why of some illegal content addon is a "big deal" merely informing the OP and anyone else that reads it that they should not look for support for such things on this forum and saveing time for the team.

You may see it as "a problem if we make a big deal out of it." but if you were the person who needed to police the forums and close and remove these threads constantly you might see it as the problem it in my opinion it can become.
(2014-03-02, 23:19)Vampirebat Wrote:
(2014-03-02, 22:52)nooryani84 Wrote: Let's say 10-20 users a week make these posts... That's still a very small minority on these forums. To me at least, this is only a problem if we make a big deal out of it.

yes it is a small minority of the forum users that make these "pirated content" posts but the team has stated their stance on discussing "the things that should not be named" here and thus ignoring the issue when someone posts about them would only show forum users that the teams rules aren't enforced which will encourage other new comers or older forum members to post about things they shouldn't.
a keyword filter or some form of automated response to posts containing keywords would go a long way toward keeping the rules enforced without having to have a team member or moderator waste their time replying to the posts saying "don't talk about that here" and then closing a thread 10 times a week.
i don't think a filter to stop these threads in their tracks before anyone has a chance to reply to them and start an on going discussion regarding the who, what, when, where, why of some illegal content addon is a "big deal" merely informing the OP and anyone else that reads it that they should not look for support for such things on this forum and saveing time for the team.
you may see it as "a problem if we make a big deal out of it." but if you were the person who needed to police the forums and close and remove these threads constantly you might see it as the problem it in my opinion it can become.

Well said and Rep.

(2014-03-02, 23:19)Vampirebat Wrote:

Yes it is a small minority of the forum users that make these "pirated content" posts but the team has stated their stance on discussing "the things that should not be named" here and thus ignoring the issue when someone posts about them would only show forum users that the teams rules aren't enforced which will encourage other new comers or older forum members to post about things they shouldn't.

A keyword filter or some form of automated response to posts containing keywords would go a long way toward keeping the rules enforced without having to have a team member or moderator waste their time replying to the posts saying "don't talk about that here" and then closing a thread 10 times a week.

I don't think a filter to stop these threads in their tracks before anyone has a chance to reply to them and start an on going discussion regarding the who, what, when, where, why of some illegal content addon is a "big deal" merely informing the OP and anyone else that reads it that they should not look for support for such things on this forum and saveing time for the team.

You may see it as "a problem if we make a big deal out of it." but if you were the person who needed to police the forums and close and remove these threads constantly you might see it as the problem it in my opinion it can become.

Isn't that the entire point of being a moderator? Your pretty much repeating the same thing Piers mentioned and I still believe the Report function is sufficient.
(2014-03-02, 21:58)Piers Wrote: I think you misunderstood my idea.
Do I really? having a different point of view doesn't mean what you seem to think. Wink

(2014-03-02, 21:58)Piers Wrote: Also, who said anything about swearing?

I did.

(2014-03-02, 22:16)Piers Wrote: ?

If swearing is heavily against the rules and international law then it should also be included. Last time I checked it was not.

it maybe a different kind of censorship, but its still part of forum rules. Under 1.1 #2 Forum_rules#General_conduct (wiki) swearing is not polite by any standards.

Also you must be absolute and abide by every law right? Or you merely suggesting enforcement? mmmm does law define morality?

(2014-03-02, 21:58)Piers Wrote: The idea is to make a list.

There were lots of lists not long ago.... In Countries not far away in a time closer than memory does not forget.
(2014-03-02, 22:20)nooryani84 Wrote: I'm totally against any form of censorship and the fact that the the feature is built-in to the forum is irrelevant. The current system with "Report" is adequate and I honestly can't see why this doesn't suffice. If you want to censor your forums via a word replacement then do it in your own forums... Let this forum remain a free and open place, let the moderators worry about people who can't behave.

(2014-03-02, 21:28)Piers Wrote: Well I see this has gone from a personal observation inviting debate to mentions of conservatism, forum closing and general tosh. My suggestion of using filters is because it's a feature already built in to the forum software. It requires very little work to set up and the end result leads to prevention of abuse of clearly stated forum rules.

This is debate, we just don't agree with your suggestion.

I wouldn't say neither agree nor disagree, but definitely we are starting from different points of view, clearly we grew up in different realities.

(2014-03-02, 22:28)Piers Wrote: That's a fair reply without childish undertones,

Im not sure what to make of that but ok, I agreed to dance with you so Im not going to complain you stepped on my toes, Its a debate after all so being poilte is also requirement especially in debates otherwise this reinds me of the DALEKS.... Exterminate!
Once you start censoring posts it's a slippery slope to all out dictatorial control of peoples thoughts. Again I re-iterate XBMC forums shouldn't be the gatekeepers of all that is right in the world. The program XBMC is only a conduit to media, and support forums shouldn't direct peoples actions and remind them of copyright control. I wonder if VLC, Utorrent or Winrar webs sites have this kind of censorship, they can all be abused in many ways.

The mere mention of 'those' add-ons shouldn't bring condemnation, a polite we just don't support or link because of piracy, should suffice.
Editing the posts would stop the threads showing up in google searches.

And changing individual nouns of prohibited topics is merely an extension of the prohibition on swear words and spam and is more than acceptable given how light handed it is.
Indeed PatK.

XBMC is a source of enjoyment,,the forums are far from that enjoyment, but not that far to stop the community from educating people in the right way, even if it is not a enjoyable task.

At any rate its a thankless job.

I am more concerned that people are coming here to forums asking for help and cant even be respectful and rarely post proper questions and information. Fostering the idea of the whip, will not help the task these forums are here to do.

And thats it, Im done with this debate, This is all so very poignant.

(2014-03-02, 23:49)Karnagious Wrote: Editing the posts would stop the threads showing up in google searches.

And changing individual nouns of prohibited topics is merely an extension of the prohibition on swear words and spam and is more than acceptable given how light handed it is.

Doesnt editing the sites robots.txt do similar?
(2014-03-02, 23:40)PatK Wrote: Once you start censoring posts it's a slippery slope to all out dictatorial control of peoples thoughts. Again I re-iterate XBMC forums shouldn't be the gatekeepers of all that is right in the world. The program XBMC is only a conduit to media, and support forums shouldn't direct peoples actions and remind them of copyright control. I wonder if VLC, Utorrent or Winrar webs sites have this kind of censorship, they can all be abused in many ways.

The mere mention of 'those' add-ons shouldn't bring condemnation, a polite we just don't support or link because of piracy, should suffice.

Couldn't have put it better myself.
(2014-03-02, 22:40)nooryani84 Wrote: Well.. One suggestion:

New users can be required to read a message and type a phrase into a captcha form AFTER registration to activate their account.

That doesn't seem to stop bots in the wiki and the captcha is triggered when posting links to external sites, so I have no reason to believe the forum is more or less immune to captcha bypass, even if for spite sake people just ignore what's being displayed and not to speak of technicalities... you cant say because a button was pressed that the person doing the pressing is the person doing whatever and or that they read or even understood what's being displayed when the pressing was done.

(2014-03-02, 23:49)Karnagious Wrote: Editing the posts would stop the threads showing up in google searches.

Doesn't editing the sites robots.txt do similar? Not a suggestion just a observation, I just mention it because seems to be confused often with opinion.

Prohibition? There's a good example of this if I ever saw one. They had that with alcohol somewhere, not long ago, though longer and farther away then I can remember (unlike oppression), look how well that turned out. Tongue

(2014-03-03, 00:02)nooryani84 Wrote: Couldn't have put it better myself.

Yep, almost. But Prohibition is a great example. Perhaps the best yet.
The idea of a word filter was once discussed within the Team and rejected. Especially since many add-on names are also names for legitimate things, like mash up or xfinity or hub.

No solution will catch people 100% of the time before posting something, but I would like to give a better exposed link/example of the rules to those who honestly want to follow the rules, but just were not aware of them.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
I think the piracy policy needs updating.0