how to change hdmi drivers from microsoft to AMD/ATI
I had something similiar where I had noticed no matter which driver I installed it would always show "High Definition Audio Controller" with an exclamation mark and it was driving me crazy as couldn't get HDMI to be recognised for audio - only video (ie extend or mirror displays worked fine).

I have now worked out it's def a driver conflict between what appears to be Microsoft's standard driver for audio (that comes with Windows 8 via online driver collection) and realtek or amd drivers (when you try to install either of them).

I finally had a eureka moment this weekend and started a new install of Windows 8.1 BUT this is what I did:
1. I disabled the onboard sound via the BIOS
2. I went through the windows setup but on setup I chose customize settings rather than express settings - in here you need to ensure (for now) that it won't try and find/download and install drivers via windows update so turn this off for now
3. Now when I finished the rest of the setup and got into Windows I simply downloaded the realtek AMD driver from: http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/down...Down=false
Select "ATI HDMI Audio Device" (2.70) and run and install this.
4. Restart your PC and you will have the HDMI audio working now. I tested this with the AMD Catalyst Drivers too and it did work ok too but I'd read in a few places it was better to use the Realtek driver as it was better(?).

I have tested and DTS and Dolby Digital definitely work fine (all my amp can support - it's old!).

Anyways it is all working fine and I know if I ever need to rebuild or anything that I can confidently get it working fine.
(2014-04-14, 23:28)zimbo_ouen Wrote: 1. I disabled the onboard sound via the BIOS
You cannot use your laptop speaker anymore, right?
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
I am using an Acer Revo RL70 so it's a dedicated PC for a media center and connected only to my TV via HDMI.

I recon once you have the HDMI audio working with its correct drivers using the steps I mentioned, there's a good chance you can go back to your bios, enable the onboard sound and let those get installed as I don't believe there would be a conflict anymore.

Give it a go and see?
(2014-04-15, 20:59)zimbo_ouen Wrote: I am using an Acer Revo RL70 so it's a dedicated PC for a media center and connected only to my TV via HDMI.
I thought that you had the same issue as OP. Since you don't have internal speaker to deal with, it might be entirely different issue....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
I am having the same problem. Installing those drivers just added the realtek HDMI which didn't work. How do install the ATI HDMI drivers?
I only got this successfully working from a clean new install of windows. I spent hours and hours trying to get it working from an existing installation so can't help there I'm afraid.
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. I had everything running fine and I had to reinstall windows due to a crash and now its screwed up.

I hate to go through reinstalling just to try and fix it, so if anyone has a better solution, please let me know.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
how to change hdmi drivers from microsoft to AMD/ATI1