• 4(current)
I think the piracy policy needs updating.
(2014-03-02, 23:32)uNiversal Wrote:
(2014-03-02, 21:58)Piers Wrote: I think you misunderstood my idea.
Do I really? having a different point of view doesn't mean what you seem to think. Wink

(2014-03-02, 21:58)Piers Wrote: Also, who said anything about swearing?

I did.

(2014-03-02, 22:16)Piers Wrote: ?

If swearing is heavily against the rules and international law then it should also be included. Last time I checked it was not.

it maybe a different kind of censorship, but its still part of forum rules. Under 1.1 #2 Forum_rules#General_conduct (wiki) swearing is not polite by any standards.

Also you must be absolute and abide by every law right? Or you merely suggesting enforcement? mmmm does law define morality?

(2014-03-02, 21:58)Piers Wrote: The idea is to make a list.

There were lots of lists not long ago.... In Countries not far away in a time closer than memory does not forget.
(2014-03-02, 22:20)nooryani84 Wrote: I'm totally against any form of censorship and the fact that the the feature is built-in to the forum is irrelevant. The current system with "Report" is adequate and I honestly can't see why this doesn't suffice. If you want to censor your forums via a word replacement then do it in your own forums... Let this forum remain a free and open place, let the moderators worry about people who can't behave.

(2014-03-02, 21:28)Piers Wrote: Well I see this has gone from a personal observation inviting debate to mentions of conservatism, forum closing and general tosh. My suggestion of using filters is because it's a feature already built in to the forum software. It requires very little work to set up and the end result leads to prevention of abuse of clearly stated forum rules.

This is debate, we just don't agree with your suggestion.

I wouldn't say neither agree nor disagree, but definitely we are starting from different points of view, clearly we grew up in different realities.

(2014-03-02, 22:28)Piers Wrote: That's a fair reply without childish undertones,

Im not sure what to make of that but ok, I agreed to dance with you so Im not going to complain you stepped on my toes, Its a debate after all so being poilte is also requirement especially in debates otherwise this reinds me of the DALEKS.... Exterminate!

Grow up.

As Ned has now mentioned that lists were previously discussed, I see no reason to continue this debate - especially since a few appear to be left wing oddballs.
Please read the online manual (wiki) & FAQ (wiki) before posting.

Skins: Estuary | Xperience1080
Opinion: Never purchase HTC products
(2014-03-02, 23:58)uNiversal Wrote: Indeed PatK.

XBMC is a source of enjoyment,,the forums are far from that enjoyment, but not that far to stop the community from educating people in the right way, even if it is not a enjoyable task.

At any rate its a thankless job.

I am more concerned that people are coming here to forums asking for help and cant even be respectful and rarely post proper questions and information. Fostering the idea of the whip, will not help the task these forums are here to do.

And thats it, Im done with this debate, This is all so very poignant.

(2014-03-02, 23:49)Karnagious Wrote: Editing the posts would stop the threads showing up in google searches.

And changing individual nouns of prohibited topics is merely an extension of the prohibition on swear words and spam and is more than acceptable given how light handed it is.

Doesnt editing the sites robots.txt do similar?
Wouldn't that eliminate google searches completely? We wouldn't want that, especially with the 4 letter minimum search length on the forum's inbuilt search. Google is absolutely essential for searching the forum sometimes.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-03-03, 00:43)Piers Wrote: I see no reason to continue this debate - especially since a few appear to be left wing oddballs.

What debate? Seemingly there was never one, it was more you telling/dictating what should be done and that it.

(2014-03-03, 01:31)nickr Wrote: Wouldn't that eliminate google searches completely? We wouldn't want that, especially with the 4 letter minimum search length on the forum's inbuilt search. Google is absolutely essential for searching the forum sometimes.

Yes, but thats not the point, it was a question.

How many people come here asking for help and actually search anything, even when they say they did rarely did they actually did, and thats my observation, not an opinion.

There were lots of lists not long ago.... In Countries not far away in a time closer than memory does not forget.

Godwin's Law, already? Undecided
Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
(2014-03-03, 02:08)thrak76 Wrote:

Godwin's Law, already? Undecided

Noticed that as well.

(2014-03-02, 01:51)Piers Wrote: I've answered multiple posts in the last few days - all relating to add-ons from "thesitewhichIwillnotmention". These are mostly from people who appear to have purchased pre-loaded devices and assume that this is the place to come.

As discussed here, mentioned here, here, here, here, here, here, here and the list goes on and on.

I think the easiest way to get around this is for the big yellow announcement box at the top to display a clear message, which can be dismissed. I know the rules are set out and there are more than enough moderators and staff to deal with this, but it's getting beyond a joke.

I would add this point to the existing thread but that's regarding hardware, mostly.

You are referring to users that are start making use of xbmc, just look at their profiles.
They don't know about the difference between xbmc.org and other third party xbmc forums, and know nothing about the mess between those forums.

Some of those users did bought a cheap box on ebay and have questions about xbmc.
Nothing seams to work. To find help we all make use of our friend google, that first time user does make use of google too, as result of that this xbmc forum has been found.

A lot of those users don't read help manuals, faq or forum rules, they will click those forum rules right away, even if they where shown automatically.

You shouldn't be that hard on starting xbmc users, xbmc should be promoted as a great multimedia solution.

I am thinking about an other solution. New xbmc users will get a subscription to the forum rules, so they know where to find them. All new users will get a welcome message explaining what they should know about piracy forums, with a link to the forum rules.
If an user does break the forum rules about piracy, you can refer to the welcome message containing the forum rules.
Many forums adopt a posture where you can only post your own thread when you have a minimium amount of posts, this gives time for new users to get familiar and participate in other threads therefore by getting familiar with the community they seek to join.

That would be preferable and would serve both purposes and further the cause of user education and less us and them mentalities.
(2014-03-03, 02:47)uNiversal Wrote: Many forums adopt a posture where you can only post your own thread when you have a minimium amount of posts, this gives time for new users to get familiar and participate in other threads therefore by getting familiar with the community they seek to join.

That would be preferable and would serve both purposes and further the cause of user education and less us and them mentalities.

That is a horrible idea.
(2014-03-03, 03:00)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2014-03-03, 02:47)uNiversal Wrote: Many forums adopt a posture where you can only post your own thread when you have a minimium amount of posts, this gives time for new users to get familiar and participate in other threads therefore by getting familiar with the community they seek to join.

That is a horrible idea.

+1

or is it -1?

Anyway, I agree with Ned.

I reckon a keyword substitution is the least invassive, most effective policy. Nobody needs to respond and the policy is brought to the users attention immediately.

Simply replace Icefilms etc with "Please dont discuss piracy or piracy addons on this forum".

You could even hyperlink it to an explanation of the policy, where the user could look for help (i.e. not here, try their forums), and what the user can ask about here (basically anything other than piracy addon help).

I think this is a great idea that new users are not allowed to make new threads, unless they have a minimum of posts or are member for a minimum number of days. I think new users should start reading the forum, faq, the wiki instead of asking questions that have been asked so many times before.
We're not doing word substitution

We're not going to make someone become familiar with the XBMC community to just ask one question. Off-topic thread hijacking is already an issue with new users.
(2014-03-03, 01:51)uNiversal Wrote:
(2014-03-03, 01:31)nickr Wrote: Wouldn't that eliminate google searches completely? We wouldn't want that, especially with the 4 letter minimum search length on the forum's inbuilt search. Google is absolutely essential for searching the forum sometimes.

Yes, but thats not the point, it was a question.

How many people come here asking for help and actually search anything, even when they say they did rarely did they actually did, and thats my observation, not an opinion.
I'm not talking about whether new users search or not. I am talking about the stupidity of suggesting our robots.txt should prevent google from searching here.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-03-03, 03:56)Ned Scott Wrote: We're not doing word substitution

We're not going to make someone become familiar with the XBMC community to just ask one question. Off-topic thread hijacking is already an issue with new users.

Well I think Ned has cleared that up.

In that case an extended sticky thread listing more names of commonly used piracy add-ons might be helpful. One stuck in the main support area and one stuck in the video add-ons area.

I think that http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=187933 post 4 and post 7 is the right way to go towards education and if the information imparted on these posts by team member's are any guidance I think both posts 4 and 7 are spot on.

So the sticky threads or wiki warnings "could" indeed contain the information on there if the team chooses to.

I have maintained that education is a better option over censorship, as a community that exists for the purpose of support/education on xbmc, this is the way to go.
(2014-03-03, 03:56)Ned Scott Wrote: We're not going to make someone become familiar with the XBMC community to just ask one question.
100% agreed to No education and No number of posts required just to ask one question.....Nod
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
I think the piracy policy needs updating.0